Syd's next-door neighbour

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

very much and it has typically "happy" ending "he seemed to be thanking me" , "a deeply troubled soul deserving of sympathy",first he describes him as a monster and then this....hahaha it makes me laugh
Pow-Wow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pow-Wow »

lovescene4 wrote:I would guess that The Mail bought the neighbour's story, then rewrote it. It seems "journalistic."
Yeah, that's a good point. When newspapers buy a story off someone who is not a writer or journalist the paper usually 'ghostwrites' the article for them. A bit like (most) footballers' columns.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Does the authour still live at 7 St Margaret's square then?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Keith Jordan wrote: on his front garden selling mugs, keyrings, t-shirts and the soil from his new neighbours back garden - procured under cover of night of course!
good idea, Keith. He?d need Rosemary to get things organized :lol:
sagetavigirl
Blade
Blade

Post by sagetavigirl »

Personally, I could care less if this story is true or false. We all miss him nonetheless... I say, let him rest in peace and quite giving people like this "writer" benefit of talking ill of him now that he's gone. RIP Roger
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

Key moment for me:
David Sore wrote:A toy hippo was nailed to one of the door handles.
I think that says more than the entire rest of the article. A volatile mixture of lovable whimsy and violent insanity, but even in his darkest moments his heart was in the right place. He had a sense of humour founded in absurdity. I can well believe he was horribly misunderstood by those around him, and I imagine he did little to dispel their disbelief.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The only part I find actually suprising is the cursing at Roger Waters. It's kind of understandable, and pretty funny; it reminds me of that old "Diary Of Roger Waters" fanfic made in the mid-90s, in which Waters and Gilmour kept trying to piss eachother off in immature ways.

The "Roger Waters" attacks were from around '82 to '86? It's possible he was incredibly angry about Roger abandoning Pink Floyd, painting the picture of Syd he did in The Wall, and handling things as if Waters WAS Pink Floyd. (It's also possible that he felt that after kicking him out, Waters owed him something; and Syd hadn't seen a dime of new Floyd money since A Nice Pair.)
They probably began with the Final Cut and the "end" of Pink Floyd and Syd feeling something along the lines of "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BABY!?". The rise of the DryFloyd in '86/'87 probably resulted in a smug "serves the bastard right".
gredask
Embryo
Embryo

Syd's Neighbour

Post by gredask »

Thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had in ages. I am new here, and am absolutely stunned by the blinkered view some of you people have of Syd Barrett. Some of the responses to that newspaper article are staggering: it must be lies because No 7 St Margaret's Square couldn't be next door to No 8; it must be lies because it's written in a 'childish manner'; it's a fake newspaper article! All because the guy dared to write some stuff about your 'hero' that wasn't very flattering. How old are you people?!
Even allowing for some journalistic licence, it's clearly based in fact. It would be an extraordinary scam for someone who lived next door to Syd (and we have now established through 192.com that he did live next door), whose family lived next door as well, and who clearly knew Barrett's sister, to write a complete pack of lies in a national newspaper, and not expect some comeback from the Barrett family.
Also many of the incidents described have been touched on in previous articles and existing Syd biographies (especially, his unhinged behaviour in the mid-80s). His music was and still is wonderful, and, yes, it's very sad what happened, but I'm afraid he was not the saint some of you seem to believe: he was occasionally violent and, as his neighbour writes, sometimes frightenting. Why do some of you people have such a tough time accepting that?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Syd's Neighbour

Post by Keith Jordan »

It looked fake! :( I am 25 and 6 days old!
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

gredask wrote: How old are you people?!
:lol: welcome on board, gredask. Have a cigar :lol:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

zag wrote:
gredask wrote: How old are you people?!
:lol: welcome on board, gredask. Have a cigar :lol:
Yea, welcome aboard gredask! :D
You see, zag here is about 85. A guy called "Stephen" whos in fact not Stephen is even older then that. Keith lies actually. He is around 43-44.
I had my 50th bday in october.
:lol: So...
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

I`am 99n and much moer years old and i think its fake absolutely and shut up evryone hwo doesnt think like me and other people in the forum
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Gredask mate, i can totally accept that maybe he was violent/frightening etc. and thats fair enough. I don't condone violence in any form, no matter who is the culprit.
But what i hate is how all this has come to light. The bloke didn't have to tell the paper his story of living next door to Syd. But he did, and for that i think hes a total wanker. He may of got offered a nice amount of money for his story. Sad little man with nothing fulfilling in this life, so he decides to rant to the papers maybe.
Would Syds family really want to see that scrawled across the paper on a sunday morning? I'm guessing not.
The last comment made me laugh too
"Im sorry Syds dead-But i wont miss him."
Haha, but you wont mind a nice bit of publicity and cash will you.
Fucking Cardboard cut-out!
blueeyes
Blade
Blade

Post by blueeyes »

Keith Jordan wrote:It looked fake! :( I am 25 and 6 days old!
I thought so too at first.
And happy birthday belated.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

I find the article quite believable...but I also can't think less of Syd as a result...it's been more than obvious in all the "old" stories endlessly re-hashed in books and other articles that he had violent tendencies, outbursts, and a history of strange behavior. It was a mental illness after all...whatever it's medical description if there is one. He was as much a victim of it as his neighbors...so to speak. Can't trash this David guy for telling a tale that might very well be true just because it conflicts with some romantic image many fans choose to embrace. Mental illness ain't pretty....and if the story is true..reality is what it is no matter how much we don't want to accept it.

And oh yeah....I can sooooo easily believe he harbored a grudge against Waters. I would find it harder to believe he didn't.