Roger's voice change: 1984-1987

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Roger's voice change: 1984-1987

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I've mentioned this repeatedly in the past, but finally decided to start an official thread about this issue.

Notice, on the Pros and cons of hitchiking album, as well as the following tours from 1984-1985 that Roger's voice is generally speaking in good condition. He is able to convey that since of power in his voice that was evident on such albums as The Wall, Animals, The Final Cut, and The pros and cons of hitchiking.

We fastforward 2 years from 1985 to 1987. We find Roger's voice in entirely different condition. Not only can he not scream anymore, he sounds like an old man.

Did something happen to him, other than the fact that he aged 2 years? Did he suffer health problems of any kind?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

its really strange... during the wall 1990 and AtD its even worse, but on his latest tours 99-02 he sounds very good again... maybe all that anger during that years had impact on his voice...
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Maybe it was because he gave up the fags! On that subject,I read somewhere that he was looking forward to retirement so he could start smoking again! Good man! I know how he feels!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Personally, I think it was all the screaming he's done (from CWTAE to TPACOHH) that did his voice in.

The Wall, especially, features a large number of songs in which Roger screams to high heaven...understandable since he was working through some issues. Likewise, TFC.

Just my thoughts...
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

It wasn't too good at Live 8. I personally think it's because he is just getting older, and that plus maybe too much screaming, and a lack of anger/need to scream now. I mean come on..hes turned from angry young, screaming, man to reasonably laid back, classical opera man, although - the opera did deal with violent issues. Meh, I dunno.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Thanks for everyone's input but it still doesn't explain how it happened in such a rapidly fast period of time: 2 years
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

I dunno. I didn't find his voice to be all that great on the Pros & KAOS tours. He has other musicians sing the more difficult songs (the higher range screamers). I'm guessing it's age and stress that killed his voice.
Rambutan
Axe
Axe

Post by Rambutan »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Thanks for everyone's input but it still doesn't explain how it happened in such a rapidly fast period of time: 2 years
2 years isnt that short a time...
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

Rambutan wrote:
The Gunner's Dream wrote:Thanks for everyone's input but it still doesn't explain how it happened in such a rapidly fast period of time: 2 years
2 years isnt that short a time...
especially if you don't exercise your voice in that time. Consider how quickly you can get out of shape physically if you stop exercising. Same holds true for the voice.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

But he never stopped exercising his voice. He used his voice throughout each of those years.