Which solo songs date from PF era?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Last edited by Chris Moise on Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Last edited by Chris Moise on Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Chris Moise wrote:
lovescene4 wrote:Jones recalled Syd writing lyrics for it in the studio.
Actually Jones said Here I Go was the only song that Syd didn't require a lyric sheet for. Presumably because it wasn't a new song. Jones wouldn't have known that Syd wrote it earlier. Jones' quote it below..

This song was the only one I remember him needing no cue sheet at all.
It almost seems contradictory, as Jones states in the same source (The Making of 'The Madcap Laughs' p 7):

"He wrote it, I seem to remember, in a matter of minutes."

I do agree it's "Boon Tune," written earlier, but it seems likely he revised it somewhat for 'Madcap' (apparently at the session itself)... :?:
professor frogmorton
Axe
Axe

Post by professor frogmorton »

I don't think Boon Tune was revised. The references to the band do take on a new meaning in the context of Syd Barrett's career as a musician, but I think they were meant to be a parody of the dancehall type of song he was writing, a song intended for the old-timey Purple Gang to perform. The girl in question doesn't like rock and roll bands, she likes the big bands of the old days, hence "a big band is far better than you". Her sister thinks rock and roll is just fine. Very ironic in relation to Barrett in 1969.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

i'm just so glad he did 'em. :D