Syd goes 'postal' on American Bandstand.

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

mhspiper wrote:There were two performances on "American Bandstand" that night:
"See Emily Play" came first, in which Syd acted supposedly normal, as the footage for that part of th eshow has been deleted. That was followed by Q&A with Dick Clark. They then performed the video of "Apples and Oranges" that we see live floating around in black and white. It was actually originally broadcast in color, but, after the "American Bandstand" archives were wiped, a black-and-white recording was all that remained, along with a few seconds of the interview. Syd actually went "postal" on "The Pat Boone Show," where he hung his arms at his sides and refused to mime. Roger stepped in to save the show. No footage of this show is known to exist. It's a shame, as Syd's descent into madness is one of the most fascinating stories in rock and roll history.
I'd be very surprised if there were 2 performances on Bandstand. The interview with Clark was definitely after Apples and Oranges, not before.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

On the YouTube video, the surviving parts of the interview are spliced afterwards.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

mhspiper wrote:On the YouTube video, the surviving parts of the interview are spliced afterwards.
That is true for the You Tube clip but I have a copy of the unedited footage and the interview does follow Apples without any splices. The You Tube clip is missing a chunk of the interview. The unedited clip is over 5 minutes long, the You Tube clip is only 3:25 or so. Here's a summary of the complete clip..

Dick Clark holds a copy of Piper up to the camera. They mime Apples. Clark says "Apples..their latest release" and walks over to the band nearly bumping into Syd. Syd moves out of his way. Clark is standing between Syd and Waters. He asks Syd how long they are in the US and Waters what they have had to eat and how they liked hamburgers. Clark then asks Rick a couple of questions and asks Syd if he wrote Apples and if he wrote most of the songs on Piper. Rick the introduces the band. Clark wishes them well and talks about the next segment.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

Chris Moise wrote:
mhspiper wrote:On the YouTube video, the surviving parts of the interview are spliced afterwards.
That is true for the You Tube clip but I have a copy of the unedited footage and the interview does follow Apples without any splices. The You Tube clip is missing a chunk of the interview. The unedited clip is over 5 minutes long, the You Tube clip is only 3:25 or so. Here's a summary of the complete clip..

Dick Clark holds a copy of Piper up to the camera. They mime Apples. Clark says "Apples..their latest release" and walks over to the band nearly bumping into Syd. Syd moves out of his way. Clark is standing between Syd and Waters. He asks Syd how long they are in the US and Waters what they have had to eat and how they liked hamburgers. Clark then asks Rick a couple of questions and asks Syd if he wrote Apples and if he wrote most of the songs on Piper. Rick the introduces the band. Clark wishes them well and talks about the next segment.
any chance you could upload that to youtube???

please?
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

DBlaze wrote:
Chris Moise wrote: That is true for the You Tube clip but I have a copy of the unedited footage and the interview does follow Apples without any splices. The You Tube clip is missing a chunk of the interview. The unedited clip is over 5 minutes long, the You Tube clip is only 3:25 or so. Here's a summary of the complete clip..

any chance you could upload that to youtube???

please?
I'd love to but I don't have a DVD drive on my computer. The complete clip should be out there though. I'm not the only person that has it or anything..
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

Sorry about that! I was making assumptions based on things I'd read elsewhere. I really would love to see that whole clip, if anyone can get me a copy!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I too have the full clip. It has the timecode, an uncovered symbol and a covered symbol on the screen! Its a busy copy, but you do get extra footage not included on the Harvested anthology version.