Syd Barrett Memorial - Astral Piper - CEN

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barrett Memorial - Astral Piper - CEN

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ci ... 5d025f.lpf

Dion's dream to immortalise psychedelic Syd

SYD Barrett fans want a striking sculpture like this to commemorate their hero.

A music lover from Australia is leading the project to build a memorial in Cambridge as a lasting tribute to the Pink Floyd founder.

Dion Johnson, from Astral Piper - The New Syd Barrett Appreciation Society, has won approval from Syd's family to pursue the dream.

Mr Johnson said: "They are a very warm and compassionate family, and this memorial project is just as much for them as it is to honour the legend and soul of Syd Barrett.

"To achieve this goal it is only fitting they be on the outside looking in without direct involvement. The only other step that will involve them is perhaps a final design choice, if it comes to that."

He added: "I think we need to remember that to us fans, Syd was a shining light that enhanced our lives with his music and much-admired charismatic personality.

"To the Barrett family, he was a much-loved individual who is now a very sadly missed family member. Both of these points need to be considered when we finalise the design for public display."

The sculpture design shown is an early idea and features an image of Syd as the wildhaired psychedelic rocker who shot to fame with Pink Floyd in the 1960s.

Mr Johnson has contacted Cambridge City Council about the idea and is awaiting feedback.

He hopes a sculpture could be built on a green space somewhere within the city.

"It is my belief that one of Cambridge's much-loved sons and creative geniuses deserves a memorial sculpture," he said.

" I am really keen for the people of Cambridge to be involved in this project, and I welcome any alternate design ideas from anybody, or any further input."

Dion Johnson
Dion Johnson
Astral Piper has a website http://www.sydbarrett.org , which includes numerous articles and photographs about Syd and is also being used to help raise money for the sculpture project.

Roger "Syd" Barrett, who lived in St Margaret's Square, Cambridge, died in July at the age of 60.

Dion Johnson can be contacted at [email protected]

'Peaceful' home gets new owner

A BID has been accepted for Syd Barrett's house.

Following huge interest from across the globe, a process of sealed bids has come to a close. The top offer for the modest 1930s semi in St Margaret's Square, Cambridge, is above the asking price of ?300,000, but the figure cannot be revealed until contracts are signed.

Cambridge-based agent Cheffins dealt with the sale and carried out 150 viewings - roughly 50 per cent more interest than a standard property.

Martin Walshe, senior residential partner at Cheffins, said: "Despite the interest from Syd's fans, the top bids all came from people attracted by the house itself. It's the sort of property which is very much sought after."

Rosemary Breen, Syd's sister, remembers him enjoying the house where he lived from 1981 until his death in July.

"He loved the peace and quiet of St Margaret's Square. The only intrusions to his peace were the occasional visits from fans," she said.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i remember the thread about the memorial a while ago when everyone was saying "at least wait 'till the guy dies" :cry:

i doubt anyone thought it would be this soon
Bαbi*BR

Post by Bαbi*BR »

Uhu! I'm totally in favor of it!
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Syd already has a monument; it's Pink Floyd. Just plant a grove of Beechwoods or something...
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

lovescene4 wrote:Syd already has a monument; it's Pink Floyd. Just plant a grove of Beechwoods or something...
(in Russian; first lines from a poem by the great Poushkin)"Ya pamyatnik sebe vozdvig nerukotvornyi, / K nemu ne zarastyet narodnaya tropa"
means (not a very literal translation)
"I built myself a monument, not hand-made,
A path to it will never be lost"

after Dion had told us about it at AP, we started coming up with ideas of a monument. My idea was to put a monument somewhere in a field in Cambridgeshire, near a road and near, maybe even just outside, Cambridge, also near the river.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Has this thing been built yet? Are there any plans to build it ever? I remember reading about it a while ago at another website but can't remember where.....
leahcim3360
Blade
Blade

Post by leahcim3360 »

This design is Exceptional
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

The design looks great yes...but it remindes me on the "black holes in the sky" verse.
Thats something that i wouldnt want for Syd to be remembered of...
Personaly, I would suggest a design that fits with "Shine on", or something to do with a "diamond".

But maybee i'm complicating it too much... :?
leahcim3360
Blade
Blade

Post by leahcim3360 »

Damn!t wrote:The design looks great yes...but it remindes me on the "black holes in the sky" verse.
Thats something that i wouldnt want for Syd to be remembered of...
Personaly, I would suggest a design that fits with "Shine on", or something to do with a "diamond".

But maybee i'm complicating it too much... :?

This is how Dion over at AstralPiper sees it:

""This is clearly the most expensive of the design ideas. It would stand 15 feet tall, be made of 4 curved metal legs, joined to a large metal disc, containing a smaller metal cut-template of Syd's face. So when we visit it and look up we see the sunlight streaming in though Syd's image"

Sortof a Shine-On idea........

and Dion speaks of geometic designs cut into the four massive rounded supporting legs...not a bad place for an intricate diamond symbol.

btw, they are requesting input for design nuances...
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

It would be cool if they do make it, but I'm only saying that because I plan on moving to Cambridge to go to university there! (and to get away from the damn North!!)
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

The memorial looks a little bit like a Far Eastern religion-type thing. I like the design though. It gives of vibes of Syd. I'd be happy with any memorial. Some place that people could get together and enjoy a picnic would be nice :)
leahcim3360
Blade
Blade

Post by leahcim3360 »

Yeah,

...the idea is to place this in 'green space'...

a good picknick basket, a bottle of wine, Syd's music on quietly on a boom box.

Not a bad day...!
mrlimbo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mrlimbo »

I really like it , but i cant see it being possible in this day and age , who's going to pay for ongoing maintinence , safety inspections , public liability insurance etc etc the list goes on , one things for sure no county council will want that cost tied around there necks for evermore.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Let a Pink Floyd fan council (or should I say Floyd Council :lol: ?) be then :lol:
leahcim3360
Blade
Blade

Post by leahcim3360 »

mrlimbo wrote:I really like it , but i cant see it being possible in this day and age , who's going to pay for ongoing maintinence , safety inspections , public liability insurance etc etc the list goes on , one things for sure no county council will want that cost tied around there necks for evermore.
Cities/counties have many parks with sculptures, and I doubt ther'd be a lot of 'maintenence' other than of the green space, and cities/counties aalready have whatever liability insurance a park/public art space might need.

I think realistically the only real obstacle is the procurement cost.

(and they're selling tee shirts to help raise the money
http://www.sydbarrett.org/sydmemorial.htm )