Candlelight

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Candlelight

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I'm listening to this song Candlelight by the band Grantchester Meadow, which came out in 1971 (available on the psych compilation Sugar Lumps). Some nice psychedelia. I read up on it. It was an extremely rare single that the compilers of the CD managed to dig up an old 45 of, and the rumours surrounding it was that a certain Syd Barrett was involved with it. The psych webzine, Sweet Floral Albion disputes this, saying it's a hoax, but they offer no reason other than that's their opinion. I can't find anything else about this on the Internet. Anyone else hear of this song? Any ideas whether it was a hoax or was Syd actually involved?
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

never heard of it...
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Hmmm, no one has even heard of this? I'm surprised. I keep listening to it, and it does sound like Syd...and it does sound vintage...but with studio trickery these days, I suppose that's something that could be faked. And it does seem curious that there doesn't seem to be any contemporary accounts of this record being made. My thought is hoax, but who knows?
Kimon
Blade
Blade

Post by Kimon »

I doubt Syd's participation. He had refused many proposals for involving to others' work but refused all of them.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Can't find any more references to it myself Jeff except for this which is really just a summing up of what you mentioned in your opening post.
Hlaw34
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Candlelight

Post by Hlaw34 »

What's up people!? This is coming to y'all from south texas. Just found this song today from the sugar lumps album. I really dig it. I wanna know who this band is. Alright then peace out✌