The Artwork of Roger Keith Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Do you like the artwork of Syd Barrett?

Yes
67%
No
14%
Other
19%

Total votes: 21

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Artwork of Roger Keith Barrett

Post by Keith Jordan »

I thought it would be nice to take a look at the artwork of Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett and perhaps have people choose their favourites!!!

Syd Barrett Artwork - http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/galle ... rrettsArt/

If you know of/have any photos of his art not in the gallery already, please send them to me to include!!

One of my favourites is a sketch he did for former girlfriend Libby Gausden. This is greatness!!!

Click to enlarge.

nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I basically don't like his "art"...the globular extract, crosses and the human whatever, basically the abstract paintings are the most accepable ones to me...remember, though, that I am an art-snob with six years of education and have had more art shows than Syd...I don't make art anymore really.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Do you think his artwork is very amateur?? I think it is a little but I still like it.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

Keith Jordan wrote:Do you think his artwork is very amateur?? I think it is a little but I still like it.
that's why i like it...like his songs, it has a childish feel to it at times
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

i'm not too familiar with all of Syd's art but i do like the one Keith posted! It's funny cause usually you wait for the water to turn hot but turning the water cold usually doesn't take that long. and who takes a cold bath? LOL Syd is the man.

and come on, he wrote meniscus, how can you not like this drawing

can anyone decipher everything he wrote?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:Do you think his artwork is very amateur?? I think it is a little but I still like it.
Basically, yeah. I do think the mirrors on his guitar are a great artistic device - and would consider that art. I also don't like Ron Wood's drawings, but do consider John Lennon's "simple" drawings as art...oh hell, his wife was an artist, and quite good too during the 60's and 70's (see, she was quite contemporary).
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

He whasnt a great artist...and I dont like his paintings or drawings very much i must say.
Syds artwork has a different kind of value...
I know a guy who lives near me that has one of his paintings.
Nothing special...but...I would like to have it hanging on my wall...
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I'm not a fan of abstract art myself, but I have such a fondness for Syd, that I love everything he did, music and art-wise. My favorite is the floral still life he painted for Rosemary in 1963 whilst at Camberwell. I wanted it so badly at the Cheffin's auction, but 9,500 pounds was a bit of a stretch for me, especially after I bought his notebooks... 8)
Swan lee
Axe
Axe

Post by Swan lee »

I think this sketch show all Syd tenderness ! :smt049

He wrote " Mum says it will take about a week for the boiler to heat any more water. Mum was very cross. She hit me. I cried. " :cry:

Poor sweet Syd
Swan lee
Axe
Axe

Post by Swan lee »

For what concerns the poll, I don't like Syd abstract art. I like very much the same floral painting of Syd's sexy.. Its very simple and beautiful.
Swan lee
Axe
Axe

Post by Swan lee »

Syd's sexy you are very lucky ! You bought Syd notebook at the auction?
I think it's very beautiful to have something written and touched by Syd ! :smt049

I envy you ! :)
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

Swan lee wrote:I think this sketch show all Syd tenderness ! :smt049

He wrote " Mum says it will take about a week for the boiler to heat any more water. Mum was very cross. She hit me. I cried. " :cry:

Poor sweet Syd
thanx, i thought it was cross but wasnt sure. is cross more popularly used in England than the US? ive never heard anyone use it before to mean frustrated/angry besides the lyrics to Paintbox, is this a coincidence or was the term used often?
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Artwork of Roger Keith Barrett

Post by cymbaline212 »

Keith Jordan wrote:
One of my favourites is a sketch he did for former girlfriend Libby Gausden. This is greatness!!!
do you know an approx date for when he dated Libby Gausden? the artwork seems like it wouldnt be done by anyone older than their early teens. and id be kinda embarassed telling my girlfriend that my mum hit me and i cried lol, i guess he was just a very open person.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yes, 1961 - 1964.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Swan lee wrote:Syd's sexy you are very lucky ! You bought Syd notebook at the auction?
I think it's very beautiful to have something written and touched by Syd ! :smt049

I envy you ! :)
Yes, I bought the first lot of notebooks. I'm so glad I went to the auction. It was quite an experience.