Roger's Song List

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

CHR15 wrote:Roger sang the lead on welcome to the machine i believe. Didn't they alter his voice somehow, and Dayve sung backup, what i've heard.
I've said this before, not that I'm the final authority or anything, but I've scrutinized this song and I hear only David.

I hear David in the high vocals and the low vocals.

On the "Welcooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome" I hear David holding the high note and rising in the low notes.

I don't hear Roger anywhere.

Maybe I need to listen even closer, but I really don't see how I can.

Now, it's been said that Roger's part was recorded with the tape running slower than it would play back so that he could sing it lower...maybe this altered the sound of his voice to the point that I'm mistaking it for David...I dunno.
Rambutan
Axe
Axe

Post by Rambutan »

Stooopid question time:

Will the Hyde Park performance be free?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Rambutan wrote:Stooopid question time:

Will the Hyde Park performance be free?
Nope. The day at Hyde Park will cost you just over 40 quid or around 81 if you want to see the second day too that features The Who
Rambutan
Axe
Axe

Post by Rambutan »

Just noticed.

Didn't realise the who would be performning too...hmm tempting to get a weekend ticket now...
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

mosespa wrote:
CHR15 wrote:Roger sang the lead on welcome to the machine i believe. Didn't they alter his voice somehow, and Dayve sung backup, what i've heard.
I've said this before, not that I'm the final authority or anything, but I've scrutinized this song and I hear only David.

On the "Welcooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome" I hear David holding the high note and rising in the low notes.

That's true. It's David. Roger can't sing that high. Many times people also says that Roger sings "Julia Dream", and that's bullshit.
CHR15
Axe
Axe

Post by CHR15 »

HeckTo wrote:
mosespa wrote: I've said this before, not that I'm the final authority or anything, but I've scrutinized this song and I hear only David.

That's true. It's David. Roger can't sing that high. Many times people also says that Roger sings "Julia Dream", and that's bullshit.
Sounds like it could be roger to me, the lead part doesn't sound quite like david either, only teh backing part.
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

There are distinctly two people singing in parts of Welcome to the Machine, although it DOES sound like both Gilmour's and Waters' voices, but altered somehow. Knowing Waters' affinity for playing with his voice through studio equipment (in a good way, not like the "make it sound good when you really sound like shit but it sounds like shit anyway" mentality of most modern music), that is probably the case. Why doesn't anyone ask Waters? He did sing the song live quite a bit more than Gilmour, as I recall, although I am most likely wrong on this.

*****Funny bit, here:

I was posting on another thread a few days ago, and someone actually convinced about 20 other people that it was in fact, Waters singing Have A Cigar. Classic. :lol: