Rick's addiction

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Rick's addiction

Post by cRaB »

I would like to know more about Rick's dark days (his coke addiction) when it started, why..if there's a reason, and how he got over it.

David in an interview said he also used coke..but I think it was more like having fun than an addiction, as Rick had.

So, I ask the biographers out there, what was the agent provocateur which put poor Rick Wight on the wild side?
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Rick was, after Syd, the druggiest Floyd his drug addict became critical from 1975 to 1988(or 1987), and he also did some in 1994-1995, but he stopped after.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I would guess the reason was he was a rockstar and it was the 70s
it would be a major act of selfdiscipline to not start snorting the stuff in such a context
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Apparently Gilmour had quite a problem with it for many years or so I read in a fairly recent interview. His wife Polly weened him off it. His addiction was centered around Roger and his departure from Pink Floyd I think.

On Rick's issue, perhaps he was a little depressed or something being on the road all the time. I've not really read anything about Rick and his issue.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Rick was also depressed his wife wanted to leave him from 1978 and yeah David was also durgy, he allways was.
Peter Harold
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Harold »

To me, it is very recent that Mr Gilmour confirmed he used cocain at all, and Mr Wright have almost denied any use of drugs after 1970 (The word "denied" should here be read as he always put the focus to Mr Barrett's problems in interviews).

In the same interview, he brought the "Yoko Samson"-problem, as it appear when the band re-united in 1994 for TDB-tour. He admited she had a deep impact on his habbits (or changing them) at that time. This wasn't very popular in the circle around Pink Floyd, and Polly Samson is named to be the cause of Pink Floyds de-activated situation. How much true we will find in this rumour, we will perhaps only know in about next 15 years... ;-)

As for Mr Wright, I guess this sympathic man should use his talent and start his own band, and not waste the time for a Pink Floyd re-union. As Floyd stuff is based on their own situation, I deeply believe Mr Wright will be able to develop any concept in style and theme of the song "Wearing the inside out".

Best regards,
Peter
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

Edit: You can disagree but no need to be rude about it- David
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Oh, yeah. They were always totally sober. Especially on the Pompeii interviews.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

PublicImage wrote:Oh, yeah. They were always totally sober. Especially on the Pompeii interviews.
Definitely.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

None of the band were really ready for the enormous success that DSOTM brought, and they all reacted to this in different ways. After the WYWH sessions, the tensions in the band had become obvious. Rick felt increasingly alienated from the other members, and more often than not preferred to just sail his yacht that work with Pink Floyd. These pressures, plus the distintigration of his marriage could have easily contributed to his descent into both drugs and depression.

I love the album Wet Dream, but it also a very sad album, because you can feel Rick's loneliness and isolation along with his struggle in so many of the songs. Holiday especially, at first sounds like a happy song about taking it easy, but I think there is a quiet desperation in it...a need to be free from the pressures of life, a longing for something simpler. It's something we can all relate to, but it's difficult for us to imagine what the pressures of being a rock star are (unless some of us are actually rock stars!). The song "Pink's Song" seems, on the surface, to be about Syd Barrett, which I think it is, but I think it is also about how Rick was beginning to feel like another Syd Barrett, like he was losing his mind and that the band he was a part of was leaving him behind. And I think at the time, he was unsure whether he wanted the band like it was in the old days, or just wanted to be free.

Under these circumstances, with nearly unlimited amounts of money at his disposal, it's not difficult to see how he could have become lost in drugs. I'm glad he was able to pull himself out of it, to become part of Pink Floyd again, and hopefully we'll hear that new album from him that's been rumoured, to get some more insight into perhaps one of the least known and quietly personal members of our favourite band.
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Gilmour did an interview with Q mag quite recently saying he had a coke addiction in the 80s. I'd rather a wife like his than horrible nose candy anyday :D
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

everton1690 wrote:Edit: You can disagree but no need to be rude about it- David

there was absolutely nothing said offending anybody

just stating facts

has rick rog nick or dave ever said anything about addictions ??? apart from the odd quote of , we done a bit of acid , weed or coke

????????????? :roll:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

everton1690 wrote:there was absolutely nothing said offending anybody
just stating facts
It wasn't what you said it was how you said it. You were mocking the other people who posted on the thread for the ways they were expressing their opinions and degrading them
everton1690 wrote:has rick rog nick or dave ever said anything about addictions ??? apart from the odd quote of , we done a bit of acid , weed or coke
Much better way of pointing out the same thing

Can't speak for Rick but Dave recently admitted he had a cocaine addiction in the 80s and Roger denies taking drugs.

He said there was a division where him and Nick were drinkers and Dave and Rick smoked weed. Something along those lines. Came from Uncut magazine a few years back when Dark Side turned 30 years old. But that was just weed he commented on
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

David Smith wrote:
everton1690 wrote:there was absolutely nothing said offending anybody
just stating facts
It wasn't what you said it was how you said it. You were mocking the other people who posted on the thread for the ways they were expressing their opinions and degrading them
everton1690 wrote:has rick rog nick or dave ever said anything about addictions ??? apart from the odd quote of , we done a bit of acid , weed or coke
Much better way of pointing out the same thing

Can't speak for Rick but Dave recently admitted he had a cocaine addiction in the 80s and Roger denies taking drugs.

He said there was a division where him and Nick were drinkers and Dave and Rick smoked weed. Something along those lines. Came from Uncut magazine a few years back when Dark Side turned 30 years old. But that was just weed he commented on

yes, i read th e article on DG i think it was in Q, where he mentioned coke and hasnt touched it since 93, and if he could give advice to anyone or something like that he would say ''dont go near it'' along those lines anyway............

roger denies taking drugs ( LOL smiley )
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

well Roger hangs out with foxhunters and the opera crowd these days
hes gotta convince his new friends he was never one of "those" rock stars