The Post-Death Sales Jump... WAY bigger than expected

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

The Post-Death Sales Jump... WAY bigger than expected

Post by Tenniru »

Everyone's sales improve when they die. It's a fact of life. It could be a small pop, or it could be something like what happened after John Lennon died (Imagine topping the charts with no promotion or reissue). For Syd, it's close to the latter.

SALES RANKINGS FOR THE MADCAP LAUGHS
Yesterday: #31,220
Today: #79

SALES RANKINGS FOR BARRETT
Yesterday: #8, 647
Today: #146

SALES RANKINGS FOR WOULDN'T YOU MISS ME
Yesterday: #58,519
Today: #292

SALES RANKINGS FOR PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN
Yesterday: #2,164
Today: #10

SALES RANKINGS FOR A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS:
Yesterday: #2,740
Today: #121

Opel, Crazy Diamond, and Echoes have also received some (minor) bumps.

The spirit lives on.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Holy crap, Pipers in the Top Ten :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Syd for number one!!!!!! Imagine how great that would be!!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Well, with Piper having jumped 2,154 places upwards in one day, it seems likely that it'll eventually go to #1, at least for a short while.
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

How about other floyd stuff?

I can imagine the sales for anything remotely Floydian going up in the coming days.
vickyc007
Axe
Axe

Post by vickyc007 »

All of the Floyd albums were in Amazon's Hourly top 100 when I looked yesterday, with DSOTM no 15 at the top.

Edit just checked again, all of them are in the top 100: The coffers will be overflowing....

DSOTM - 12
PATGOD - 13
WYWH - 14
Echoes - 44
Wall - 46
OAI - 49
SoS - 71
Animals - 96
Last edited by vickyc007 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I wouldnt be surprised if Wish You Were Here got quite a boost in sales with Shine On being used in all the reports and getting quite a bit of air play from what I've been told. Its wonderful to see so many people checking out Syd's legacy, just wish it could have been under different circumstances tho.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

its such a great testemant to the man that 35 years after he made these albums and many many years since he did ANYTHING in the music business so many people are buying these records!

like so many people have been saying he made such a huge impact in the short time he was in the biz.

syd, its been said a million times in the past 3 days, we love you dude
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

sho damn am glad I managed to find a copy of Syd Barrett on vinyl last month!
bet the same dealer would be asking a lot more for it if he still had it in the store today
blueeyes
Blade
Blade

Post by blueeyes »

J Ed wrote:sho damn am glad I managed to find a copy of Syd Barrett on vinyl last month!
bet the same dealer would be asking a lot more for it if he still had it in the store today
I have The Madcap Laughs and Opel on vinyl. When they arrived (from the UK no less) my mom goes .. Wait a minute, you don't have a record player! No but YOU do :lol:

Amazing stats there, Tenniru. I started crying reading them. WOW!

I just looked on Ebay out of curiosity. A couple interesting things there BUT so much of it us just trying to CA$H in. The tshirts and stuff... Same thing happened too after Dimebag Darrell was killed. Ebay was flooded with 'homemade' tribute tshirts and stuff. *gag*

I got mine on Ebay years ago, one of the first things I bought on there when I registered in (I think it was) 2000... Hence the quick look. :D
S.Keller
Embryo
Embryo

Poor old Mr. Barrett

Post by S.Keller »

I think Mr. Barrett had it right
you sing your songs to friends, then say good night.

Go home to garden/ paint, dig some weeds.

Let the millionaires catch the seeds.

In Memorial
The songs
antique and modern, even now.

You made an art that few could, but many
could perceive. Laugh and love

Love You

When it means so much, to so many..... it's
good to be at home.

Scarecrowes, parchments unrolled
Won't you miss me, wouldn't you miss me at all?

But, there you are. A touch, a time

A close, to make things so dear
a wonderful fool for the time when
it's your time and mine.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Noticed that someone had uploaded MP3s of The Madcap Laughs and Barrett to Mininova at some point yesterday.

Radio 5 were playing SoYcD repeatedly the day the news broke. They kept talking over it though...
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

blueeyes wrote:
J Ed wrote:sho damn am glad I managed to find a copy of Syd Barrett on vinyl last month!
I have The Madcap Laughs and Opel on vinyl. When they arrived (from the UK no less) my mom goes .. Wait a minute, you don't have a record player! No but YOU do :lol:
I've got "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" on limited edition vinyl...both unopened...I've kept them in the box they were mailed to me in for safe keeping...I actually took them out yesterday for the first time in probably over a year to cherish them...I wish I could display them without risk of any damage occuring...but they are just TOO precious to me. I'm just glad to have them.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:I've got "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" on limited edition vinyl...both unopened...I've kept them in the box they were mailed to me in for safe keeping...I actually took them out yesterday for the first time in probably over a year to cherish them...I wish I could display them without risk of any damage occuring...but they are just TOO precious to me. I'm just glad to have them.
I know you want to keep them perfect and unopened and nice, but if you were to invest in a nice audiophile quality turntable and amplifier and a pair of decent speakers and then took the plunge and took the records out of their packaging and listened to them...

...well, I think you might just finding yourself loving Syd and his legacy even more than ever, and loving and treasuring and caring for the records as functioning objects of sonic beauty.

I just have a fairly tatty copy of the double album that came out in the 70s and a not-very-expensive Sony turntable, but it works for me and sounds pretty good, I think.
blueeyes
Blade
Blade

Post by blueeyes »

Mine have gotten quite a bit of use ... You hear things on vinyl you don't hear on cds or mp3s.

(I have 8-tracks too ... but alas no floyd or syd)

I like to compare the different sound of different formats. :)

But yeah, it took me a while to justify getting them out of the packaging. I was afraid something would happen to them. Ended up blending them into my mom's massive record collection.