Barrett box-set

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
The Gil
Blade
Blade

Barrett box-set

Post by The Gil »

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Yeah, it's very good. Some great out-takes on it.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I was listening to it this weekend. The outakes alone justify the price. Buy it!
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

I bought it years, and years and years ago. Listned to it once. The outtakes are only for die-hard Barrett fans in my opinion.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have that. Its ace. Comes in a box 3CDs high and has a lovely colour booklet with lots of interesting stuff in it. I seem to rememebr paying ?50 about 3 years ago for it in HMV in Liverpool. It was the first and only lot of Barrett stuff that I bought as a "new fan" to the man!

Lots of "obsessive fan" outtakes appended to each of the original albums.

Only negative thing I would say is that each album within the box has very limited individual booklets included. Although the main overall booklet (3 cd high and 1 cd across in dimensions) certainly makes up for this deficiency!
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I made the wise decision to grab this instead of aiming after any single Syd album (I only got Wouldn't You Miss Me before this); I like it. This has all of the released Syd material except Radio One, and bonus tracks (although they're usually kind of useless; exceptions include an entirely acoustic Dominoes and Baby Lemonade, a very enthusiastic Gigolo Aunt with added reverb, what seems to be a duet of Syd and Rick on Golden Hair, and the shaky evolution of Is It Obvious).
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i got this back in '94 when it was first released. at the time i didn't have anything of syd's on cd. it was nice to get everything available (at that time) in one box plus the extra tracks. if you've already got the regular releases of the albums, the extra tracks probably aren't worth it unless you're a completist like me. as i recall it was fairly inexpensive a dozen years ago. the reissue seems kinda pricey.
Pox
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pox »

I also own it, it is amazing. Check it out, buy it used on eBay or on amazon if your poor.
CEddy10165
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CEddy10165 »

i got it as a us import in 94 and it was very expensive for the time. in retrospect, it was worth every penny. i'll be honest and say, it took me a good 10 years to even begin to get the full depth of the songs. outtakes included, it is a wild ride.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Seems this is out of stock everywhere - nothing like a death to make some one popular
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Pox wrote:buy it used on eBay or on amazon if your poor.
:shock: Fuck me , that's blunt
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

If you're just after the music then for half the price you could get these discs from CD WOW.

The Madcap Laughs / Barrett (in double jewel case, both with separate 8-page bookets) ?8.75
Opel ?6.49

Get them even cheaper if you happen to have played their World Cup game. I think there's some silly Big Brother game on just now, and you get 50p vouchers just for playing.

David
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think they were in scarce supply even before his death?
Cali
Axe
Axe

Post by Cali »

If your a hardcore Syd fan, you will really love it.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I remember seeing a copy in an alternative record store in the city, I might buy it. I'm still not sure whether I would really enjoy all of the Barrett material, so i might not have enough justification in buying it.