syd fans meeting

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

syd fans meeting

Post by tea-set »

some girl called tiina just emailed me saying there is going to be a load of syd fans meeting up in grantchester this sunday.

anyone else hear about this??
PhilB
Axe
Axe

Post by PhilB »

See this article in The Cambridge Evening News.

I happen to be visiting relatives in Coton this week which is just up the road from Grantchester, so I'll go along and see what happens.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps take some photos for a news feature for this site?
PhilB
Axe
Axe

Post by PhilB »

Keith Jordan wrote:Perhaps take some photos for a news feature for this site?
Yes Keith, I certainly had intended to take my camera and will gladly share what I get :)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Wish I Was There...
PhilB
Axe
Axe

Post by PhilB »

Despite the showery weather it did managed to stay mostly dry.

It was quite a small gathering, probably around 100 people with 4 or 5 people with guitars taking turns at performing (some alone, some together) and everyone else (a nice mix of young and old) standing or sitting around on rugs and blankets picknicking, joining in the songs, and generally enjoying a very pleasent and intimate atmosphere beside the river.

I don't have the correct USB cable for my camera with me but will be home on Tuesday to upload a few photos.
dancure
Axe
Axe

Post by dancure »

I read that about a week ago, searching for Syd on Google news

it's a good thing to do... I waste like an hour a week (mostly sundays) searching for Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Riger Waters, Nick Mason, Richard Wright and Syd Barrett on google news xD

jajaja

Saluts,
Daniel.
PhilB
Axe
Axe

Post by PhilB »

Pictures of the day are here: http://philburns.com/Barrett/

Feel free to use any of them Keith if you so wish :)
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

too bad i couldnt have been there. i could have brought my guitars and could have jammed with everyone. i need to take a trip there sometime to see where he lived in seclusion
henno

Post by henno »

thanks for the link Phil.....

great pics, looks really chilled out....

the madcaps looks as mad as ever!! i rec some other astral pipers as well...
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

PhilB wrote:

It was quite a small gathering, probably around 100 people with 4 or 5 people with guitars taking turns at performing (some alone, some together) and everyone else (a nice mix of young and old) standing or sitting around on rugs and blankets picknicking, joining in the songs, and generally enjoying a very pleasent and intimate atmosphere beside the river.
That sounds fantastic and i so wish i could have had the chance to even contemplate going along.
Thanks for letting us know what it was like. :D
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

It's really too bad I'm one of the very few Syd fans in Dallas.

It's also too bad that the other major Syd fan who's part of the local music scene here is a complete douche, and tried to start up some junior high school crap with my boyfriend and me last New Years Eve. His band was the only band that did any type of Syd tribute, and unfortunately they are TERRIBLE. I saw them a couple months ago (only because they were opening for a band from Austin I was going to see) and they absolutely BUTCHERED "Astronomy Domine" .....I was *LIVID* to say the least.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

thanks for the pics, Phil. I think I?d enjoyed there too :)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

there waslittle of you, that's sad, but I guess it was still nice and "warm" :) Wish I Was There
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

lovely to see the pics from the gathering-adn part of what was Syd's world there in Cambridge area.... i am a lone Sydfan here in my crappy part of the USA...
i feel at least when i get to thew forums.. there is some sympathy -and understanding.. still very sad about our Syd-but have come to think .. that he was really content in his simple life....