If...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

If...

Post by crofloyd »

If you see Syd Barrett on the street what would you tell him?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I would tell him I would be interested in seeing some of his art work. :)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I would tell him "drugs are bad"

Speaking of Syd, anyone know what's he's up to now aside from living with his sister? I mean, how crazy is he?
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

He is crazy as a diamond
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Syd aint crazy, he's just a little lost in the woods. Apparently, is getting much better. He watched the Omnibus Crazy Diamond programme on BBC2 last year and said he liked seeing his old friend Mike Leonard but thought the rest a little loud!!

He is just quietly living his life in a world in his mind much as we all do. Is the world truly how we preceive it to be anyway? The mentality of others is only judged by the normality and average of others. Perhaps we are indeed the crazy ones who are deemed "normal" minded. Who the hell is normal anyway? I have never seen a normal person in my life. Either it is because English people are a strange breed where I live or I am indeed crazy and see the world in a strange way...

Time for my medicine... a mug of coffee... :D

Post by Guest »

He lives by himself in a Cambridge suberb, and has done ever sice his mother died in 1991. He has little contact with anyone apart from his younger sister Rose, although he knows the names of all the children on his street. He is apparently happier now than he's been since before his Pink Floyd days, although he'd probably be happier if idiots didn't keep knocking on his door. For all intents and purposes Syd Barrett ceased to exist over 25 years ago, and Roger Barrett lives a quiet life painting and gardening in his Cambridge home.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

kjnpf wrote:Is the world truly how we preceive it to be anyway?
I am of the mind that it IS how we perceive it. There are those who say that the world around us is an illusion. I don't subscribe to that. The world around us is composed of matter arranged in very specific formations that depend not at all upon the perceptions of people. To put it in a more graphic fashion...the color blue is the color blue. "Blue" is determined by a specific arrangement of light rays. The color blue is not dependent upon the observer. However, if one should perceive the color blue to be (shall we say) "Red," then that would indicate an abnormality in their visual sense. The blue light has not changed to a red light for this person, their "faulty" visual perception is incorrectly registering the light.

Make sense?

However, I will agree that the world around us only has the signifigance that we ascribe to it. Nothing is important in the greater scheme of things, except however important it is to you.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

No two people see the same rainbow!! It changes depending on where you are looking at it from. :lol:

My band wrote a song called "Nothing Nowhere" and that inspired some thought in me. It is about life and death. Existing in the physical world or not.

If you think about it, you can take a space where physical matter exists and then half it. Cut it in half again, again, again and so on. You are only bound by the tools you use to carry on halving and you could keep doing that infinitely. You never arrive at a point where the matter could be said to exist. This is why I think there is life after death, or rather existance carries on but not in this average physical space.

When we die, we are as nothing nowhere as we were when we were alive. Perhaps this is just fantasism trying to avoid the sticky issue of death or perhaps it is a valid point. What do you all think then?? Am I a crazy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

kjnpf wrote:No two people see the same rainbow!! It changes depending on where you are looking at it from. :lol:

It appears as if you are joking...but I will nevertheless state that the rainbow does not actually change...it remains the same. Again, perceptions are NOT reality. Perceptions are merely INTERPRETATIONS of reality and as such are subjective, flawed and often have very little to do with what reality really is:P
kjnpf wrote:If you think about it, you can take a space where physical matter exists and then half it. Cut it in half again, again, again and so on. You are only bound by the tools you use to carry on halving and you could keep doing that infinitely. You never arrive at a point where the matter could be said to exist.
And why not? It seems to me that if you keep halving the space, you are either going to run out of space for the matter to exist in or shrink the matter along with the space. To say that you would never arrive at a point where the matter could be said to exist is (to me, anyway) nonsense. Would you mind explaining this one a bit?

And no...I don't think you're crazy...at least not any crazier than I am:P
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

mosespa wrote:
kjnpf wrote:No two people see the same rainbow!! It changes depending on where you are looking at it from. :lol:

It appears as if you are joking...but I will nevertheless state that the rainbow does not actually change...it remains the same. Again, perceptions are NOT reality. Perceptions are merely INTERPRETATIONS of reality and as such are subjective, flawed and often have very little to do with what reality really is:P
No, seriously. The rainbow changes from different viewing positions so no two people can see the same one. We have something in the UK called the "Open University" where lectures and programmes are shown late at night on BBC2. I saw the programme on there about light and stuff like that. It is completely true. :)

kjnpf wrote:If you think about it, you can take a space where physical matter exists and then half it. Cut it in half again, again, again and so on. You are only bound by the tools you use to carry on halving and you could keep doing that infinitely. You never arrive at a point where the matter could be said to exist.
And why not? It seems to me that if you keep halving the space, you are either going to run out of space for the matter to exist in or shrink the matter along with the space. To say that you would never arrive at a point where the matter could be said to exist is (to me, anyway) nonsense. Would you mind explaining this one a bit?

And no...I don't think you're crazy...at least not any crazier than I am:P

You would reach the final point only when your become constrained by your ability to measure. Matter exists I think but it is hard to say where it is specifically. And I mean specifically!! :-) :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Not to labor a point, but to suggest that anything changes depending upon anything other than the factor of change itself is to suggest that the thing has no definition or identity.

If the thing has no definition or identity, it cannot exist.

To suggest that a rainbow itself changes depending upon what angle you view it from is to say that the rainbow (even the light refraction) has NO identity or definiton and so it cannot possibly exist.

In this case, nothing is being observed.

A rainbow may APPEAR to change as you yourself change your position in relation to the rainbow because you are viewing it from different angles and thus are seeing things from one angle that you could not see from another, but those differences already exist and did exist even before you observed them.

The rainbow has not changed...only your position in relation to the rainbow.

We can carry this on for weeks...or at least until you grow tired of it and delete these posts :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

A rainbow does not physically exist as one finite thing. When the light photons travel through water droplets, the white light is separated like those prisms do. If you move to a different position then there are new photons you see and not the old ones that another person sees at the same time. :)

If we were to stand around a physical object like a car and see it from different angles we would see the same car. That exists and does not change. The rainbow changes because we are seeing a different set of photons depending on our position to the sun and the rain droplets in the air. :)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Oi Keith you mentioned your band, would it be to much to ask (this isn't supposed to sound sarcasstic) for you to put a sample, maybe a track or something by them in the next newsletter?

And what's your band's name? What do you play? What style do you do? So many question yet so little time to ask them.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

We are called Blue Monkey and play a strange sort of classic/softish rock ballards. We are in the studio next month so I will be making a website for the band. You can download music then! :-)

The demo CD we are recording is being produced and recorded by the drummer from a band called Shed 7. Heard of them? We are playing a few gigs with them next year as well. :)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Oh my god, you know the drummer from shed 7, cool. they did that song it's getting better didn't they? You know gthe one,

"it's getting better all the time, i spread my wings and i can fly, i'll fly to you! You are the one i'm missing..."

Come on, everyone has to remember that un.