my tribute to syd barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

my tribute to syd barrett

Post by davidjay »

i was on the air this afternoon when i heard the news about syd. i broke format a bit and decided to do a quick tribute to syd. it's nothing really. just a quick recap of his life and influence for those listeners who were unaware of who he was. afterwards i played astronomy domine. i've uploaded it to "yousendit" if you'd like to take a listen.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 9F49672074

still, i'm in shock. shine on....
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Thank you David, downloading now, will listen soon once the BBC tribute has run in a few minutes.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Thanks, David, for posting this.

I'll be writing a tribute for Aural Innovations, for our August issue. I'll let you all know when it's on-line.

It's been a day of tears, but also smiles, as I've listened to Syd's music and it brought back many memories.

The world has lost a little bit of light today, but the heavens now shine a little brighter, and always will.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I think a good tribute could be the NPF show in Brighton. I want to play Wish You Were Here ! :o :o :)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

thrill-seeker wrote:I think a good tribute could be the NPF show in Brighton. I want to play Wish You Were Here ! :o :o :)
We'll definitely be dedicating the shows to Syd and I was thinking of making a 5 minute video collage to show. I've received a few e-mails today from bands performing adding Syd songs to their setlists in tribute which I think is a really nice of them.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
thrill-seeker wrote:I think a good tribute could be the NPF show in Brighton. I want to play Wish You Were Here ! :o :o :)
We'll definitely be dedicating the shows to Syd and I was thinking of making a 5 minute video collage to show. I've received a few e-mails today from bands performing adding Syd songs to their setlists in tribute which I think is a really nice of them.
Excellent :D I think we've got one or two Syd songs on our list so that'll be cool :)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

thrill-seeker wrote:Excellent :D I think we've got one or two Syd songs on our list so that'll be cool :)
Yep, we got Dominoes. I decided to definitely go with the video tribute collage idea, details are now up here...

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=13229

David, just had a listen to your tribute, thats great work, somehow I knew you'd dedicate a special section to Syd on your show and I want you to know that this fellow fan really appreciates it. Thank you.
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

thanks stu. i wish i had time to write something really meaningful. i was up against the clock, so i quickly put something together. i was a little disjointed, but that's live radio. a lot of people really don't know syd unless they're real fans of the floyd. i just wanted to let people know someone special was gone. it was sort of like, "this is who this guy was. this is what he did." i really had to resist the urge to say, "this is why i'm so torn up about the loss. this is why he was important to me". that's really what i wanted to do, but i needed to move on and get the show back on track. if it had been up to me, i would have done the rest of the show about him. taken phone calls. played his music. all that stuff.
blueeyes
Blade
Blade

Post by blueeyes »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the pond. That sounds wonderful.