Syd Barrett ?1.2million Will

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barrett ?1.2million Will

Post by Keith Jordan »

Not sure how reliable this is...

http://news.sawf.org/Gossip/26761.aspx

London, Nov 11: Late ?Pink Floyd? founder Syd Barrett has left more than 1.25 million pounds to his near and dear ones in his will.

The singer-songwriter, who died of pancreatic cancer on July 7, had quit the band before they achieved the height of success with sales of 200 million albums.

Although Barrett had parted ways with the band, he still received royalties from compilations, live albums and singles featuring his songs.

"I made sure the money got to him," Mirror quoted his band mate David Gilmour as saying.

Pink Floyd?s hit song ?Shine On You Crazy Diamond? was written about Barrett, who was famous for his use of psychedelic drugs like LSD.

Born Roger Keith Barrett, his gross estate was 1,278,270 pounds with a net figure of 1,250,455 pounds.

Barrett left his house in St Margaret Square, Cambridge, and 22 per cent of the bequest to his sister Rosemary Breen.

He left the same part of the legacy to another sister, Ruth Brown, and brother, Donald, while 34 per cent to brother Alan. (ANI)

The story is from The Mirror I think!
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

well quite much to divide...if its true.Evryone know that Daily Mirror is a tabloid thou it is possible he left 1.25 million pounds in his will .
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

not alot of money :(
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

how much is that in US dollars? im sorry, im american.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

DBlaze wrote:how much is that in US dollars? im sorry, im american.
About 2.3 million... the US dollar has really shrunk in value over the last few years.

Gilmour remarked that Syd had made over one million pounds on the 'Echoes' collection alone--maybe the revenue authorities took it away, who knows... (I feel this sort of thing is not my business, but the man is deceased).

[cue: "Money"]
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

hi folks.. well... i wondered... always knew he must have had at least something of a tidy sum.. he obviously DIDN'T spend it on himself too much....wish he would've... i wonder how it was decided... to make the percentages.. if he decided that all himself... what aguy- he could've blown every penny on himself but he left it for his sibs.. cool. :)
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

I doubt he would've spend money that I'm sure he didn't really want on himself...
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

From what i've read an dplease correct me if I'm wrong...... the government gets a lot of money in taxes once people get into a higher earning bracket.... Thats the reason bands like the stones , Zeppelin ( in there heyday ) chose to spend so much time abroad ....if they lived in England for a certain amount of time they would be liable for hefty taxes..... I remember a story about Robert Plant being flown out of the country 6 hours before being liable for this hefty amount. since Syd chose to stay in Cambridge ..... a lot of the money he made from Echoes and such would have went to the government..... am I on base with this?...so infact ...having over a million pounds once the dust settles is actually pretty good..... or am i way off here.... any Accountants in our community help me with this? :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If you earn over ?33,300 in one year, you pay 40% income tax on all money earned above that threshold!! OMGOMGOMG!!!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

The basic rate is also evil standing at 22% if you earn between ?2,151 - ?33,300.

Syd's brother Alan may have set up a foreign company to "earn" Barrett's income and pay a much lower 19% corporation tax, for example.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/corp.htm
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Thanks Keith i knew there was some sort of issue with the taxes...I actually thought it was higher than 40 % ...but 40%...WOW. :shock: ... that's a huge chunk...... over hear in Canada it works out to be somewhere aroung 25% if u earn 25,000 or less..... :?
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

At least you don't have to worry about how to pay the Dr. as do many US citizens.
davidsss
Axe
Axe

Post by davidsss »

40% isn't all that high. It used to be much higher both in the UK and Australia where I live.

DS
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

I doubt that he really cared...
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

here?s some more

Syd was too ill to draw up his will

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006520650,00.html

makes me think some cynical thoughts
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Interesting -

His sister did a series of interviews after his death saying that Pink Floyd exagerrated his mental condition and that Syd just wanted out of the limelight. Seems a little ironic that the family then has him declared unfit to write his own will.