Bass on Pigs (Three Different Ones)?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
vintagequeen
Embryo
Embryo

Bass on Pigs (Three Different Ones)?

Post by vintagequeen »

I've read in numerous places that the famous bass playing in Pigs (Three Different Ones) on Animals is actually David's as opposed to Roger's work.

Could anyone confirm the reality behind this please?
Last edited by vintagequeen on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Not in any of the credit lists I've read...they credit the bass on Pigs 3DO to Roger.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

I realise you're going to have two seemingly conflicting responses now, but it is true that David played the bass on P(3DO).

If it's melodic, it's David. Good rule of thumb.
sunny dunes
Axe
Axe

Post by sunny dunes »

Just based on the sound and the notes, I believe it is David, but I have no clear proof.

It has been said that Gilmour played more bass than is usually realized -- Dave has said that Roger, upon winning yet another "best bassist" award, would say "Thanks for another one, buddy!" As far as I can remember, Dave is only widely known to have played bass on "Hey You" (fretless) and "One of These Days" (one of the two, Roger playing the other), so if what Dave says is true, then there much be a fair bit of Gilmour bass-playing going uncredited. You have hit on one that seems a pretty likely contender.
vintagequeen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by vintagequeen »

That David quote is exactly what brought me to ask about "Pigs."

I'm slightly skeptical though, given that David and Roger were going through one of their public argument phases at the time this quote was printed, I believe.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

It's David on a fretless.

Some funny remarks about this common mistake are to be found in this review:
http://www.progressiveears.com/asp/revi ... 068&bhcp=1
Last edited by Anna-Roza on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I stand corrected then! So do my sources, I presume! :lol:
sunny dunes
Axe
Axe

Post by sunny dunes »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I stand corrected then! So do my sources, I presume! :lol:
Well, these instrument listings are notoriously inaccurate, even in print. The Another Brick in the Wall book by Cliff Jones had all kinds of inaccuracies in it, yet purported to have the actual instrument listing for each song. So unless the source seems to be something more than someone's best guess, I would take it with a grain of salt. (It was only with Nick's new book that I found out "Remember a Day" had Norman Smith on drums.)

But the rest of us saying it's Dave on "Pigs" doesn't necessarily make it so. The Floyd deserve a good breakdown of their sessions like The Beatles Recording Sessions.
Jangus
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jangus »

It's fairly common knowledge that Dave plays bass on that.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

sunny dunes wrote:
But the rest of us saying it's Dave on "Pigs" doesn't necessarily make it so. The Floyd deserve a good breakdown of their sessions like The Beatles Recording Sessions.
No...but the FACT that it's in keeping with Gilmour's melodic sense, as well as the fact that it's played on a fretless (the mere suggestion of Roger playing a fretless once made Gilmour laugh out loud,) AND the fact that Roger never played the bassline live (Snowy White did that) all suggest that it ain't Roger on the album.

I agree with you on the book idea. That Beatles book was astounding in it's revelations of what was done...even broke down some of their "secrets" at getting some of those weird sounds they got.
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Yeah, Gilmour on fretless bass on the album, but Snowy on bass for the concerts, and David on lead, Roger on Rhythm.....
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

This kind of ties in with that old thread: Roger as a bass player.

I do think it is David on the album version, however. He also played fretless on Hey you because Roger couldnt play fretless (it is actually quite a bit harder) and he also played on One of these days with Roger. Besides that I dont think he has done much else on the bass.
relicsmusic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by relicsmusic »

also david plays bass on fat old sun.
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

According to "The Pink Floyd Encyclopedia" pg. 241

The musicians on Pigs (Three Different Ones)

David Gilmour (guitar, bass guitar)
Nick Mason (drums)
Roger Waters (vocals)
Richard Wright (clavinet, organ, piano, synthesizer)