Syd's next-door neighbour

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Pow-Wow
Embryo
Embryo

Syd's next-door neighbour

Post by Pow-Wow »

Hello, I'm new. :)

Here's an article by Roger Barrett's former neighbour. Not sure I like all its tone, and you wonder how accurate it all is given the Mail is a tabloid that tends to sensationalise, but there is some interesting stuff about Syd's life.

Anyway thought you'd want to see it. I've been lurking for a while. :)

----------

EDITED BY ADMIN - Article removed due to potential copyright infringement.
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

Yes I don't really like the tone either. Tbh I wouldn't take anything from that newspaper as fact, if this appears in the Times or something maybe it could be geniuine but not the daily mail.

Thanks for the post though it was interesting, as for its truth who knows.
darkfrost12
Axe
Axe

Post by darkfrost12 »

Wow, I always thought Syd was a quiet nice fellow who rode his bike around town. But I guess you can't blame him, a victim to the tyranny of Roger Waters. :lol:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Hmm. Interesting.
It seems to me that the guy really lived next door to Syd.
Maybee there are some overreactions in the article, but i believe most of it is true. Or someone really did let his imagination loose.
I guess its not fun to live next door to someone who's mad for fucking years. Even if he is some old rock star.

EDITED BY ADMIN - Comments about causing physical damage/harm removed upon complaint by neighbour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

What a load of rubbish.

Are the house numbers next to 6 St Margaret's Square where Barrett lived not numbers 4 and 8? 7 would be across the road??

Have these words abvoe actually been printed or is this the same person posting/writing this that was trying to get me to advertise his blog the other day?

What a load of defematory and sick rubbish.
henno

Post by henno »

nah, too many inaccuracies for this too be true.....

when did the police start to carry around straitjackets??

what has this person said thats not available in newspapers since syds death??

if he was drinking a bottle of whiskey a day and suffered terribly from diabetes hed have been dead years ago....

complete bullshit...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Plus there is no mention of it on the Mail's website.

What a vile 'orrible ol' troll Pow-Wow is. :?
Pow-Wow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pow-Wow »

Keith Jordan wrote:What a load of rubbish.

Are the house numbers next to 6 St Margaret's Square where Barrett lived not numbers 4 and 8? 7 would be across the road??

Have these words abvoe actually been printed or is this the same person posting/writing this that was trying to get me to advertise his blog the other day?

What a load of defematory and sick rubbish.
Keith Jordan wrote:Plus there is no mention of it on the Mail's website.

What a vile 'orrible ol' troll Pow-Wow is. :?
Whoah there! :cry: That article really did appear in the Mail on Sunday on the 3rd of December. Not that I read the Mail on Sunday - I got it off the http://www.pressdisplay.com site which you can use to search for press stories.

The Mail's website doesn't have all the articles that appear in the printed edition but Pressdisplay does.

I've no idea who was getting you to advertise a blog, but it wasn't me. I don't even have a blog!

I'm not trolling - as I said I don't like the tone of the article by this person and the Mail often exagerrates and sensationalises. I'm sure Syd's family would disagree with the picture painted of him. I only posted this article because I noticed it hadn't been posted here or on any other site, and thought you might be interested in it.

Here's screencaptures of the page from the newspaper (on pressdisplay.com)...

EDITED BY ADMIN - Links to copyrighted material removed due to a complaint.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The language is not the "house style" of the mail and those are not scans of printed media as the resolution is too great in the photos. The printing techniques of the british press on newspaper are not to use full colour prints/presses but, rather, a strange circular set of shapes that, if you look closely at, look like mini fractals!

Looks a little suspicious and an elaborate hoax to me! I would believe it more if the scans didnt look like they just came out of photoshop or a DTP programe. :?

The photoshopping on Barrett's face is very amature on this photo.....

EDITED - Links to copyrighted material removed.
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henno

Post by henno »

its a complete fake...

theres no reference to that story on the mailonsundays website...

......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Syd's next-door neighbour

Post by wiped »

Pow-Wow wrote:
?F****** Roger Waters! I?m going to f****** kill him.?
:smt044 ... I stopped reading when I got to that bit .... fuckin marvellous
Pow-Wow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pow-Wow »

You think I photoshopped that? :shock: :(

The Mail on Sunday's website does not have every article that is printed in the newspaper - I checked it before posting here.

As I said it is from a website called Pressdisplay and not scans of printed media.

They have thousands of newspapers from around the world in electronic form on their site.

I have a subscription to it but I believe you can read 2 articles from each newspaper with a free registration.

Look for yourselves...

Go to http://www.pressdisplay.com and click on 'Select Title' on the top toolbar, click on 'UK' under 'By Country.

Click on the thumbnail of the frontpage of The Mail on Sunday - Sun 3 Dec 2006. Then if you scroll down the thumbnails column (of each page) on the right-hand side of the screen to pages 62 and 63 you will see small thumbnails of the pages I posted above - with the headline 'The Genius Next Door'.

On the toolbar at the top, if you hover above the down arrow to the left of '1 Front Page' it will bring up a 'Table of Contents'. Go down to '59 Review' and some text will be displayed from page 63 from the article.

Clicking on this text will bring up a registration options screen where you can register for free to read two articles from the newspaper. You might need to search for some of the words in the article to see the page 62 text.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I appreciate it is on a "commercial website" but that is not evidence either that 1) the article appeared in the mail and 2) even if it did appear in the Mail on Sunday, it does not mean it is true.

My thoughts:

1 - the scans of the article look like they came from a DTP program so are not scans of newspaper print as the resolution in the pictures is too high.

2 - the "house style" of the articles in terms of their writing style does not correspond to The Mail. The writing is childish in many parts. The Mail would not have published that.

3 - the crude photoshopping of the image I mentioned above suggests it was done by an ameteur and not a professional photo editor at The Mail which is a well established paper.

4 - the claiming that one of the houses next door to Barrett's was number 7 can not be true because, in England, one side of the road is even numbers and the other side is odd numbers. These numbers are issues by the Royal Mail and will not be different for St Margaret's Square, Cambridge. Barrett lived at number 6 so the numbers either side would be 4 and 8. 7 is across the road. This means the authour does not even know where he himself lives! :lol: Perhaps it is not Syd who had the problem! :)

Therefore I am not convinced at all. However, this is a very interesting topic and I have enjoyed it very much up to now. 8)
Grumble
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Grumble »

I'm amazed you're giving Pow-Wow such a hard time. I can confirm that the article was in the Mail on Sunday (not that I normally buy it) and a gentleman called David Sore lives next door to Roger's old house (and, no, I am not him!). Keith, I'm afraid you're wrong about the house numbers in that street, maybe because it's a cul-de-sac but the numbers are sequential and not the normal odd/even side system.

Further verification can be offered by checking the Astral Pipers forum in the Photo Room section. The article has been scanned in and published by one of the more respected members of that forum. I'm suprised it's taken you this long to pick up on the article, even more amazed that you question it's actual existence.

I don't doubt some of the article's contents have been spiced up to make a good read (given the newspaper) but I'd not be surprised if the basic facts are, indeed, true.
Last edited by Grumble on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coma Divine
Blade
Blade

Post by Coma Divine »

Ah, but isn't a cul-de-sac numbered sequentially all the way around, unlike a normal "street" whose opposing sides never meet?

I live in a cul-de-sac, a "court" as they call it here. I'm number 8.
The houses either side of me are 7 and 9.

Just a point of logic. :)