The Cause of Death

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Cause of Death

Post by Keith Jordan »

So... what was the actual cause of death?? Some of the media reported "complications related to diabetes" and some said cancer.

This leaves me a little confused.

Also, some of the media said that he died at home but this Cambridge Evening News article the day after his cremation said he died in Addenbrook's Hospital.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I read that he hit his head off the basement ceiling..

probably not true!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Why take the piss out of his death?
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Roger, I'm surprised at you !!! :shock: :shock:

:lol:

I read it was diabeties complications too and now I read that it was cancer. Perhaps we'll never know :(
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I am not taking the piss out of his death, sorry if it came off that way.

I am guessing that the diabetes complications thing was true, since it was quite well known that he had diabetes and there was nothing saying that he had cancer.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I fear this subject (not this particular thread) might be more cause for concern for the Barrett family. I myself have been wondering about this and I realize it's only natural for Syd's fans to have a picture in their minds rather than yet another 'hole' in the story.
Just because he is our hero makes no real difference from when a family member of our own dies: we naturally want to know as much as possible about how it happened.
Therefore, I hope for both the Barrett family's and the fans' sakes that it is made more clear so that everyone can move on.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I hadnt heard the cancer thing til this thread

but I got a good friend with diabetes
and she always seems to have a bunch of other things going wrong, physiologically
shes been comatose with pneumonia, and normal infections or injuries just knock her out way more than would affect other (healthier) folks

I think the diabetes is an ongoing condition that a person has to manage carefully all life long,
and it weakens a body's ability to resist other stresses
perhaps this could be a reason for confusion round cause of death?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Roger Barret's dad Arthur "Max" Barrett died of cancer in December 1961 and was in some pain towards the end. Perhaps some journalist or researcher got the wrong end of the stick?!?!
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

My understanding is that he fell into a diabetic coma and died.

That his family may feel a little responsible is understandable as most diabetics are fine so long as they aren't living alone. Even the most concientious diabetic can get their levels messed up occassionally.