FAO ADMIN: im sorry but....

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
mooninjune
Axe
Axe

FAO ADMIN: im sorry but....

Post by mooninjune »

.. sending out emails with syd's house being up for sale is really bad taste imo...

its just an invitation for every barrett nutter out there to 1. waste the time of the estate agent and 2. get some strange buzz out of going to a house and thinking to oneself "wow this is where syd....erm...was very poorly with a mental illness"

ok he grew up there...fair enough....but paying homage to the guy by having a look around his house just after his death( to be fair its only a few weeks since he died) is a bit sad really.... let the dust settle at least

i find it all rather sad

that is all
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just out of curiosity...which do you find to be the sadder of these two events:

1. That Barret's house came up for auction in the first place

or

2. That a newsletter was letting people who might give a damn know about it?

Because, to me...it's "1."

"2." is simply the product of communication. If you're going to bitch about that, you might as well bitch about any instance of one person describing an injustice to another.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FAO ADMIN: im sorry but....

Post by Keith Jordan »

mooninjune wrote:.. sending out emails with syd's house being up for sale is really bad taste imo...

its just an invitation for every barrett nutter out there to 1. waste the time of the estate agent and 2. get some strange buzz out of going to a house and thinking to oneself "wow this is where syd....erm...was very poorly with a mental illness"

ok he grew up there...fair enough....but paying homage to the guy by having a look around his house just after his death( to be fair its only a few weeks since he died) is a bit sad really.... let the dust settle at least

i find it all rather sad

that is all
Firstly I would like to say I respect your right to have your own opinion and it is just as valid as mine as mine is based on my own judgement and belief system. But...

The newsletter exists to provide people with news, information and entertainment. The sale of Syd's former hosue is news.

Additionally, the sale was made public domain by Cheffins. It was covered in the Cambridge Evening News. Syd's sister Rosemary added a personal history and comment about her brother and his time in the house public domain as part of the sale information.

I do not think it is in bad taste as it does not disrespect the values of his next of Kin, Rosemary.

Thanks for sharing your opinion though.
mrlimbo
Embryo
Embryo

Re: FAO ADMIN: im sorry but....

Post by mrlimbo »

mooninjune wrote:
ok he grew up there...fair enough....
He didnt grow up there , that was somewhere else !!!