Computer Programming - what code?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Computer Programming - what code?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am thinking of extending my skill set and learning a programming language to write and compile my own software, particularly for use within business. I am wanting to make a custom piece of software for my current employer to manage a whole load of data, run reports, do manipulation of data etc.

I am already decent with Access but want to extend beyond that murky environment.

I am pretty good with PHP which I believe is based upon C ?

Would C or Java be good options to learn?
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Its been a while since I did any programming, but I believe C would be a better choice then Java. Java applications just seem so sluggish to me. C++ (the object oriented version of C) is an industry standard, I think. And I think C also offers incredible flexibility, its a very powerful language.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I downloaded myself a copy of Microsoft Visual Studio for C++ in work today and will have a play with it tomorrow morning and see what is going on. Seems like an excellent piece of software for creating an application with SQL back end which is what I would be wanting to store millions of pieces of data!!

If I can progress quickly through this software and learn how to use it, I think I could make rather a lot of money from it!!! Hold my employer to ransom!!

Who knows... as part of me making a Floyd RoIO database thing, I could make a Windows application to connect to it and allow people to maintain their trade lists etc... perhaps with other bands also!! Very ambitious!! :lol:
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

haha, I think you'll pick it all up quickly, since you already have some experience. Also there are a LOT of resources available on the Internet for C/C++ so if you get stuck, just search around!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I just started downloading Visual Studio C++ again from here....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre ... /download/

and apparently MS offer lots of ebboks and video tutorials etc. so that should all come in handy!!!

I am hoping most of it is drag and drop sort of stuff and filling forms in and wizards etc!!! If not, I saw some book... learn C in 28 days or something like that. I guess I would do well to read something like that and see where I end up!
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

C++ is best for designing programs as you can take that PHP skills and use it

It is actually very similar
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Teach yourself C++ in 21 days looks like a good book. I am going to download a PDF of it and, if it is a useful resource, I will add a hardcopy to my collection from Amazon!

http://www.ebooksboard.com/sams-teach-y ... h-edition/
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

I'd recommend python, but that's for ppl getting into programming, like me, so for an experienced programmer like yourself, I'd recommend C#.

It's what the people of paint.net recommend:
I was quite impressed with how easy it was to build an application in C# and to keep it organized.
source: http://www.betanews.com/article/Intervi ... 1141071978

Now the best book to use to learn computer programming is the open-source books made by the good ppl at green-tree press.

Since their books are open source, they are corrected more quickly and easily developed (like a software).

Here's where you can learn C++ from the "How to Think Like a Computer Scientiest" series (which I'm using to learn python): http://greenteapress.com/thinkcpp/

Now Keith don't go to the dark side and make your software Proprietary.

Dam!t I want to play with at least one free source code in my life. But wait, never mind it's gonna be C++, can't ya use wxWidgets as your interface?

One more thing, you need more then 21 days to learn a programming language. It takes 10 years tops to be experienced in something.
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:10 years tops to be experienced in something.
A long time for me then
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

How goes the C++, Keith?

I've been coding in C since before C++ was invented. PM me if you have any questions.

I'm mainly a unix guy, so I'm not up on the Microsoft specifics, but people who work for me are.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I bought a book but have not had time to get into it yet!! I will have time in about 10 weeks so will be doing some then!! I did manage to make a form pop another form up!! And make a menu with the File/Exit command working and loads of other text! Not made any database stuff work yet whoch is what I need to do!!
hrudayagite_2391
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Computer Programming - what code?

Post by hrudayagite_2391 »

Ya surely java is the best options for the beginner to learn as he or she wanted to make ****************************as a log term goal.
But if you want to learn from the basics of coding then satrt from c , cpp.
Hope it will helpful to you.

Hi unfortunately you can't post links until you have 10 posts - Idz de rulz