Syd Barrett's house for sale

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Violet-Abyss
Embryo
Embryo

Syd Barrett's house for sale

Post by Violet-Abyss »

Along with some of his property being auctioned on cheffins.co.uk, Syd's house is on sale for ?300,000. :o
Information found on:
http://www.nme.com/news/syd-barrett/24172
Information about his house and the sale (Pictures of House and Yard):
http://212.50.188.108/cgi-win/vebra.cgi ... AR/40803/1
Last edited by Violet-Abyss on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

someone buy it and turn it into a museum! 8)
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

It can't be said they're making post-Syd RKB into a larger-than-life ghost, I guess. At least his house is being treated like anyone else's house if they died.
Now that I think of it, though, the price for that house might be too high. Think of all the crazy, irremovable customizations he's made. Good god, there's only one person I can think of who'd WANT to live in the canvas of Roger K. Barrett.
Me.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Wow, can you imagine the aurra of living in the same house as the great Syd Barrett, what an amazing experience it would be to own a property like this. I wonder how strong the vibe would be and what you might pick up walking round the house.
I think we can be pretty sure that Joe Average will not be buying this house.
froobydoob
Embryo
Embryo

Post by froobydoob »

Tenniru wrote:Now that I think of it, though, the price for that house might be too high.
The price of 300K is about right for a property of that type in this area. I wouldn't say it has been particularily overvalued because of the previous occupant. But note, as with all properties, this is a guide price and it's possible that an offer of 300K wouldn't be immediately accepted on the property (it could be a lower offer is accepted if certain other criteria are met). If they had solely wanted to maximise the price I would have expected them to sell it at auction.

The family may, quite rightly, be selective as to who buys the house. It could be that they want a family to buy it as their home rather than an obsessive fan who will treat it as a shrine or business opportunity. The statement made by the vendor in the particulars does seem to indicate this to a certain degree.

I know some criticism (not necessarily here) has been laid at the family for selling off the estate but it's not known what costs need to be covered and what any remaining money will be spent on. There's also the need for closure, handling a deceased loved one's affairs is a painful process.

The family have both my respect and sympathy.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

i dont think theres any worry about unpaid bills or anything like that consydering what was left behind ...money wise... if anything the media has said about his wealth is true ...?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anyone think Gilmour might buy it?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Keith Jordan wrote:Anyone think Gilmour might buy it?
Is Mr Gilmour that sentimental ? It would be nice to think so but off the top of my head i'd say no.
I think we can be pretty sure that whoever buys it will buy it because of it's previous owner.
I haven't stopped telling myself i have to get up to Cambridge soon just to tread that nostalgic path.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Gilmour or Waters should buy the house and donate it to the National Trust, like John Lennons house.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Save some crazy freaky Barrett fanatic buying it and doing something stupid. Didnt Gilmour buy the rights to Syd's First Trip DVD to stop its distribution? Perhaps he will do something similar in this situation. He certainly has the money!!
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I think Gilmour should sprint on a treadmill, and for every 10 seconds he runs 1 million dollars goes to buying Syd's house. That means about 1 million dollars will be given away.

Oh but anyway, it really seems like Syd's death is being sensationalized, and I find it rather disturbing. The fact that Syd's stuff is being sold just seems like a way to cash in on his death.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Just one point .... WHAT A FUCKIN BACK GARDEN !!! .... carry on
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Oh but anyway, it really seems like Syd's death is being sensationalized, and I find it rather disturbing. The fact that Syd's stuff is being sold just seems like a way to cash in on his death.
I think it is common for people to sell assets from estates that they inherit. Its perfectly normal.
froobydoob
Embryo
Embryo

Post by froobydoob »

Keith Jordan wrote:I think it is common for people to sell assets from estates that they inherit. Its perfectly normal.
Any estate valued at over 285K is liable to pay inheritance tax at 40%. I really have no clue as to the worth of Roger's estate but it's possible that the tax liability is quite large. Given that the tax has to be paid within 6 months of the person's death, then it's understandable that the family is taking steps to dispose of the house and other assets.

Of the two certainties in this world, even death doesn't allow you to escape taxes.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

froobydoob wrote:Of the two certainties in this world, even death doesn't allow you to escape taxes.
Indeed, how very true!! :lol: