Double Core?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Patrik
Axe
Axe

Re: Double Core?

Post by Patrik »

Hi againl,
I just thanked Wez for the tip about Double Core. Sorry it should have been Neil in the same band. Not the first time I (when I am in a hurry) mix up names here! Sorry. :oops:

Looking forward to hear this new project!

Best Regards Patrik
Patrik wrote:Hi folks!
I just heard about Double Core from Wez in The Amber Head!
Thanks, Wez! So I had to check it out :-)

The idea is to write song around a title - correct? Or around lyrics?
And it should sound p f?

Is "No Heaven And No Hell" still available?

Cheers! Patrik
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Sean, I know everythings taken but it would be cool if you could find a way of getting Patrik involved, his band Swedish Whistler are excellent!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

They are indeed!! Patrik! Patrik!! Patrik!! :D
Patrik
Axe
Axe

Post by Patrik »

oh!! You know, I almost gets embarrassed :-)
Many thanks for your indeed nice words!

The previous NPF trib projects have been very fun to be a part of & it sure would be an honour to be involded also in this one!!

So if there is still a spot over I gladly check with my bandmates immediately!
Keith Jordan wrote:They are indeed!! Patrik! Patrik!! Patrik!! :D
Patrik
Axe
Axe

Post by Patrik »

Hi Mosepa!
Have you stepped up on "No Heaven And No Hell"? if not, is the lyrics published somewhere here?

Sussi (in our band) and me thinks it would be fun to try to write some music for it. If we succed with a good result we probably make a recording with the whole band.

Thanks again to Stu & Keith for the overwhelming interest to have The Airwaves included :-)

Wish you all a great weekend!

Myself I will go and see & hear a swedish pink floyd tribute band called P-Floyd. I have heard they are great! So that will be fun.

Cheers! Patrik

mosespa wrote:As no one has stepped forth on Come And See (the last unclaimed title,) I have taken it over.

If no one steps forth to offer to write music for No Heaven And No Hell, I will step up on that one, too.

Here is the track list (in no particular order) with the people claiming each song...

Stars (Simpledumbpilot)

Titanic Drill (2066)

Deep Horizon (thrill-seeker)

Magnolia (Neil1567/2 and The Amber Herd)

No Heaven And No Hell (lyrics by cwta eugene...would someone else like to compose the music?)

Away From The Skies (db_intheflesh)

Silent Victory (mosespa)

Come And See (mosespa)
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

I really wanted to do some work on this but unfortunatly my Home computer is toast thus ending my recording career at least for a short time. I can't wait to hear what everybody comes up with. :D .... they won't let me record on this work computer..... :shock: :D LOL
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Patrik wrote:Hi Mosepa!
Have you stepped up on "No Heaven And No Hell"? if not, is the lyrics published somewhere here?

The lyrics, written by cwta eugene, are posted here, on the original hoax album thread.

Obviously the point of this whole thing is to take the tribute idea one step further and actually try to emulate the Pink Floyd writing technique - so we should think about how PF albums work as a whole. We need to consider the themes to deal with (lyrically and musically), the running order (I assume we're not going to be naive enough to leave the running order as it is on the hoax cover, since we don't know how the tracks will segue when they're written), and if we want to copy the 'cyclic' nature of the 70's albums (with the ends of the album being related to the beginning, eg heartbeat on DSOTM, Shine On, POTW, and Outside the Wall).

Are we going for a concept album that tells a story (The Wall, KAOS), a concept album with repeated musical themes (DSOTM, WYWH), a concept album in so much as we have a general 'theme' (Division Bell, being communication), or just a plain old non-conceptual album? :lol:

If we want some kind of musical cohesion between the tracks, then I suggest we get everyone to record demos, and then listen to the others' work and adapt our own if there are any stand out musical phrases or sequences. This would also give us a chance to work out a running order and work on segues.

David, clearly having overthought this idea :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Patrik wrote:Hi Mosepa!

Sussi (in our band) and me thinks it would be fun to try to write some music for it. If we succed with a good result we probably make a recording with the whole band.
Hello, Patrik...no, I haven't stepped up on No Heaven and No Hell yet...so, feel free. It'll be good to have you on board. :D :D

db_intheflesh wrote:
1. Obviously the point of this whole thing is to take the tribute idea one step further and actually try to emulate the Pink Floyd writing technique - so we should think about how PF albums work as a whole.

1a. We need to consider the themes to deal with (lyrically and musically),

1b. the running order (I assume we're not going to be naive enough to leave the running order as it is on the hoax cover, since we don't know how the tracks will segue when they're written),

1c. and if we want to copy the 'cyclic' nature of the 70's albums (with the ends of the album being related to the beginning, eg heartbeat on DSOTM, Shine On, POTW, and Outside the Wall).

2. Are we going for a concept album that tells a story (The Wall, KAOS), a concept album with repeated musical themes (DSOTM, WYWH), a concept album in so much as we have a general 'theme' (Division Bell, being communication), or just a plain old non-conceptual album? :lol:

3. If we want some kind of musical cohesion between the tracks, then I suggest we get everyone to record demos, and then listen to the others' work and adapt our own if there are any stand out musical phrases or sequences. This would also give us a chance to work out a running order and work on segues.

4. David, clearly having overthought this idea :D
1. Exactly.

1a. I don't know what anyone else has come up with so far, but I have already completed a demo of Come And See...and the lyrics seem to deal with the "persistence of hope" if you will. Given that the lyrics cwta_e has come up with for NHANH deal with hope and the loss/regaining of it, perhaps "hope" would be a good theme for us to latch on to. After all, we hope that PF will give us one more album or show or something. We hope that the boys can get it together again.

Hope seems to make sense...although I don't know how it would fit in with the title "Double Core"...especially since I don't know what that refers to in the first place.

1b. I just sort of took it for granted that the running order would follow the bogus cd booklet...but it doesn't have to, I suppose. I've approached Come And See in such a way that the beginning and ending would fit just about anything that could come before and after it. For example, Come And See begins with a long synth drone that could fade up from underneath whatever came before it...and the ending (I won't get too specific because I don't want to spoil it,) could lead into just about anything else.

1c. This is something I hadn't really taken into consideration...but it's a good point. The idea of this whole thing is to record what we think a reunion album might sound like...and all this time, I've been viewing this as simply "the follow-up to TDB." :oops:

With Roger coming back on board, the cyclic fascination would undoubtedly come back. Well spotted, mate :D

2. We COULD do a "non-conceputal" album...but I think that would kind of piss on the very concept of what we're doing here in the first place.

My vote is for a concept album with a general theme...that way, everyone is still free to write about the theme without having to worry about whether or not it's going to advance a story.

This way, those of us who have already written lyrics won't have to rewrite them :lol:

3. This is a wonderful idea...it's also kind of a connection to TDB in that we will all have to communicate with each other in order to pull this off. Also, by communicating with each other and "working together," the overall cohesion of the album should be strengthened.

I think we're onto something now, gang.

4. No more than I have been, my friend :D It's not a bad thing.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, does everyone involved in this use myspace? If so, I could set up a Double Core page on myspace where we could have a central location to exchange ideas that wouldn't involve spoiling surprises for the community here.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Hmm, should have paid more attention, I would have loved to have been involved in this and done one one of the tracks. Damn.
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

mosespa wrote:Just out of curiosity, does everyone involved in this use myspace? If so, I could set up a Double Core page on myspace where we could have a central location to exchange ideas that wouldn't involve spoiling surprises for the community here.
"Use" is perhaps a little strong - I have a MySpace, but I'm hardly ever actually on it. I could obviously use it if this is how we're wanting to communicate about this project. I presume you would set up a private account? My space (heh, I didn't even mean to do that!) is http://www.myspace.com/welloiledtortoise if you'd be so kind to add me, although I might be as well to set up another to keep the conversation and demos private and separate from my 'normal' page.
Massed Gadgets wrote:Hmm, should have paid more attention, I would have loved to have been involved in this and done one one of the tracks. Damn.
Mosespa might still let you have Silent Victory if he hasn't started work on it yet. Boss...?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

db_intheflesh wrote:I presume you would set up a private account?
Yes. I wouldn't add anyone to the list who isn't directly related to the project until it's finished. Then, it could be used to help promote this specific disc.
db_intheflesh wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote:Hmm, should have paid more attention, I would have loved to have been involved in this and done one one of the tracks. Damn.
Mosespa might still let you have Silent Victory if he hasn't started work on it yet. Boss...?
I've started work on it, but I think that MG coming on board is a great idea.

Silent Victory is yours, MG.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

mosespa wrote:I've started work on it, but I think that MG coming on board is a great idea.

Silent Victory is yours, MG.
Silent Victory it is then! Thanks Mossy!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You're welcome, MG...thanks for coming aboard :D

I've got the myspace page set up, here's the URL:

http://www.myspace.com/doublecorealbum

It is, for now, "private" and I will only accept friend requests from people involved in this project for the time being. An e-mail will be required.

In this manner, we can post our demos for each other to hear and work together on this project will still maintaining "secrecy."

Hopefully, I'll have a demo of Come And See up soon.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

mosespa wrote:You're welcome, MG...thanks for coming aboard :D

I've got the myspace page set up, here's the URL:

http://www.myspace.com/doublecorealbum

It is, for now, "private" and I will only accept friend requests from people involved in this project for the time being. An e-mail will be required.

In this manner, we can post our demos for each other to hear and work together on this project will still maintaining "secrecy."

Hopefully, I'll have a demo of Come And See up soon.
Hey Sean,

I just tried adding it but it wouldnt let me, I had to put either your last name or e-mail address and it wouldnt accept either. Heres mine if you need to add me instead...

http://www.myspace.com/wednesdayoriginals
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Hi Mosespa,
I guess I'm having the same problem as SimpleDumbPilot.Heres our myspace address if you want to add us on to the Double Core page: http://www.myspace.com/theamberherd .As many will recall,I am a techno numpty so I'd be pleased if someone can tell me how having the project myspace site will enable us to swop our demos around? I can understand that if we all have access to be able to edit the site's profile we can post up to four songs at a time on the site but,of course,they'll be available to any site visitors to listen to.Anyway,I'm sure its something to do with the add songs feature and is a great idea so when the time comes I'll be pleased to do it if some kind soul tells me how! Thought I'd better read the lyrics to No Heaven and No Hell-very good! Very Rog.I'm pleased in a way 'cos having seen the posts I was worried about a Floyd Album having "Hope" as its theme!! Having read the lyrics though,I guess dispair could also be the theme,as could existentialism.Quite a broad pallet there then!! Magnolia,at the moment,is lyrically a sort of relationship breakup One of My Turns type thing but can easily be adapted to suit the theme-although its hard to instantly find a great deal of Hope in there.Anyway,back to the rockface....