Syd Barrett live at Olimpia 70-06-06

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Syd Barrett live at Olimpia 70-06-06

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

I just got this roio from a PF hub, and I think it is quite interesting, I saw 2 photos from this gig, does anyone have any additional info.

I like it alot, i think it is also on the tracker isn't it?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

It is on one of the Have You Got It Yet? discs, all of which are beeing seeded on the tracker.

But yeah, it's an interesting recording.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

i understud that Syd left after Octopus off the stage?
arnold crow
Blade
Blade

Post by arnold crow »

This is somethig that i never understood....Jerry Shirley who was the drumer said that he gave up during Gigolo aunt but if you listen to the recording...he didn't at all!!! he finished that song...another thing that i don't get...Who sings in Octopus...I recognise Syd's voice only in the ...isn't good to be lost in the woods part.....the other parts seem to be someone else who sings...doesn't seem to be Guilmor...so was it Jerry Shirley?..Or an extra musician???...Syd sings Effervescing elephant...Gigolo Aunt and terrapin...i'm not sure...but octopus...it's not him for sure...and why Jerry said Syd took off his guitar and gently walked off the stage right in the middle of Gigolo Aunt...when you hear it...it is not the case at all...maybe Guilmor and Jerry...wanted to extend the song a bit but Syd desided to just finish the song there...and they interpretate that as Syd giving up...when you hear the song...he sings all athe parts..and do a little bit of solo at the end and that's it...it was complete ...i might be wrong..i don't know...that's what it seems to me when i hear it anyways....
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

you re rigt shit on some of the madcap and barrett tracks it seems that it sings someone else too!
davidsss
Axe
Axe

Post by davidsss »

I've had this for years on vinyl, it's always struck me that he completed the last track and then walked off. In fact that's the way I've always heard the story told so I don't know where the walking off half way through the track stuff comes from.

DS
Frinkium
Blade
Blade

Post by Frinkium »

arnold crow wrote:....Jerry Shirley who was the drumer said that he gave up during Gigolo aunt but if you listen to the recording...he didn't at all!!! he finished that song......
I wouldn't read too much into it - it was Shirley's recollection of something that happened over 30 years earlier, and maybe he's getting it mixed up with another show or a different song. Was he definitely talking about this particular show? (sorry, don't have the DVD with me here to check right now).

I don't think he's necesarily making the story up, and it could easily have happened at one of the other Stars gigs.

:)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

davidsss wrote:I've had this for years on vinyl, it's always struck me that he completed the last track and then walked off. In fact that's the way I've always heard the story told so I don't know where the walking off half way through the track stuff comes from.

DS
Comes from a video clip of Jerry Shirley being interviewed for the VH1 Legends program on Pink Floyd.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

The Ballad Of Pink Floyd wrote:does anyone have any additional info.
'Extravaganza 70 - Music and Fashion Festival' (four day event, 3-6 June 1970)
The Grand Hall, Olympia Exhibition Centre, Hammersmith Rd, London W14
Syd Barrett-guitar, vocals/David Gilmour-bass/Jerry Shirley-drums
6 June 1970
davidsss wrote:I've had this for years on vinyl, it's always struck me that he completed the last track and then walked off. In fact that's the way I've always heard the story told so I don't know where the walking off half way through the track stuff comes from.DS
The myth of him leaving the stage before the last song ended appears in Povey and Russell's 'Pink Floyd: In The Flesh,' but it's false. He completes the song ("Octopus"), then says "Thank you, very much."
Frinkium wrote:
arnold crow wrote:....Jerry Shirley who was the drumer said that he gave up during Gigolo aunt but if you listen to the recording...he didn't at all!!! he finished that song......
I don't think he's necesarily making the story up, and it could easily have happened at one of the other Stars gigs.
On "Effervescing Elephant" there are no drums, so perhaps Shirley walked off for that one... Incidentally, he was not a member of Stars. That band formed in 1972 with Syd, bassist Jack Monck, and drummer Twink. :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Syd Barrett live at Olimpia 70-06-06

Post by Keith Jordan »

A very strained performance indeed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouI_TV0DHmM

Are there any photos from this event?