DONATIONS THREAD 2006 - 200.12% OF INITIAL REQUIRED RAISED!

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

DONATIONS THREAD 2006 - 200.12% OF INITIAL REQUIRED RAISED!

Post by Keith Jordan »

The main NPF server which has the NPF site and torrent site on it is due for renewal on 27th January 2007. Instead of renewing the current one, I rented a new one with improved security and management features etc. The server is the big computer that runs the website and, without it, there would be no NPF for you to enjoy!

The New Server

The server I went with was a 6 month rental of the VPS 60GB. It is a Virtual Private Server with 60GB hard disk, PLESK 8, Virtuozzo power panel server administrator, PHP5, MySQL 4 and some nice firewall software. Full details below.

http://ipower.com/virtual.html

Donations

The donations so far are detailed in the MS Excel file below. I will be posting updated summary figures in this thread as I update the file below.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/text/NPFDonations.xls

Summary Figures

The Final Summary

Total Cost (USD) $558.00
Total Donations $1,116.68
Donations Needed -$558.68
Progress 200.12%

How To Make A Donation

You can find out more about how to make a donation on the page below. I would prefer it if people would send donations via Paypal.com to webmaster at neptune pink floyd dot co dot uk. It is more efficient that way.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/donate/
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:19 am, edited 20 times in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Excellent news! The money has been raised for the replacement server for the sites. In fact, the money raised is 200% what was needed!! This means that I am going to put the torrent tracker on one server and the rest of NPF including forum, news, magazine, photos, encyclopedia and newsletter on a second server!! The names of the servers will be Alpha and Beta!

For those of you who think I will run off with the additional USD$509 raised past the original amount needed for the alpha server, you can use this website http://www.dnsstuff.com/ to see where the websites resolve to!! ;-)

The Final Summary

Total Cost (USD) $558.00
Total Donations $1,116.68
Donations Needed -$558.68
Progress 200.12%

And The Glorious Donors!

Anonymous $150.82
Nicholas Hawes $94.12
Keith Jordan $48.92
Carter Broome $47.75
Ola Simonsson $47.75
Richard Allen $46.86
JAMES KISTNER $42.94
Brenda Stones $37.58
Gerrit ten Elshof $31.24
FWM Broers-meester $31.24
Chris Bell $27.96
Patrick d'Argence $24.90
Michael Glynn $23.72
David Schindler $23.72
Wolfgang Meentz $23.72
Mike Ellsworth $18.92
Claudio Zamana $18.92
Paula Fye $18.92
Cindy Dyrness $18.92
Peter Gostkowski $18.92
genevieve le bas $18.56
Peter Puyk $18.56
William Turner $18.51
Neil Leacy $18.51
Ben Brough $18.51
Michael King $18.51
dave marsden $18.51
Jeff Fitzgerald $14.11
Randy Honeycutt $14.11
Maciej Zietek $12.22
Fernando Sousa $12.22
Wilma Kampman $12.22
Mark Venema $12.22
Chris Kamis $9.31
John Waters $9.31
DI.RENI.S, G?NDOG(DU $9.31
Jason Goddard $9.06
Stewart Maton $9.06
Richard Kelly $9.06
Michael Curtis $9.06
Eoin McGonagle $9.00
DANIEL MANAU ENCONTRA $7.15
Alessandro Cavanna $5.88
Dominic Cordisco $4.50
Tom Sanville $4.50
Stephanie Remenek $4.50
Marcelo C Lecour $4.50
MICHEL BISSON $4.50
Patrick van den Udenhout $3.35
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

You know Keith, there is this thing called the edit button, and the sticky button :P

Well done to the community for chipping in :D. I'm saving for a trip so I didn't put any money in, but I will next time. Gotta keep NPF going!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

jambo wrote:1 - You know Keith, there is this thing called the edit button, and the sticky button :P

2 - Well done to the community for chipping in :D. I'm saving for a trip so I didn't put any money in, but I will next time. Gotta keep NPF going!
1 - I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't even delete a load of my posts!!!! :roll: :)

2 - I am filled with happiness that people value NPF enough to make a donation towards it's upkeep. You add a lot to the tracker thus the site so you need not feel shame!! :lol:

Thanks to everyone who donated (including me!! hehe) and thanks to everyone who visits NPF and has a good time here. It is a great community effort!! 8)
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

Keith Jordan wrote: For those of you who think I will run off with the additional USD$509 raised past the original amount needed for the alpha server...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry that was funny... even if you did pocket a few bucks from this, how much of your time do you put into this site? how about just the time youve spent switching tracker alone? you have earned it.
nice to see how fast you were able to raise the needed money and how generous people were :D i will help out a little next round, santa took my wallet this year :lol:
now a question... will this mean that twice the amount will be needed now to maintain things with2 servers?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:now a question... will this mean that twice the amount will be needed now to maintain things with2 servers?
One server would probably cope with the two parts of NPF on it but spreading across two will increase the uptime of the site and stop the server being overloaded at peak times and becoming unavailable which is annoying.

If enough donations are received in 6 months time ready for the renewal of the server lease, then the two will be kept. If not enough is raises, then we will go back to one server.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

How about the surplus being used to pay the mods a late christmas bonus? :P
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

jambo wrote:How about the surplus being used to pay the mods a late christmas bonus? :P
No. Second server all the way! Not even a mince pie for you, Jambo!! :)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Awwww :(

Cake > Pie anyway :P
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Way to go, guys!!! Keep it coming in.... :D
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

i would have loved to donate, but asking my parents to donate to some random website they have never heard about and couldnt give a rats ass about would be kinda asking for much, especially after all the money they have spent on the apartment we built and all the christmas expenses
dgtal
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dgtal »

who is that anonymous? s/he is the top donor.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

dgtal wrote:who is that anonymous? s/he is the top donor.
That person asked to remain ananymous. The are from the UK and are very kind! :)