Cheffins Fine Art - Syd Barrett Property Auction

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

This auction will be happening in 20 days on the 30th! Unless anyone has heard otherwise?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

folks, here?s the stuff (36 items) :
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q=syd+barrett_

Geez, now that we have seen the pics, they should burn them all ! :lol: :lol:

Hail to all art forms !
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

There's some pretty interesting stuff there!! The pictures are so hard to save! Very annoying!
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Syds stuff really should stay put where it is in the care of someone responsible
Bloody auctioneers :twisted:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I think its disapointing to see so many people with such a naive over-romantic view of Sys's posessions. Whats happening with this auction really is nothing new, if it had been Joe Bloggs' Uncle Dave's items going up for auction no one would have battered an eyelid and as someone that frequents auctions I can vouch that this is a frequent tragic scene. But because the relatives of someone that had a spell of making music 40 years ago is putting items up for auction suddenly its disrespectful. The fact is that the red tape is still the same and the same solicitors fees have to be met, whether it be an ex-pop star or an ex-plumber. Due to the Pink Floyd connection publicity will be higher for this auction than the selling off of the belongings of the average Joe, thats media interest for you and thats media interest thats created by the same people with the same romanticised ideals that seperate Syds auctions items from the ex-plumbers, its a situation you create yourselves. What people need to realise is that this is an auction of belongings from a family perspective that just so happens to be the items of a family member that is reasonably well known. The family can NOT hold on to these items for presumably the most simple reason that anyone sells on a passed on loved ones posessions....space! where the hell would they put it? The upkeep of an empty house is impossible for a working family. When one of my uncles died 14 years ago I wsould have loved to have preserved his record collection, why didnt I? well, solicitors fees have to be met, space for the records he owned didnt exist at my house, the upkeep of the empty house where his belongings were gathering dust would have bankrupted the family. Try and view this auction with the true realistic perspective that lies benath the romanticised hero one where somehow all his posessions will go into a regular family vault just like every other family has (hmmm??). Auctioning a dead relatives posessions is par for the course, why would it be any different because its a person that made music almost 40 years ago? The funny thing is that items owned by people that have passed on go up for auction everyday and amongst those people there are folks that did make music, they just didnt have someone from a record company get them to sign on a dotted line and then make circular plastic reproductions of their music which could then be bought from a shop, why does that make a person different?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hey I have a workmate like that - I think they are taking the piss with some of those items - "here we have a roll of toilet paper removed from syds bathroom - it would have been used to wipe his ass" Est: ?100-500
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Syd wasn't just a plumber though was he? Didn't he start something big that deserves to be documented? His final posessions are part of documenting music history in my opinion. Although it should of course be remembered that they are only important in some people's minds. They are only objects at the end of the day.

I would still like to own a piece of his artwork.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Keith Jordan wrote:Syd wasn't just a plumber though was he?
I would still like to own a piece of his artwork.
Yeah. Me too.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have placed an absent bid on a piece of his art. I hope I don't win! As then I will be quite poor!! :lol:
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Cool!!! I hope you win, brother!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Keith Jordan wrote:I have placed an absent bid on a piece of his art. I hope I don't win! As then I will be quite poor!! :lol:
which one have you bid on - I wouldn't want to bid against you
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

these must very pricy. Ouch, it bites :evil: But I hope you win :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

drafsack wrote:which one have you bid on - I wouldn't want to bid against you
The final piece of art from Jan 06. I only bid ?200 so probably wont win as the guide is ?100 to ?500. Who knows!

22% buyers premuim! OMG!
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i agree with Stu,

its just weak to sell his possesions like this, ok i can understand the Paintings and maybe the bike being auctioned but i know if that was my dead brothers last works i would want to hang on to them, as if she really needs the couple of grand she will make from the sales,
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

hurry hurry folks :lol: time?s running up, check your finances and participate in the auction. It won?t happen again ( I hope) :lol:

I put my bid in the speakers, hah ! :lol:

edit: no luck, my bid was 300 :-$ but the price went up to 800. I only wonder if they work :-s .