David Gilmour US Cinema Concert Screenings

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Gilmour US Cinema Concert Screenings

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.bigscreenconcerts.com

Another chance to see David Gilmour live: 16th May in cinemas across the US.

As mentioned on the http://www.davidgilmour.com website, don't forget that there's a chance to see David Gilmour's live show in one of over US 100 cinemas on Tuesday 16th May.

Thanks to a set-up in the USA whereby various concerts can be shown on cinema screens for a limited period, David Gilmour's live appearance at London's Mermaid Theatre has been scheduled to run for one day only in cinemas in almost every US state.

'David Gilmour: On An Island' is presented by National CineMedia and Network LIVE in high-definition and surround sound at more than 100 participating Regal, United Artists, Edwards, Cinemark, AMC and Georgia Theatre Company cinemas across the USA.

Check out the official ticket sales site Big Screen Concerts, where a couple of judicious clicks should then connect you to the web page that will sell you a ticket. You can search by Zip Code to find the location of your closest theatre.

The concert, performed on 7th March 2006 at London's Mermaid Theatre, was filmed in high-definition for the BBC. The footage has been edited and enhanced by director David Mallet (Queen, U2, David Bowie and much more). It was the first public appearance of the 2006 David Gilmour touring band, and the presentation was scaled down for the small theatre, which means there are no lasers for instance, but the powerful performances more than make up for it.

The concert showing will consist of tracks from David Gilmour's UK Number One album 'On An Island': Castellorizon, On An Island, The Blue, Take A Breath and Smile. There are also stellar renditions of Pink Floyd classics Shine On You Crazy Diamond; Wearing The Inside Out; High Hopes; and Comfortably Numb.

The evening's programme has been extended by the inclusion of the full promo clip for On An Island, and the Electronic Press Kit for the On An Island album, which includes David himself talking about the album's creation, plus footage from the album recording sessions.

David said "We had a great time touring the US, and I'm glad that more of the fans will be able to see the show because of this initiative".

Tickets are on sale now, priced at $10:00 in advance and $12:50 on the day of the show, and a splendid time is guaranteed for all!
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

me and my camcorder are there... :D
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The cinema in Reston is showing it! YES! I'm there.
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Post by carefule eugene »

Is there a chance he will do that also in Europe?
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

I hope this turns up in Ireland.

I can bring popcorn!!
b.king
Knife
Knife

Post by b.king »

Got my tix for tuesday night. All sorts of excited. Sorry there will be no Echoes. I am totally addicted to the version from this tour. radio city music hall. 4/4/06. I listen to it 1st thing every morning. I'm sure the version in the movies will satisfy. No lasers though.
ally
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ally »

the closest one to me is too far away :x
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

ally wrote:the closest one to me is too far away :x
A bit of a contradiction there :o :lol:
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

I don't check NPF for a week cause I'm busy and now the tix are sold out.

Well that doesn't matter because I got to see David Gilmour :lol:
ally
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ally »

thrill-seeker wrote:
ally wrote:the closest one to me is too far away :x
A bit of a contradiction there :o :lol:
yeah, i realise that now :lol:. i just meant that i'd have to go down to NYC to see it...although it only takes about an hour to get there, it would be expensive, and i would need someone to go with, and it's on a school night, etc.
JT
Blade
Blade

Post by JT »

Anyone going to be in Fairfax VA to see the show Tuesday night ?
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

hmmm, i could drive to fairfax VA instead of charlotte NC it will be about same distance :D
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

i will be at the Regal Cinemas in Beavercreek, Ohio tues nite with the Mrs... I don't suppose anyone else will be there?
JT
Blade
Blade

Post by JT »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:hmmm, i could drive to fairfax VA instead of charlotte NC it will be about same distance :D
If you decide to do that let me know. Just beware of the traffic coming this way ..... it will probably be brutal
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I just got home. It lasted a good hour-twenty. The theatre wasn't sold out, but it wasn't empty either; I sat next to a bunch of guys who were constantly joking and complaining that they really needed Roger Waters.
The show starts. There's the EPK, the OAI video, the press kit, and then finally we get to the show. We saw:

1. Castellorizon
2. On An Island
3. The Blue
4. Take A Breath
5. Smile
6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
7. Wearing The Inside Out
8. High Hopes
9. Comfortably Numb

And Rick looked much, much better here than he has in the past. He no longer looks like he'll crumble apart if you poke him. I'm a bit confused at the lack of WYWH (which was performed that day), too.
It wasn't incredibly extravagant; there was an invisible orchestra, some lights (not DryFloyd Vari-Lites, but filtered spotlights), thankfully no dancing, none of the guitar-juggliing in the '02 CNs, and no annoying crowd-shots.
The performance was good enough to make me look for an audio bootleg of that show. I had it earlier but deleted it for some reason.

My two main problems had nothing to do with the movie at all. First, my attempt to get a "small" iced tea (healthiest thing in the theatre) resulted in something short and VERY wide (only in America), and on the way out some annoying kid was complaining that Gilmour always ended his songs on a "generic slow tempo" and should "go faster".
I might have to get him a copy of AMLOR and About Face.