Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

No.
Frinkium
Blade
Blade

Post by Frinkium »

Keith Jordan wrote:No.
Indeed, this isn't as silly as it sounds.

The BBC have done wonders in recent years restoring a number of old Dr Who stories they'd long ago deleted from their archives, because fans had recorded them and were told what they were looking for, so they sent in their tapes.

This kind of material eventually made its way into the hands of dedicated fans/collectors, long before eBay. For those of you like me who've been getting their Floyd news here for a while, think how many 'rare' material discoveries that have been unearthed and reported in the NPF forum over the last few years.

This could turn up some really interesting stuff, although I suspect a lot of it will only be tantalising snippets of material - just enough to let us know that it exists out there in someone's vault, driving us nuts knowing that we probably won't get to see it all.

:wink:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Frinkium wrote:The BBC have done wonders in recent years restoring a number of old Dr Who stories they'd long ago deleted from their archives, because fans had recorded them and were told what they were looking for, so they sent in their tapes.

This kind of material eventually made its way into the hands of dedicated fans/collectors, long before eBay.
Indeed, I know I whinge about the BBCs junking of material, thats the frustrated Dr Who fan in me that wants to see Episode 4 of the Tenth Planet (or even better, all 6 Power Of The Daleks episodes!) but some of the junking was an honest mistake and it seems they have a good team of archivists on the case, not just with Dr Who but other programmes too and the restoration is superb, Steve Roberts team are a very dedicated bunch, if they can get them on the case with the Floyd footage (and apply the vidfire technique where necessary) we'll see some outstanding results.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Frinkium wrote: [edit ...] For those of you like me who've been getting their Floyd news here for a while, think how many 'rare' material discoveries that have been unearthed and reported in the NPF forum over the last few years.
I'm not flaming you (honest) but I would kindly like to tell you why I tend to disagree with you. :)

Other than the BBC (!!!) Radio masters of DSotM 1974 and the Parsons quad mix of DSotM I have not seen any material surface that hasn't been around for about 25 years on (video) tape. Could you give an example of what video stuff recently surfaced (other than the Royal Festival Hall rehearsals 1969-04-xx)?
Frinkium
Blade
Blade

Post by Frinkium »

Meneer Jansen wrote: Could you give an example of what video stuff recently surfaced (other than the Royal Festival Hall rehearsals 1969-04-xx)?
Certainly the 1969 footage was what made me think of this.

What else? Amsterdam 72 maybe? I dunno, it's late :lol: . Maybe I'm talking crap or being too optimistic.

I do find it hard to believe that there isn't more video material considering the massive amount of audio stuff out there that is showing up all the time. I'm just hoping collectors have been hoarding old video as well, and might be encouraged to let the BBC use them.

Okay, I know there were technology limitations back then so punters couldn't really film shows like they can now (that awful Vienna 77 footage aside), but surely even local TV stations (in the USA especially) must have filmed the occasional piece here and there for promotions or news.

:wink:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Meneer Jansen wrote:Could you give an example of what video stuff recently surfaced (other than the Royal Festival Hall rehearsals 1969-04-xx)?
that complete, unfiltered Set The Controls from 1968 filmed in the balcony of an old church
Keith had it as a download about 18 months ago, I think that first surfaced on Ebay didnt it?

what Frinkiums saying makes me optimistic
weve seen other audio stuff being promoted but not distributed in recent months, apparently someone has the original tapes for a 1969 live showbut is waiting until the right offer comes along to part with it
maybe if BBC is now in the market to buy, more of this stuff hidden in private collections will be revealed?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

urgh! :twisted: I know somebody somewhere is sitting on absolute Goldmine of footage.

But then again we have more footage (us Floydies) than most bands.
like King Crimson, Yes, (Yessongs? dear god), Genesis (well actually I dunno), and a whole host of good Prog Bands.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

J Ed wrote:
Meneer Jansen wrote:Could you give an example of what video stuff recently surfaced (other than the Royal Festival Hall rehearsals 1969-04-xx)?
that complete, unfiltered Set The Controls from 1968 filmed in the balcony of an old church
Keith had it as a download about 18 months ago, I think that first surfaced on Ebay didnt it?

what Frinkiums saying makes me optimistic
weve seen other audio stuff being promoted but not distributed in recent months, apparently someone has the original tapes for a 1969 live showbut is waiting until the right offer comes along to part with it
maybe if BBC is now in the market to buy, more of this stuff hidden in private collections will be revealed?
If I'm not misttaken that was shot for BBC's "All my loving". But okay. You're right, :) That did recently surface. However, in the biginning of this thread it was said that the BBC asked for video material from the period '73 - '77. There's a lot of stuff from the 60's, but allmost nothing from after that.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Meneer Jansen wrote: Could you give an example of what video stuff recently surfaced (other than the Royal Festival Hall rehearsals 1969-04-xx)?
There is that mid '67 German TV clip that surfaced a year or two ago..
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

On the HRV Wall DVD there is an easter egg that is a TV report about the 1980/81 wall shows in the US, and they have footage of the band playing, but its not from the wall (band is younger, with mason having a huge moustache) so i would say its from '77.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

jambo wrote:On the HRV Wall DVD there is an easter egg that is a TV report about the 1980/81 wall shows in the US, and they have footage of the band playing, but its not from the wall (band is younger, with mason having a huge moustache) so i would say its from '77.
Woooot? How do I access that Easter Egg (considering that it is allmost Easter)?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

when the HRV logo at the start comes up, keep pressing the enter/select button on your dvd players remote, then a screen should appear saying "you'll have to look harder" or something like that. When that comes up keep pressing enter/select on your remote and it should play a clip.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

jambo wrote:when the HRV logo at the start comes up, keep pressing the enter/select button on your dvd players remote, then a screen should appear saying "you'll have to look harder" or something like that. When that comes up keep pressing enter/select on your remote and it should play a clip.
Thanks man! I've seen it now! I use a PC to watch my DVD's. Its hidden at the end of the last VOB file.
Could the concert footage in that clip be from "Superstars in Concert?". It's a really short snippet!
radiowaves

Post by radiowaves »

what i cant undestand, and im agreeing with some posters is that the beatles were able to releas NINE dvds on an anthology about thier history, including footage of tyhe remaining three (at the time) playing in a garden. now, we all know there is ffotage out there somewhere. who has it? maybe syd. maybe roger. i don't think david has footage. nor nick or rick. maybe rogers last stand is still to come. or maybe rosemary has this footage to show syd how really what have might have been for syd's condition. i do believe there is footage. someone has a complete anthology of these years. we will never know here. one thing remains......the BBC probably has footage, it still shows 'albatross' by Fleetwood Mac on TOTP2 from 1969. i reckon this series will be the most important series in british history. and maybe it will be grainy footage. but it's floyd. and i can't wait for it. why? coz im a Floyd fan....simple
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

radiowaves wrote: i don't think david has footage. nor nick or rick.
Are you kidding? I'm sure Nick has loads of footage. Nick has backstage footage of a 5 piece show :shock: