when was syd "better"

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

when was syd's head in better shape

madcap laughs
65%
barrett
35%

Total votes: 20

wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

tea-set wrote:theres pictures of him floating round the web
:shock: He can float now !!! .... hhhhmmmmm , what was the name of that drug ... Mandax or something ? :wink:
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

wiped wrote:hhhhmmmmm , what was the name of that drug ... Mandax or something ? :wink:
pork chops :lol:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

wiped wrote:
:shock: He can float now !!! .... hhhhmmmmm , what was the name of that drug ... Mandax or something ? :wink:

It's the samething as Qualudes 714 that are now banned in the USA,you can still get them in Mexico though
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

zag wrote:
Tenniru wrote: I really do have to wonder if it's possible to pass up Opel and Swan Lee for those things and then call yourself sane.
or Bob Dylan Blues
Well, Bob Dylan Blues was finished shortly after the John Peel show, and would have easily appeared on Barrett... no idea why not, though. Maybe they didn't feel like offending Mr. Dylan.
Then again, Dylan's "Self-Portrait" album was already out by then, so I don't know how there'd be any dignity left to respect... and it's definitely not a space issue, as Barrett is a very short album...
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Tenniru wrote:Well, Bob Dylan Blues was finished shortly after the John Peel show, and would have easily appeared on Barrett
ah well, you?re right. But didn?t Syd wrote it circa 64-65 or am I only dreee-ee-aaaming... :roll:
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Syd was slightly more sane on The Madcap Laughs :wink:
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Syd was slightly more sane on The Madcap Laughs :wink:
I would have to agree.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I agree wholeheartedly with Zag's point about Bob Dylan Blues. Why on earth would Mr Gilmour have taken the tape home in the first place for a start, and then "forget" about it?
This does not make sense to me given all the stories of how difficult Syd was supposed to be at his solo sessions and how tough it was to make the music work. With Bob Dylan Blues they had a great, well performed track they easily could have used and furthermore what is there in this track that could possibly have offended Mr Zimmerman?
This and - as has been mentioned - other tracks on Opel could easily have been used.

Instead they chose to include audio of Syd going out of tune with his singing. DAMN suspicious to me! What a way to colour a myth and justify one's own position (this applies to Waters and Wright as well as Gilmour).
No wonder they were happy to "help" their "friend".
Am I simply angry at the easiest targets now that Syd is truly gone? No, it is Zag's very good point that has set me off about Syd's producers.

As for that Peter Bown quote, I am not sure I even believe that: did he get Syd out of bed that morning and personally dress and feed him before driving him to the studio and putting the guitar in his hands? BULLSHIT. Listen to the HYGIY outtakes and Opel and even the 2 albums and what you hear from Syd mostly (particularly with studio chatter) is LUCIDITY.

Is it that I do not want to see my hero in such a way? Come on, it's hardly been a bed of roses for the last 40 years, but Syd being that incapable I do not believe judging by the aforementioned EVIDENCE.

[EDIT: oops, typo!]
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Ive thought similar things
theyve often said they suppressed VegieMan/Scream because the songs were supposedly too disturbing hence exploitative
yet they themselves produced his two solo albums, and Madcap especially seems to be deliberately arranged to present their former frontman as disfunctional
youve presented good evidence that better songs were left off the albums, and in their place were all these false starts and decontextualised studio banter

also I'm now wondering about the taste of listening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond as a remembrence of syd
as the famous story goes he came into the studio when they were mixing it, ready to play again,
and they said "sorry Syd theres no room for you on our records anymore"
nobody knows where you are? he was right there in the studio ready to play!
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

come on!

you really believe that?

would you let that huge man jumping up and down whilst brushing his teeth lay a guitar track on the follow up to one of the greatest albums of all time?

imagine how crazy their heads must of been going after not seeing syd for that long them have him turning up looking like that. You woukldn't know what to do.

and besides i think SOYCD is one of, if not THE greatest songs of all time and i dont think for a second that ANYONE, not even the great Roger Waters and David gilmour could write a song that beautifull without wholeheartedly feeling the emotions conveyed in the music.

sorry J ed but your comments really pissed me off because for a second you had me thinking you could be right, but your not :evil:
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Hiya tea-set, I'd just like to respond to your points about Shine On..
would you let that huge man jumping up and down whilst brushing his teeth lay a guitar track on the follow up to one of the greatest albums of all time?

imagine how crazy their heads must of been going after not seeing syd for that long them have him turning up looking like that. You woukldn't know what to do.
I agree with you on that one. The picture of Syd from the WYWH sessions is of him at his absolute lowest and to me he was largely rebelling against his pop culture image and the music industry in this period, as well as supposedly being "troubled", so to answer your question I probably would not trust him to play on the record.. however if the band's artistic expression is to be wholely believed I do wonder why they didn't at least humour him and see what he could do with it, after all, they could always not use it if it wasn't acceptable. That is probably what I would have done if I was genuinely feeling those emotions conveyed on the record.
besides i think SOYCD is one of, if not THE greatest songs of all time and i dont think for a second that ANYONE, not even the great Roger Waters and David gilmour could write a song that beautifull without wholeheartedly feeling the emotions conveyed in the music.
This is where I really diverge from your point of view. I believe the ability to write good music is about talent, but although some music can be obviously insincere, I think if you are genuinely talented you can easily write a good tune that you don't necessarily really believe in.
I think the point here is something I mentioned in another thread but it's very relevant just now: in my opinion, SOYCD is not about Syd at all, it is about what the band thought they felt about him, it is their image of him, and it is a message they wanted everyone else to percieve they felt about him.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

they spent a year in the studio polishing and repolishing that track
the one day they actually had syd in the studio they could have set it aside and done something spontaneous with him
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

crofloyd wrote:who knows if he's still alive, what he's up to...
you know, though i was posted before his death, it gave me an idea... tho this may seem insensitive... maybe Syd IS alive? all this death-stuff - a farse to keep him away? he might just move somewhere else, where he's at least relatively unknown...
It's like "Elvis is alive".
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Syd is dead, that is the sad truth. His family are not faking his death.