PF Concert and RoIO Database Project 2007 (NPF)

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

PF Concert and RoIO Database Project 2007 (NPF)

Post by Keith Jordan »

One of my projects for the duration of 2007 is to make a Pink Floyd and solo members database detailing all their concerts, RoIOs associated with them and perhaps a while down the line, a module where people can make an account for themselves and detail what RoIOs they have with the view to trading with each other and/or requesting they upload the show to the NPF Tracker!

I want to do it as a PHP/MySQL project of my own for "fun" so is not a redundant idea considering we already have the http://www.pf-db.com website on the internet.

So, does anyone have anyh thoughts about this?

Development Stages

In terms of developing it, it will be done in small parts over time. So first, I shall simply make a database listing all their concerts. There would be a form to search/filter concerts by year for example. Perhaps as a second iteration, add city/venue info. Third iteration, add set lists. Then you could select a song and see how many times it had been played and in which countries and venues, for whatever use that would be! :lol: Then another iteration would be to add details of RoIOs available, then track listings of the RoIOs as some may be different to the setlist performed etc. Then another iteration at some point amongst all that, add the ability for people to open an account to help add concerts and concert details.

Those are just some thoughts. Very informal.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

if your gonna do this, might i suggest to add the known recordings to the list with the dates. This way people could see what Roios/voios are available for the dates and give them a chance to know what recording/version is the best... this would seperate NPFs list from all others.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I don't quite understand what you mean Jedi.... :?
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

ok an example

1994-06-11 New York - 3 audio sources - 2 video sources in circulation
audio: live in new york, a pig in the apple, pigs in new york
video: pink floyd in new york, yankee stadium 1994/06/11 Voio

this way people can look at one place and see if there is a recording from the show they are looking into, if its audio, video or both. there could also be a best recording icon or something to show the best quality recording from that date.
more clear now?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

pf-db already does that pretty well, but it uses a date system on the left-most column, as well as a rating system, so you can tell pretty quickly what is good and what isn't!

I just think that with pf-db there is already a high quality, regularly updated archive, and anything else (NPFArchives) would be kinda redundant.

But then I suppose it would be a lot more convenient to have it all in one spot, and we have a lot of bootleg experts around, so we could get some nice, accurate archiving going, with consistent discussion on the forums.

:-k
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The NPF Cpncert thing will be the greatest thing on the intenet! End of! Because I am making it!!! Oh yes! 8)
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

is this going to be a community project or your doing?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Both.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

i think it would be good to include roios/voios available, maybe even a way to indicate if they are on the tracker for download...
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

That's a great idea, some nice linking so that if people go "oooh I want that" they can see the link and get it :D

Only thing is that would require constant updating, it would need to be edited by people with html experience...... oh wait, I have html experience :P ;)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am not sure why people would need HTML experience to fill forms out but perhaps you know something I dont!! :lol:

I have made a start on the database, frontend and admin area. I shall do some more today!! Hopefully, within a week, I will have a system where all the the concerts are listed by date, venue and country. I may need some help adding all the concerts to the database so thanks for offering your help Jambo. It is much appreciated.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

nobody needs html experience when you have great sites like these!

http://www.pimpwebpage.com/
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Awwww :( I was hoping that we would have to enter it all manually, much more rewarding when completed!
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

My advice is to make this a Web 3.0 project.

What is web 3.0?

It's what I call websites or web applications (like this phpbb, or media wiki) where a group of user participate and help develop it "behind the scenes" for the other users who just use the website for it's original purpose.

I'm thinking of you to either to create a php web application where a Db is made for a certain band and it displays the info and avalible ROIO's and VOIO's for download. So this way you created an open source program where if someone for example wanted to make a MUSE db, they can just download your program, integrate it to their site, and then easily add in their data and bootleg torrents. (Is it possible to make bot seeder so a torrent could have at least one seeder at all time?). Don't forget to have your source code available like PHPbb does.

You could do this or you can just simply make the damn site with the ROIO torrent links or some way where I can get my hands quickly and easily on a roio. From just looking at that page.

Now don't try to make it wiki (vandalism) or email for adding info (takes too long and annoying). Instead I'm suggesting you create a project forum for the "developers". How you wanna run that FORUM and find and quick and efficient way to have data added to the db is your way.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am not sure I would want to make it open source in case someone spots a security issue with the code and exploits it! I have started designing it so any bands can be added and not just Pink Floyd. Perhaps one day it will turn into a separate general site for all bands!!

The first stage as previously mentioned is to make a database, front end and admin area for listing concert dates, venues, city and country for any band or solo artist. I will then add the ability to attach RoIOs to all those concert dates.