General discussion about Pink Floyd.
thejackhmr
Embryo
Embryo

"Here comes a loud Announcement!"

Post by thejackhmr »

2001 Atom Heart Mother quicktime stream:
http://www.konjure.com
Last edited by thejackhmr on Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

The reason that not a lot of us will know this is because it is WRONG.
thejackhmr
Embryo
Embryo

Post by thejackhmr »

ha ha haa aaa

alright, mate -- You're the expart.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Not all of you may have known this, but AHM was originally done as a score for a movie called "2001: A space odyssey."
This is NOT true. However, it IS true that in 1971 Stanley Kubrick wanted to use some of the music from Atom Heart Mother in his film "A Clockwork Orange." Pink Floyd denied his request.
thejackhmr
Embryo
Embryo

Post by thejackhmr »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not? Oh. Ok then. Sorry everybody! Show's over.

ha ha haa

Listen pal, you're gonna have to do a little better than that.

If you cannot, then you'll just have to make youself a little clearer to the other folks who haven't had yet the opportunity to experience this. What you mean to say is, "I've viewed the sequence, and though I can't offer any evidence to support it, my feeling is that it's completely accidental."

Communication is a sensitive instrument. You don't want to convey distorted meaning to your audience by saying, "This is NOT true," when really you haven't any idea.

oky doky?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

You stated "AHM was originally done as a score for a movie called "2001: A space odyssey."

That is NOT true. AHM was NOT originally done as a score for 2001.

The film 2001: A Space Odyssey was made in 1967 (1). AHM did not come out until October 5th, 1970 (2). Obviously the band did not make the song as an official score for the film. If you believe they synced the music on purpose to those scenes, that is an opinion you can hold. But answer this: Why would the band bother wasting their time doing that? Why did they not tell anyone about the fact they did this if they did indeed? That certainly would have sparked album sales, I would imagine.

Sources:

(1) - http://us.imdb.com/ReleaseDates?0062622
(2) - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

Thanks Rpiti......I just couldn't be bothered explaining it all to him.
and reading his 2nd reply, I'm glad I didn't waste my time.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Me thinks that thejackhmr needs to be better informed... by R.pti!! :)
thejackhmr
Embryo
Embryo

Watch out!

Post by thejackhmr »

obviously the band did not make the song as an official score for the film.
Whoops, watch out!

Here Rpiti, let me help you. First, go back and read what it is you've quoted. You're probably confusing the word "official[ly]" with "originally." Two different words, two different meanings. One is yours, one is mine. Be careful!

Next, try asking yourself the questions you ask before you burden me to answer them for you. Be logical! If you ask the wrong questions you'll find the answers will be incomprehensibly far beyond anybody's capacity to answer them. And that gets everybody absolutely nowhere!

ok, so why would the band bother?

Hmmm. There could be any number of hypotheses. Many might be conjured in the "explanation" section of the JBI&AHM website or by doing a little Googling. Others will undoubtedly be more subtle. For example, a twenty-four minute song is quite long. To create a composition of AHM's caliber, an emotional and/or structural apparatus of some sort may have been required (or in this case likely even desired). That is, "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" may have been a scaffolding of some nature which was dismantled after the song was completed (and not publicized).

However, you should not let yourself be consumed by the scrappy details, nor should you hastily assemble these details into some crude refutation. I suspect you'll discover that a deeper exploration of meaning will guide you closer to your answer. Try meditating on what the film is about relative to your assessment of what PF is about. I strongly urge you to enhance your understanding of PF's message by doing some additional research.

Perhaps the better question is not why would PF bother with this movie, but rather why would the band bother with music entirely?

These two questions appear to be one.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

where else on the net.....apart from the site that you have already directed us to......is there anything to support your arguments......
and who is the creator of that site........wouldn't be you by any chance?

go find the rock you crawled out from under and crawl back under it
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I think Mosthigh snapped last month and reincarnated himself into the jackhmr.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Judging by the way his posts appear to say something but in actuality say nothing at all, I'm going to say that jackhmr is attempting to recreate the Publius Enigma.

Either way, he/she/it's full of shite.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I stated it could not have been done as an official score for the film because you stated earlier "The band had a peculiar relationship with the movie's creator, stanley kubrick, who died recently."

Why did you bother stating that if you were NOT implying it was originally done as an OFFICIAL score for the film?

By the way, I've also heard the song Echoes from Meddle syncs to the exact same scenes in 2001. So which is it that syncs to 2001: AHM or Echoes? Or is it both now?

Please explain to me how one is supposed to come to the conclusion that AHM was almost surely done as a "score" for 2001.

You could sync any song as long as AHM (Ex. Echoes, SOYCD Parts I-IX), or parts of an album, to that section of 2001 and say "THIS WAS DEFINITELY ORIGINALLY A SCORE TO THIS FILM!"

I thought I had too much time on my hands! :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Actually, the OFFICIAL score for that sequence was orginally supposed to be the Underture from Tommy.

It synchs so perfectly, there's no other explanation. :roll:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

So let me get this straught.

A band uses the film 2001 a space odessy as the basis for a song. Now say i'm jumping the gun 'cause i've not seen the film, but how can a space film possibally have a similar mood to the mood AHM tries to create.

So Pink Floyd perfectly timed the scene and decided to time the music to go with it. Why? It's pure conincidence. Being a media studies student i've witnessed miraculous use of music and film, i filmed a scene and Gas Panic by Oasis fitted it fine, and that wansn't written for the scene.

How could AHM and Echoes both me done for the same scene. i can't see how that would ever work. Neither could go with the other for anything. I take it you also beleive DSOTM was the score to Alice In Wonderland.

Did you know Beithoven wrote his synphoney so Stanley Kurbic could use it?

I dunno, maybe i'm being picky, but i don't see why they would perfectly construct a song to go with a film and not tell anyone.