when was syd "better"

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

when was syd's head in better shape

madcap laughs
65%
barrett
35%

Total votes: 20

tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

when was syd "better"

Post by tea-set »

do you think syd's mind was in better shape when he did "madcap laughs" or "barrett"?

i just listened to both and i would say "barrett" the lyrics are much less strange and trippy and the guitar work is much better.
henno

Post by henno »

i would say barrett is more sterile and bland, whereas Madcap is creative and colourful..
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

i was thinking about him lately. who knows if he's still alive, what he's up to... are there any news?
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

yeah he still lives in cambridge, alone, painting. theres pictures of him floating round the web
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'd say Barrett as well, for reasons mentioned above.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

henno wrote:i would say barrett is more sterile and bland, whereas Madcap is creative and colourful..
i agree :wink: but i?d love to hear the third one (no, not Opel)
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

I'm gonna say Madcap, because on Barrett he sounds like he burned out creatively, and I don't know why that's considered healthy.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

On Barret the rest of the band recorded their sections seperatly because Barret was seemingly changing the tempo off the song with every recording and they couldn't keep up with him so i guess I'd have to say Madcap Laughs

If you read the book Crazy Diamond there are chapters that look at him during the recording of each. I haven't read it for a while so i can't use it as a source here though, but for the Syd fans certainly worth a look
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

madcap is my favorite barrett
here is him at the WYWH sessions
:shock: Image
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Well, during Madcap he was certainly difficult to work with. The result was a pretty inconsistent album to me (pure masterpiece up until Feel, then a sharp drop in quality until Late Night).

Barrett is more consistent to me; also, during the sessions he seemed a bit happier with his bizzare sense of humor working ("This one's called Rats... I guess that's my new fetish.") and was definitely more active (going to those radio shows and even a few live performances).
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

That picture is quite confronting Jedi :shock: .
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Tenniru wrote: pure masterpiece up until Feel, then a sharp drop in quality until Late Night.
Yep, thanks to Gilmour and Waters :smt097
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I'd defend them, but... I really do have to wonder if it's possible to pass up Opel and Swan Lee for those things and then call yourself sane. And they WERE at the helm. Maybe Malcom Jones didn't give them the tape logs when he left.

If It's In You would've made an nice hidden track after the lock groove, though. It's just weird enough to deserve being let out.
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

I haven't listened to either for a long time but I remember Madcap as being the better of the two.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Tenniru wrote: I really do have to wonder if it's possible to pass up Opel and Swan Lee for those things and then call yourself sane.
or Bob Dylan Blues
I belive they both had their reasons/needs for more money, and they both surely have showed up their guilty conscience many, many times over the years :x
I wonder why Dave?s still holding thouse tapes... maybe there?s more sane material to prove their sportfulness :roll:
I?d really like to ask about that !