A Bit Of Hope?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
506am
Embryo
Embryo

A Bit Of Hope?

Post by 506am »

The past few days have been a whirlwind. First, after 24 years, Pink Floyd put aside their differences and play together for a great, wordly cause. Second, they show they still have that magic and the ability to completely consume an audience. Third, with all of the technology available in 2005 I have had their entire 4-song set on CD-R since Saturday Night and the entire video since Monday. Fourth, and this is where the "bit of hope" sits, reading an interview with Nick Mason and he said when Bob Geldof phoned Dave about Live 8 Dave declined.

Nick said Dave is working on a new solo venture and Nick completely understood why Dave would not want to get sidetracked. But then...Roger Waters phoned David Gilmour...and as Nick said, "That sealed it."

They were joking around at rehearsals and Roger and Dave have ended their feud. This is very tremendous news for the future. I don't see any Pink Floyd reunion any time soon. However, by late 2006, early 2007, after Roger and Dave have competed their latest solo journeys, I could see something happening.

They all were smiling and enjoying the moment Saturday evening. Those smiles can't be forced. If Roger calling Dave "sealed it" then this obviously points to the fact that neither man wants to continue adrift from the other.

With age comes wisdom. Fortunately each has seen that the past 24 years have slipped away. Doesn't mean the next 24 have to. I believe there is a great opportunity here for Pink Floyd. Exactly how they approach this remains to be seen, but I do not believe that 2 July 2005 was the final performance.
kjh19651
Embryo
Embryo

Re: A Bit Of Hope?

Post by kjh19651 »

506am wrote:The past few days have been a whirlwind. First, after 24 years, Pink Floyd put aside their differences and play together for a great, wordly cause. Second, they show they still have that magic and the ability to completely consume an audience. Third, with all of the technology available in 2005 I have had their entire 4-song set on CD-R since Saturday Night and the entire video since Monday. Fourth, and this is where the "bit of hope" sits, reading an interview with Nick Mason and he said when Bob Geldof phoned Dave about Live 8 Dave declined.

Nick said Dave is working on a new solo venture and Nick completely understood why Dave would not want to get sidetracked. But then...Roger Waters phoned David Gilmour...and as Nick said, "That sealed it."

They were joking around at rehearsals and Roger and Dave have ended their feud. This is very tremendous news for the future. I don't see any Pink Floyd reunion any time soon. However, by late 2006, early 2007, after Roger and Dave have competed their latest solo journeys, I could see something happening.

They all were smiling and enjoying the moment Saturday evening. Those smiles can't be forced. If Roger calling Dave "sealed it" then this obviously points to the fact that neither man wants to continue adrift from the other.

With age comes wisdom. Fortunately each has seen that the past 24 years have slipped away. Doesn't mean the next 24 have to. I believe there is a great opportunity here for Pink Floyd. Exactly how they approach this remains to be seen, but I do not believe that 2 July 2005 was the final performance.
The most wishful feeling Ive evver come across...It will never happen Im afraid... :(
nilskt
Embryo
Embryo

Post by nilskt »

I really hope you are right!

-Nils, Norway
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Re: A Bit Of Hope?

Post by Charade I am »

506am wrote: Fortunately each has seen that the past 24 years have slipped away. Doesn't mean the next 24 have to.
:roll:
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

I hope your correct.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Plenty of people had hopes for a Live 8 reunion, but before the final confirmation came through the doomsayers held sway. There is no point in being negative just for the sake of it, and every point in holding out hope.

To quote Rogers and Hammerstein: If you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?
Mundi
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mundi »

I?m very sceptic about comebacks. Although this particular one turned out to be successful in every aspect, I am really worried that any further PF "full team" creative work might just turn out to be dissappointing to a lot of people. Unless, of course they would only play their old, wonderful stuff, but that would just get tiresome after a bit, not to mention for the band itself.

Why not just keep this remarkable point in musical history exactly what it is: a remarkable point in musical history, a beutiful memory. Something for us to tell our grandchildren about in the distant future, and show them on the old, dusty DVD-player :D
FreddyC
Embryo
Embryo

A comeback?

Post by FreddyC »

I wouldn't mind seeing them do some sort of tour.

I realize alot of people don't like that sort of thing and that's OK. If they wanted to keep it fresh and not make it so much of a tiresome "same old, same old" in regards to playing the songs, they could always strip it down to a smaller band. Kind of like what they did at Live 8. Play the songs that they feel most like playing. Hell, I'd pay 75 bucks to watch them play for an hour.

Freddy
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

all is doomed
mrmago67
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mrmago67 »

Although live 8 was fantastic and floyd were gr8 to say u wouldnt mind seeing them live as they were for an hour or so really misses the whole point of a floyd concert cos its never been about just the music alone its about the show lazers lights video in the background the odd diridgable or two etc its the whole pakage, even so july 2nd was a novalty. I hope they do tour in the future but age isnt on there side anymore, but never say die.
PhilB
Axe
Axe

Post by PhilB »

Mundi wrote:Why not just keep this remarkable point in musical history exactly what it is: a remarkable point in musical history, a beutiful memory. Something for us to tell our grandchildren about in the distant future, and show them on the old, dusty DVD-player :D
I totally agree, the only thing that could top this would be the impossible - like a performance with Syd.
Jangus
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jangus »

They settled their fued and thats the best news ever. Who knows, maybe they will play together once on their next tours.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Though I don't look for any tours in the future I could see them making a cd or 2.Think about it,they have the materal in front of them and it's the way they let the bullshit tear them apart and the time they let it eatup.Roger with a little bit of help from the rest could come up with the lyrics,then the band could make some great music for it.That's what the P-F have always wrote thier best stuff about anyway.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

yeah i remember someone said a while ago that the instrumentals' made on the recordings of Division Bell would make a full CD.
Grendel

Not just the music?

Post by Grendel »

mrmago67 wrote:...its never been about just the music alone its about the show lazers lights video in the background ...
Never say never. It used to be only the music, pre- DSOTM (or thereabouts) - late 60s, early 70s gigs (e.g. Royal Festival Hall 1969 - I was there).

As a really, really old fart I have to say I was faintly amused to realise that probably 80-90% of the crowd in Hyde Park had not been born when DSOTM came out, and a pretty high percentage probably hadn't been born when PF last played together. :wink: