records you've been into lately..?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

records you've been into lately..?

Post by mostHigh »

which records besides pink floyd ones have you really been digging lately in your cd player or players or disc changers?

for me the list is something like this:

1) Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers - The Last DJ
2) Tom Petty and the HeartBreakers - Echo
3) Mother Hips - Green Hills of the Earth
4) Chris Robinson - New Earth Mud
5) Black Crowes - a bootleg show that is AMAZING
6) Marc Ford - It's About Time
Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David »

AIR - Moon Safari
Donnie Darko Soundtrack
Rick Wright - Wet Dream
Alan Parson's Project - Greaterst Hits Vol 1
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Syd_Roger_Rick_Nick_David wrote: Alan Parson's Project - Greatest Hits Vol 1
I went to sleep with that on the other night.

I haven't been listening to many Non-Floyd albums lately (Various MP3 singles, mostly).
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Mark Knopfler-The Ragpickers Dream
Mike Oldfield-Tres Lunas
David Gilmour D.V.D

Nothing else out at the moment worth listening to for me!!!!.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Ozric Tentacles - Arboresence
Ozric Tentacles - Afterswish
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
Mansun - Six
The Sisters Of Mercy - A Slight Case Of Overbombing
mogweezer1

Post by mogweezer1 »

Um...a lot of odd bits and pieces i grabbed from napster/winmx over the last few years. My Cd's are up in the loft and i am teaching in China so it's just mp3 for me while i travel:

Cambodian Rocks[cd/comp]: Before Pol Pot's bloody regime Cambodia must have been a fantastic place for psych' music...this compilation was (apparently) discovered by a tourist who heard the tape playing on a bus...the tourist returned home and managed to get an official rls! about 18 tracks long I urge anyone to grab it if they have a passing interest in 60's psychedelia...

Mercury Rev: Deserters Songs : I travelled the globe with this one and listened to it endlessly...A total departure from their previous lp's but that doesn't change a thing. Short and sweet...

Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 : Spiritualized remain Britains finest one man band (in my opinion)...Sweeping melodies beautiful orchestration and not a fault in sight. Spacemen 3's 'Perfect Prescription/Playing with Fire/Recurring are more of the same...still criminally underrated Brit psych/rock.

Bob Dylan: Desire. I always liked bob's 60's output but this later lp was a recent discovery. I dont' think it is instantly accessible but give it a few listens and u'll see it's one of his better 'later' albums...maybe im just getting old?!

Lou Reed/VU : nothing needs to be said. THE ultimate rock and roll band. When people stop praising the Beatles (Wings?Ivor the Engine?etc..) the Velvets will still retain their cool. Lou Reed as a solo artist, although never living up to his VU days, is still great to listen to. Like Dylan he's a great lyricist...althougth i would say lou was certainly a more consistent 'musician'.

Mike Dearborn : Document. A low key techno purist. Mike's twiddling the right nobs...Check out his earlier stuff on the Dutch DJAX label for some serious head poundage. 'Document' is a seamless mix that works really well.

Mark EG Live WEMF 1999/8?. A trance mix from the Canadian Electronic Music fetsival...also being played on my stereo here in the land of rice is a half-decent Jon the Dentist mix from the same event. Not exactly ground-breaking but it's all reliable quality trance that (thankfully) never evaporates into cheese. Underground?...yeah...and that's where the innovations in electronic music will always remain...

I gotta teach...

Peace all...and cheers to Keith for running a great board!

MgWzR
mogweezer1

Post by mogweezer1 »

Prkl wrote:Ozric Tentacles - Arboresence
Ozric Tentacles - Afterswish
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift
Mansun - Six
The Sisters Of Mercy - A Slight Case Of Overbombing
LOL...my girlfriend was listening to some 'Eat Static' yesterday...much to my surprise (Eat Static are 2 of the bods from the Ozrics')

I haven't listened to the Ozrics for years...cheers for the reminder!

P

M
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

The Jam - Greatest Hits
How this band never did anything in the US is a complete mystery to me. Songs like "That's Entertainment", "Going Underground", "A Town Called Malice", and "Eton Rifles", are some of the best songs of the late 70's/early 80's.

Graham Nash - Songs For Survivors
Not a very fashionable choice, but this is a bloody good album. Arguably the best of the recent run of CSN&Y projects, and I actually prefer it to Neil Young's last CD. "Chelsea Hotel" and "Liar's Nightmare" are great songs, and there's a great version of the Richard & Linda Thompson song "Pavanne".

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music For Airports
Great album to wind down to after a day at work. Just leave it running in the backgroung, sit back and relax.

Not sure if this counts, but my CD's of the Alan Partridge radio shows are in pretty heavy rotation as well. Helps me get my daily fix of British comedy.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

dgsyd1 wrote:Not sure if this counts, but my CD's of the Alan Partridge radio shows are in pretty heavy rotation as well. Helps me get my daily fix of British comedy.
Alan Partridge is unbelievably funny!! Ah ha!

You should get yourself a copy of "The Office" series 1 on DVD. That is very funny too!! A strange type of comedy is that. :-)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

And The League Of gentlemen is even better than the office, i reccomend series 1 on video or dvd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Good records i've heard recently, try:

Tommy- The Who
The White Album- The Beatles
Murmur- Rem
Screamadelica- primal Scream
Mosely Shoals- Ocean Colour Scene
Gold- Ryan Adams, not Bryan Adams 'cause he's crap
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

I keep hearing about The Office, but i've yet to see it as BBCAmerica still haven't shown it. Maybe i'll send them an email and ask them to show it. I wont wait up for it though, i've been bombarding them with emails for over a year to show Only Fools And Horses.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

bloody hell, what have i been listening to?

only thing that stands out is Pros and Cons.. but thats Floydian so it dont count ;)

um

Radiohead - OK Computer popped up a few times. borrowed it from my gf's dad, to give it a whirl - not too bad an album. nothing stodd out, though.

had Steppin' Out (Best of Joe Jackson) playing about a week ago.

I also had an album on repeat, cant remember what it was though (it was on repeat for 5 and a half days until i decided i was completely sick of it). that was a while ago now, though.

cant remember what it was...
Allos
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Allos »

The Doors - The Doors
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The Flaming lips are my flavour of the mounth at the mo !
and I am listening to Uli jon Roth who used to be in the scorpions upto 1977, picked up his 3 disc box set for £4.00. At its not that bad