Nice Video Tribute to Barrett Gilmour and Wright

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Rick sounded fine to me. The David Bowie version of Arnold Layne is superb. Roger Waters on the other hand has become another Britney Spears/Ashlee Simpson lip-synching ripoff artist.
Kimon
Blade
Blade

Rick's vocals on Arnold Layne

Post by Kimon »

I read your critisism and i have to point out that:
1)Rick is 63, so normally his voice doesn't sound like this on Time for example.
2) It didn't sound bad to me. You know why? Because it was a voice coming out of his soul, expressing his deep respect for a late bandmate and friend.
3)He was the only original band member on stage, who actually had appeared on the very first performance of Arnold Layne, so he deserved to do the singing.
4)Do you think that David Gilmour is deaf enough not to hear Rick's voice? Of course not. He just felt that that was the Right thing to do. And it was.
5)Rick himself knows that he can't sing very well. But he had to. It was a dedication to an old friend. We never give them up because of our incapability.
That's all
Kimon
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Rick's vocals on Arnold Layne

Post by PublicImage »

Kimon wrote:2) It didn't sound bad to me. You know why? Because it was a voice coming out of his soul, expressing his deep respect for a late bandmate and friend.
I don't see how it was a tribute to Syd as a late friend, since he died after this was recorded. Maybe it was a tribute to him, but none of them had any idea that he was going to die only a few months later.
Kimon
Blade
Blade

Post by Kimon »

You are right. But i still believe that it was something more than a simple performance. We shouldn't judge people over their emotions. Maybe his voice was awfull, but to me it was a call. A call from an old bndmate sying:'Here we are syd. Playing your song.". You can see how embarassed but passionate at the same time Rick is by his sight. He feels guilty but also happy and proud.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

Actually it is a rediculously bad mix, I think from a foreign airing of the show at a later date.

This is the original British version and mix that I heard. Much better in my opinion. You can be the best band in the world but with bad mixing its just lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8KvKu8YYHE