Who Played Bass On What Songs...

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Do you see this:

Live Sessions:
Pink Floyd - Animals Tour (1977). Bass. Guitar.

Snowy White's parts:
Pigs (Three Different Ones) (Bass)

?
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Yeah and ??? i was giving that link for the guitarparts. Confirms that the bass on Pigs was indeed played by Gilmour on the album ( as you said in your first post, but this reply was not against your first post )
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Don't Need To Say A Thing...

Spinoza wrote: And yes, you are correct to say that: "When they perfromed live and Dave played on all the songs then would they not be slightly f**cked? Would Dave play both lead guitar and bass guitar? What was his encoure? Juggling, flying or having a pie eating contest with himself?

He's not superman. And regardless of whether he plays the bassline on the album, through live shows it's fairly obvious Roger can play the songs himself, and these aren't revolutionary bnasslines or anything are they? If Roger can play them then i'm sure it doesn't matter if Dave plays them on the album. "

Did i call Gilmour a superman, no. The question was centered around the "who-plays-bass-on-the-albums. Not who plays bass during live performances ! BTW, where is the great bassplaying on PIGS ( 3DO) during the Live performances on the '77 In The Flesh-tour ???

---------

RPITI wrote: "'77 In The Flesh Tour was pish, but one can also hold the opinion the guitar playing on the '77 In The Flesh Tour was pish too. And the opinions in both cases are formed by listening to 25 year old bootlegs by amateurs! "

OOO RPITI, you're soooooo funny, but probably you don't even see it. I'm going to explain it the way i do to my 18 y old students: Listen to the albumversion of DOGS, then listen to The live bootleg. conclusion: the guitarwork is the same, more improvisation on the bootleg. Now listen to PIGS albumversion with the nice bassplaying, now listen to the livebootleg, oooo where is that bass ??? Can't almost hear it !!! See the difference. Of course not, don't shatter your beloved "truths".
R.PITI (In The List) wrote:Pigs (Three Different Ones) - DG
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

I wrote: "Yeah and ??? i was giving that link for the guitarparts. Confirms that the bass on Pigs was indeed played by Gilmour on the album ( as you said in your first post, but this reply was not against your first post )"

I suggest that you could become a kind of puberal demagogue or something like that. I never questioned the fact that Dave played bass on PIGS, as you wrote in your first post.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Please explain the"beloved truths" comment.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Stop arguing. :evil:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I don't think we're arguing...We're discussing.

I'm all smiles, and I'm sure Spinoza is enjoying this too, or else he wouldn't be participating :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Continue your debate... :lol:
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

LOL, but now i'm going to sleep; it's 11.30 PM here in Belgium. Tomorrow, i'm teaching again . Sweet dreams !
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

You know, this has gone on a bloody while now.

I don't care what Spinoza says, if it's justified to say that Dave played bass on a lot of songs because a reference said so then it would be ok to beleive a book if it said pink floyd was actually 1 man and that neither roger no dave ever met him.

Wow, big deal, Roger didn't play bass on one song, that doesn't matter, he wrote the bloody song anyway and sings it. That not enough for you? And as for the dreadful bootleg, maybe it's just a bad recording? Maybe the guy recording it was to near one speaker or something, but it seemes strange a bassist would write the bassline for a song he can't play. Maybe he had a soar hand when they recorded it. And this live one, you can't base something like this on ONE recording. Wow, Roger played bad once but he wrote the song and it was amazing, that makes him a fraud for playing badly this one time that i got a bootleg off.

Got any proof Dave played the guitar, i heard Roger say he wrote Dave's guitar parts (hence Dave's lack of credits on many songs) so that means Dave may not have played it, and that he ddin't write his on things. Just like Roger writing a bassline he personally couldn't play.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

David wrote "And this live one, you can't base something like this on ONE recording. Wow, Roger played bad once but he wrote the song and it was amazing, that makes him a fraud for playing badly this one time that i got a bootleg off. "

1. I have at least 25 bootlegs from shows of this 77 in the flesh tour
2. I never stated i had this from only one source. See, the problem with this kind of threads is that they start bassicaly from an APOLOGYSING-attitude towards Roger or his abilities. Look at post about the quantity of Roger playing bass or "does Roger sings enough when he tours". You can't escape the motivation of the writers of this posts. I simply make an addendum stating that the encyclopedia is not a god, that it probably assumes things, i give a statement from Dave and look at the reactions. Would the statement be from Roger you would probably come up with an argument to excuse him; now the statement comes from Dave and is neglected. Can't we make an objective discussion on pros and cons of Pink Floyd and his members. Its like critizising the acting of Israel in Palestina and you are assumed to be anti-semitic. Every point of criticism or addenda is interpreted as PRO-Other Floydmembers
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

David wrote "And this live one, you can't base something like this on ONE recording. Wow, Roger played bad once but he wrote the song and it was amazing, that makes him a fraud for playing badly this one time that i got a bootleg off. "

1. I have at least 25 bootlegs from shows of this 77 in the flesh tour
2. I never stated i had this from only one source. See, the problem with this kind of threads is that they start bassicaly from an APOLOGYSING-attitude towards Roger or his abilities. Look at post about the quantity of Roger playing bass or "does Roger sings enough when he tours". You can't escape the motivation of the writers of this posts. I simply make an addendum stating that the encyclopedia is not a god, that it probably assumes things, i give a statement from Dave and look at the reactions. Would the statement be from Roger you would probably come up with an argument to excuse him; now the statement comes from Dave and is neglected. Can't we make an objective discussion on pros and cons of Pink Floyd and his members. Its like critizising the acting of Israel in Palestina and you are assumed to be anti-semitic. Every point of criticism or addenda is interpreted as PRO-Other Floydmembers
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I started this thread because I am startled when some say "David Gilmour played most of the bass on Pink Floyd's albums, or at least a lot of it." There is clearly no reason to state something like that.

I started the "Who Is The Lead Voice of Pink Floyd?" thread to show that Roger Waters had sang many more songs than David Gilmour for "Pink Floyd" by the time of his "departure" from the "group." Some folks have stated nonsense like David Gilmour was the lead singer of the group from Barrett's departure until the present, and that is clearly not true.

Those were my motives in starting those two threads. If you're going to moan and groan about anyone, moan and groan about those who state nonsense like "David Gilmour played most of the bass on Pink Floyd's albums" and "David Gilmour has always been Pink Floyd's lead singer since Syd left."
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

" I started this thread because I am startled when some say "David Gilmour played most of the bass on Pink Floyd's albums, or at least a lot of it." There is clearly no reason to state something like that.

Indeed RPITI: i read the interview and Dave said that he did mostly on the earlier Floyd-records, so not on all floydrecords
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Spinoza wrote:" I started this thread because I am startled when some say "David Gilmour played most of the bass on Pink Floyd's albums, or at least a lot of it." There is clearly no reason to state something like that.

Indeed RPITI: i read the interview and Dave said that he did mostly on the earlier Floyd-records, so not on all floydrecords
As I asked earlier in this thread:
Hmmmm...It is widely accepted by many that Roger Waters was a bit of an "egomaniac" from Animals onward. Let me ask a simple question: Why would Roger, an apparent "egomaniac" at the time, allow the bass guitar credits for Pigs (Three Different Ones), Sheep, and Hey You! to go to Gilmour? I mean, why during these "egomaniac years" would he allow such a thing, but prior to these years, when he was supposedly more "stable," would he not allow the credit to go to Gilmour if Gilmour deserved it (Except in the cases of OOTD, Echoes, and FOS)?
And as I stated earlier in this thread:

David has said a lot of things. Not everything he has said is the truth (Ex. Stating he sang more than anyone else on WYWH).