Abortion

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

Is abortion acceptable under certain circumstances?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 48

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Abortion

Post by David Smith »

Ok, straught question here just because i'm interested in everyone's opinion on a dabateable issue.

Is abortion acceptable under circumstances when the mother is in no financial position to handle a kid? if the father is also not in a condition to be a father (e.g an underage pregnancy.)

On my opinion, under bad circumstances like mentioned above it is an acceptable option and pro life people who hasstle these soon to be parents would be better off adopting a kid that's already around and unwanted rather than forcing more in to the world, but what do you lot think? Is it morally wrong? Incase you don't want to post an answer i have left a poll for you to.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Abortion

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I plan on planning my children, if ever I decide to have any. I think I am quite responsible and will not end up getting someone pregnant before I am capable of supporting a child.

I don't have much to say on the issue of abortion. However, I highly recommend reading this paper by Carl Sagan:

http://www.2think.org/abortion.shtml
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Abortion

Post by Stiggs »

I'm against it. Simply because it's murder, regardless if whether or not you think the fetus is life. Either way the unborn is capable of sensing pain.
The real reason I'm against it is because I've seen videos of abortions being performed, and the result of abortions. Pieces of unborn children scattered around on a bloody table like garbage on a floor is more than enough to make some people puke their brains out. I didn't puke, but I was thoroughly disgusted. Which is why I am against abortion.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It certainly is murder and disgusting. I am against it in most circumstances. It should certainly not be used as a form of contraception.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I believe life starts at conception and abortion is murder whether the unborn is recognizable as a human being or not.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Okay...I'm going to say that I'm in the minority here...I think that no one (law or otherwise) has the right to tell a woman (or anyone else) what they can or cannot do with their body.

No one has the right to tell a woman that she can't have an abortion.

No one has the right to tell you that you cannot do drugs.

No one has the right to tell you that you cannot commit suicide.

No one has the right to tell you or make you do anything that you do not wish.

To legislate morality is to make morality cease to be moral.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I agree with you mosespa in certain conditions but we must protect the unborn. A woman should have the right to do what she wants to her body but should not have the right to do what she likes to anothers body: namely that poor little child inside her. Again, under certain conditions where the baby hasn't developed much or the child is the result of unconsenting sex.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

How did everyone see those pictures? I know that when i go on to an image search i don't look for abortion pictures and i certainly don't watch documentries on that sort of thing.

Good points raised on both sides, i do agree with keith that she shouldn't have the right to harm a young kid that's not even born yet. But she has to put her own life in to consideration and the sort of life her kid would be living had it been born.

How come nobody's voted no yet? Back your side up.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

"Protect the unborn"...how does one protect something that is not yet?

Before I go any further, I just wish to say that Keith, I respect you and your opinion.

That which is not born is a potential, not an actual. To place importance upon a potential over an actual is ludicrous, IMHO. The actual is here and now, the potential is not only not here yet, it may never arrive. If abortion is murder, then shouldn't a miscarriage be considered Involuntary Manslaughter, also a crime?

I would also like to know...how many of you who are against abortion are for the death penalty?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

mosespa wrote:"Protect the unborn"...how does one protect something that is not yet?

Before I go any further, I just wish to say that Keith, I respect you and your opinion.

That which is not born is a potential, not an actual. To place importance upon a potential over an actual is ludicrous, IMHO. The actual is here and now, the potential is not only not here yet, it may never arrive. If abortion is murder, then shouldn't a miscarriage be considered Involuntary Manslaughter, also a crime?

I would also like to know...how many of you who are against abortion are for the death penalty?
I hope you thank your mother for not considering yourself as potential.

Miscarriages can happen naturally(Gods will) or as a result of your own stupidity (drinking, etc)

I would also like to say that you bring up a very good point as far as the death penalty. I myself have struggled with that question for years. It's very difficult to hear about someone murdeing a child in a hanus way and not wanting him/her sentenced to death. I would have justified it as an eye for an eye in the past. To make a long story short I have come to feel over the past 10 years or so (with the guidance of my parish priest) that taking a life for any reason cannot be justified. Especially one that cannot defend itself.

There was a case in California last summer where a 5 yesr old child was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and then sufficated. Talk about a sruggle and a real test of my religious values.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Just because the baby is inside the womb doesn't mean it is a potential, it is indeed an actual when it is developed in the third trimester. There is no difference to the value of the babies life the day before it is born and the day after. The only difference there is its location!!

I fully agree with the death penalty and it should be used to all paedophiles and killers convicted of murder in the first. Manslaughter should not be a death penalty offence.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I'm against the death penalty simply because it's possible someone could be found guilty when they are NOT guilty.

Say someone is found guilty and executed, and after the execution it is proven that person was indeed NOT guilty. There will always be cases of that happening with capital punishment in place, and that is why I feel there should be no death penalty.
Allos
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Allos »

I agree that abortion = murder.

Only under circumstances that the mother's health would be jeopardized; baby is severed deformed or such would an abortion becomes an option. It should NEVER be permitted as an way to evade responsibility of unsafe sex.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

So if a woman is raped and made pregnant (sorry, a nasty thought but it's a true point) would it be fine for her to have an abortion?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think so. But not after 8 weeks or so depending on the development of the "baby".