INVENTOR OF EMO!?!?!?!?!?!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

INVENTOR OF EMO!?!?!?!?!?!

Post by Groovybass77 »

i almost strangled my friend the other day when i put the recent rolling stone tribute article on my wall as a tribute and he called syd "the biggest emo ive ever seen in my life. he created emo and its his fault we are stuck in a generation of kids with poor fasion sense and suicidal thoughts". boy i wanted to get him good! Syd was a genius who could actually play instruments and had talent unlike those Fall out boy hawthorne heights lamos who cant write songs for shit and play about two chords in one song!
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

Emo is actually a movement of hardcore from the 80s. Present day emo bands are actually bands like Circle Takes the Square and Off Minor, not Hawthorne Heights et al.

Anyway your friend is stupid, I don't even know why you'd consider asking if Syd was inventor of scene punk bands.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Slambient Expressway wrote:I don't even know why you'd consider asking if Syd was inventor of scene punk bands.
Actually a lot of punk bands cite Syd as an influence.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

Slambient Expressway wrote: I don't even know why you'd consider asking if Syd was inventor of scene punk bands.
im not asking. i put the question mark to make a confused effect...as if what my friend said made absolutely no sense whatsoever (which is true). i definately know that Syd didnt invent emo
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

The Damned for example, who wanted him to produce one of their albums! Obviously Captain Sensible's idea..

They had to resort to Nick Mason instead!
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Slambient Expressway wrote:I don't even know why you'd consider asking if Syd was inventor of scene punk bands.
Actually a lot of punk bands cite Syd as an influence.
Ah, but I said "scene" punk bands, which is crap like My Chemical Romance. Didn't the Damned want Syd as a producer?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Slambient Expressway wrote:Ah, but I said "scene" punk bands, which is crap like My Chemical Romance. Didn't the Damned want Syd as a producer?
I have no idea what scene punk is.
PublicImage wrote:The Damned for example, who wanted him to produce one of their albums! Obviously Captain Sensible's idea..

They had to resort to Nick Mason instead!
Captain Sensible almost ended up being our guitarist for the Sparks convention, our bass players band supports the Damned occasionally and I used to be in a band with their driver but alas he was already booked for a gig on the day, would have been ace!
Yorsh01
Axe
Axe

Post by Yorsh01 »

... emo??

... that made my day in some weird levels
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Tie your friend to a chair and make him listen to Syd's music. The only remotely SOLEMN thing Syd ever did was Opel, in which he described in mildly creepy detail a fatal shipwreck.

Besides, John Lennon was the true inventor of Emo.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I thought Ian Mackaye (sp?) and Minor Threat invented emo.
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Isolation at home due to obssesion for a certain is the major factor that makes Syd emo. That and his long hair, black shirt, and the look on his face.

Like my friend who turned emo because of WOW.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

mosespa wrote:I thought Ian Mackaye (sp?) and Minor Threat invented emo.
Noooooooooo, Ian Mackaye invented straight-edge punk, one of the stupidest names for a genre ever but mighty fine. I'm completely baffled as to what emo is now, it used to refer to bands like Red House Painters, Low and Galaxie 500 (one of the greatest bands to ever walk the earth!!). Is emo just basically teenage angst punk now?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

As I'm understanding (thanks to my daughter and her friends,) "Emo" is, apparently, more to do with lyrics than with music.

The music can be punk, pop, or whatever...but if the lyrics meet certain criteria, it's considered "Emo."

"Emo" is the new "Alternative." Everyone knew what it was at first, but then it started getting big and people who didn't know what the word meant started applying it to things that previously actually WEREN'T that label.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Dirty emo!

Everybody knows that I (Kurt Muriel Brian-Jones Morrison) actually invented Emo whilst trying to perfect David Bowie's voice in a toilet in Coatbridge.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

How can a man who surrounds himself with such bright colors and paints bright images of things be emo? I mean, come on, he's wearing bright red pants and just painted his floorboards some earthtones and blue! He painted an album cover composed of brightly-colored and meticulously-arranged insects! He once wrote a song about happy fish! Just because he doesn't brush his hair and doesn't make eye contact doesn't make him emo. If that was the case, Albert Einstein is emo.