The Final Cut

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
doctorb
Embryo
Embryo

The Final Cut

Post by doctorb »

I have been lurking here for a few weeks, I like the discussions going on, thought I would lend something to the discussion.

Let me start off by saying I, like the rest of you, am a great fan of the floyd, and see the value of all different floyd incarnations. If I had to choose, I would probably put myself in waters' camp just because I really love the way he writes.

Anyway, to the point. Does anyone else think that the sequence of songs on the Final Cut:

Southhampton Dock, Final Cut, Not Now John, Two Suns in the Sunset

is really good? I have just started listening to the Final Cut again, and although some of it sounds really dated, and slow, this sequence has really grabbed me recently. Gilmour sounds great on Not Now John, and Roger on The Final Cut.

thoughts?

(putting on my asbestos suit, anticipating the flames from the Gilmour camp :)
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

I thought that the sequence flowed wonderfully......especially Southampton Dock and The Final Cut.I wouldnt call it "dated" though.I feel that its a brilliant piece of work........lyrically,and even musically.The first time I heard it , that was right after I'd heard The Wall and The Final Cut went so wonderfully with that.......(of course!).Two Suns In The Sunset ends the album perfectly , I feel.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I don't consider myself in any camp; I happen to like each era of Floyd.

Regarding the Final cut:

This is the most underrated Floyd album there is in my opinion. Roger's lyrics are incredibly well crafted and can bring you to tears. He sings them with such emotion; especially TSITS. I think Dave's guitar playing is awesome as well. It's very strong and has an angry rough edge to it that compliments the lyrics real well. One of the things that I really love on this record is that there are parts where you need to turn up the volume just to hear it and all of a sudden BOOM it kicks you in the rear; I love it. It's hard to believe the turmoil that existed during the recording of this record because it's one of their best. Welcome to the forum :)
doctorb
Embryo
Embryo

Post by doctorb »

My "dated" comment mostly related to Fletcher Memorial Home, I think the references to the 80's conservative types takes away from the typical timelessness of most of Roger's writing. Take for instance DSOTM, timeless, can apply to any time period.

I gotta agree that Gilmours contribution to this album is underrated as well. Although from what we hear, this album should sound like a recorded divorce :), it doesn't. I think it hold together extremely well and that last sequence is amazing.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I didn't like Southhampton Dock or Not Now John to much (SD was the better of the 2, NNJ was a bit of a sell out in my eyes, a pure glam rock moment. Although it fitted in to the album well though, it sounded totally in place because it was out of place.#

TFC and TSITD were both brilliant. TFC sounded in part like a sequal to CN and Roger put up a great vocal and lyrical performance to it, TSITD though was the perfect end to the album and ultimatly would have marked the perfect end o the band, not that i want to start that little debate again.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

the last 'half' of the album is great.

FLetcher Memorial HOme hasnt really dated - when someone talks about a song that has dated, its usually when they refer to the musical genre, style and quality of the song.. and they can pick where it has come from (a lot of 80s songs were like this)

The lyrical references, whilst pertaining mostly to that time period, could still appliy to more modern times, we have our own 'tyrants and kings', in this day and age.

just because Roger had the Fauklands in mind, doesnt mean we cant translate it to.,.. say, Iraq, or afganistan.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Sorry, but that song has dated badly.

It's because of the guitar riff that sounds so typical to the 80s. Long power chords that strive up and down the scales, it sounds dated because starangely as soon as the 80s ended nobody played like that anymore.

Or atleast that's what i notice.
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

I love that riff.........I don't think that great riffs like that can ever be dated.........

Just my opinion, though..........
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I'm not saying it's a bad riff, but can you name 1 riff like it that came out after the turn of 1990 without refering to Pink Floyd themselves?
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

I wouldnt think that would be possible.........its so typically "Dave".
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

You aren't on of those people that thinks of Dave as the best guitarist ever are you?

Mark Knopfler and Slash both played just like Dave in the 80's. Even if they didn't bend as far TFMH riff sounded like the sort either of them would do. The riffs of TFC as a whole sounded like them.
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

Dave the best guitarist ever?No......not really......Syd would be the obvious choice for me, morelike......I'm not too fond of Dave really......its just that "The Fletcher Memorial Home" sounded good......I would listen to Piper anyday than TDB......if you get what I mean......and Mark Knopfler playing like Dave?.........Strangely enough he didnt sound a bit like Dave to me. I should have said that he was quite distinctive.......Slash.......yeah..... I have to agree with you on that I guess.....Slash *does* sound a lot like Dave.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

As does Bonjovi (just not as good) and Van Halen. The list goes on and on. I'm not doupting he's a good guitarist, he just doesn't play with much distinction.
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

Dave is ........well.....*predictable*........otherwise okay I guess......
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I have to say he's talented but he's not one of the top 10 or anything. i reckon he does his job but he never really gets a true chance to be the star of the show. And when he did the floyd just weren't the same band anymore.