Little Rude Boy Called Roger

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Little Rude Boy Called Roger

Post by crofloyd »

Is it, or it isn't, true that during TDB tour in 94/95 in London, at Earls Court Dave Gilmour invited Roger Waters to join on stage while performing TDSOTM? And than, Roger declined and left the show. What an ego!?!
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Not exactly. Roger was contacted by the bands management and asked to join the band onstage for their performance of DARK SIDE, to nobody's surprise he declined. I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually in direct contact with any of the other band members though. Now let's leave it at that before this turns into another Gilmour vs Waters thread.
pfco

Post by pfco »

dgsyd1 wrote:Not exactly. Roger was contacted by the bands management and asked to join the band onstage for their performance of DARK SIDE, to nobody's surprise he declined. I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually in direct contact with any of the other band members though. Now let's leave it at that before this turns into another Gilmour vs Waters thread.
You only got it half right, dgsyd1..true that Roger's mgt was contacted prior, BUT, it's also true that Roger did attend and was asked to come on stage to join the band...he declined and left the building along with people who accompanied him to the concert.

Sandy
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

pfco wrote:
dgsyd1 wrote:Not exactly. Roger was contacted by the bands management and asked to join the band onstage for their performance of DARK SIDE, to nobody's surprise he declined. I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually in direct contact with any of the other band members though. Now let's leave it at that before this turns into another Gilmour vs Waters thread.
You only got it half right, dgsyd1..true that Roger's mgt was contacted prior, BUT, it's also true that Roger did attend and was asked to come on stage to join the band...he declined and left the building along with people who accompanied him to the concert.

Sandy
HOW DO YOU KNOW?????????
WERE YOU THERE???
pfco

Post by pfco »

bong wrote:HOW DO YOU KNOW????????? WERE YOU THERE???
Yes.

Sandy
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

From a July, 1994 David Gilmour interview:

How were the lawsuits settled, and what's the status of your relationship with Roger now?

DG: (laughs) The status of my relationship with Roger is that I don't have one. I see his signature on bundles of royalty checks that are wheeled through my office from his office, and I sign my name next to his. That's about as close as we've got. I haven't actually seen or spoken to him since December '87, when we finally agreed to and signed the settlement deal.

---

It's possible they saw one another after July of 1994, though. However, I have never heard David Gilmour nor Roger Waters say they have seen one another since December of 1987. I certainly have not heard Roger Waters say he attended a Pink Fraud concert in 1994.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Is anyone surprised that Roger would turn down an offer from Floyd to play with them?

Roger is smart enough to realize that the only reason to do such a thing would be for the money that it would generate. Roger has stated time and time again that the reason he left Floyd was because the money issue seemed to be becoming the most important reason for anything the band did and he simply wasn't interested in that anymore.

This is the reason that Roger will never reunite with Pink Floyd:

Pink Floyd is a cash cow. Roger has no interest in helping milk it. The band (such as it is) continues to play stadiums pretty much exclusively and Roger has no interest in playing stadiums.

However, I believe that if Dave and co. decided to strip down the pyrotechnics and play smaller venues (much as he did with his In The Flesh tour) he might be persuaded to give it a go for old time's sake.

From what I understand, Roger's solo shows were enough to satisfy the people who showed up...and he didn't even use films!! Just slides projected on a screen behind him and the band.

No lasers that I know of, just creative use of lighting.

I PF were to give it a go at losing most of the bells and whistles in order to concentrate on the music (of course SOME visuals would be necessary,) Roger might actually consider joining up.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Roger played in stadiums on his last world tour (However, what is not widely known is how well he filled up these stadiums, if he just played in "special rooms" of stadiums, etc. I have been told that some of the numbers that have been reported on the net are grossly exaggerated).

For security issues, it is clear why Roger Waters would play at rather large venues outside of North America, Britain and certain countries in Europe (John Lennon was gunned down on the streets of New York City on this very day in 1980. Do you think Roger Waters is going to feel safe in a second-rate arena in Brazil, for example?). Some places outside of North America, Britain and Europe have nothing except large venues too. In addition, it seems to me that Non-North American audiences, in general, are much more courteous than their North American counterparts.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:From a July, 1994 David Gilmour interview:

How were the lawsuits settled, and what's the status of your relationship with Roger now?

DG: (laughs) The status of my relationship with Roger is that I don't have one. I see his signature on bundles of royalty checks that are wheeled through my office from his office, and I sign my name next to his. That's about as close as we've got. I haven't actually seen or spoken to him since December '87, when we finally agreed to and signed the settlement deal.

---

It's possible they saw one another after July of 1994, though. However, I have never heard David Gilmour nor Roger Waters say they have seen one another since December of 1987. I certainly have not heard Roger Waters say he attended a Pink Fraud concert in 1994.
Let's set this right: the Earls court concerts were held in 1994 somewhere in the months october or november. Sure, Gilmour is right when he says in JULY 1994 that he hasn't spoken with Roger from 1987 onwards.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Spinoza wrote: Let's set this right: the Earls court concerts were held in 1994 somewhere in the months october or november. Sure, Gilmour is right when he says in JULY 1994 that he hasn't spoken with Roger from 1987 onwards.
I did say "it's possible they saw one another after July of 1994, though." I am very aware of the fact the Earl's Court concerts during The Division Bell Tour were held in October of 1994.
gibsonse
Embryo
Embryo

I thought you were talking about the OTHER guy named Roger!

Post by gibsonse »

You know who I mean, right?

:lol:

sg
TheVegetableMan
Axe
Axe

Post by TheVegetableMan »

Just a little opinion on the shows mentioned above.

I have to agree with the fact that STADIUM shows do suck ass. I saw Roger 3 times during his 99/00 tour here in the states and at 3 different venues. PNC ARTS CENTER/JONES BEACH and MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. The best of the 3 shows was at the PNC, the worst was at MSG. In fact the last time I was at MSG was to see Pink Floyd back during their 87/88 tour. I hate venues such as MSG for shows...They are hugh caverns that aren't good for sound and if you're one of the poor unlucky bastards in the back you can't see shit.

What really turned me off to stadium shows was the 1987 Floyd show at Giants Stadium. THEE WORST CONCERT I WAS EVER AT. I vowed from that day on never to set foot in a place like that or MSG again.

You maybe asking why I did it to see Roger......Simple answer...Free Ticket.

Needless to say I haven't been back there.

.....and lets not get started on ticket prices...Jeez
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

yeah ticket prices sucked.

i wish i saw Roger earlier this year though :(