What do you think about this...?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
ugljesic
Embryo
Embryo

What do you think about this...?

Post by ugljesic »

'it was not uncommon for Barrett to be throwing things out of closed windows, howling like a wolf and shouting what he wanted to do to Roger Waters!'

It is a quote from NPF Magazine - December 2006 Edition
http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/magazine/

Do you think that Syd actualy hated Waters?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Are you kidding? Of course he did! That broken window story, though perhaps exaggerated, is true. I have pictures of his house at St. Margaret's Square at various times with different windows boarded up.

Here's an a propos photoshop rendition courtesy of Mr. Limbo...

:lol: :lol:
ugljesic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ugljesic »

i really heven't picture him like that. I thougt he was all in his own world. but, in light of that then it's not nice of the boys to sing songs dedicated to him. it's like putting oil on the fire! isn't it?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

For the most part, he was pretty reserved and solitary. Other than hearing a very small portion of WYWH in the recording studio in 1975, I don't know that Syd ever heard, or even cared to hear, any PF songs or albums after his departure (or ousting, however you want to look at it). Truth be known, he barely listened to his own solo recordings after they were released.
ugljesic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ugljesic »

Why then he hated rog? back then i don't think he was so megalomaniac and perfectionist as he later turned out to be?! If he didn't listen to their work, i can't think of any good reason to hate roger. appart from going on with the band and keeping the band's name. a bit ironic, isn't it?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

The music really doesn't matter in and of itself. I don't think there is any way Syd could avoid having knowledge of how monstrously successful his band had become, and knowing Waters was its leader had to be infuriating.

Although they were friends as teenagers and in the early years, there are many stories about quite heated arguments between Syd and Roger in the studio whilst recording both PATGOD and the singles. They never creatively agreed on much of anything, but did manage to collaborate efforts with Rick and Nick to put out one of the most classic psychedelic albums of all time.

Of course this is all an expression of my opinions based on my research and others might choose to disagree with me.

Maybe you will enjoy this...

Then again, you might not, but I thought it was a pretty accurate depiction...the bonfire in the backyard, broken glass....
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

I can imagine that Roger Waters didn't leave Syd Barretts's strange behaviour uncommented. Schaffner writes in his book that he became very hostile towards Barrett. And this was no fun for sure. Nick Mason also harboured a grudge but was too indecisive to take action. It is not quite clear who decided to sack Barrett since the Band gave no statement on this, but I think it was Nick Mason who reported that Roger Waters was the one who had the guts to throw Syd out. So Syd Barrett had a good reason to dislike Roger Waters whom he may claim responsible for him being sacked.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Waters is purportedly the one who said "Fuck it, we're not picking Syd up" on the way to that Southampton gig.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Someone had to do it....
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Perhaps, but the method leaves a bit to be desired in the diplomacy and respect department, especially from someone who was a supposed "friend" for so many years...
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Point given but it's quite hard to interact with a person who is supposedly mentally ill. At least Roger Waters tried to make him see a psychiatrist. You know that Syd Barrett refused to cooperate -understandable from his point of view-. I'm sure he would have acted otherwise if he would have had the chance.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I hear you, and who's to know if various conversations ever took place among the band members with Syd present. I just wish it had happened differently, but it's all "water under the bridge" so to speak.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Syd'sSexy wrote:Waters is purportedly the one who said "fuck it, we're not picking Syd up" on the way to that Southampton gig.
Couse Roger whas the only one at the time that had the guts to say what whas on everybodys mind at the time.
If i had a freaking lunatic in my band, i would kick him out sooner.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Oh Lord, don't get me started on the lunacy thing.... :roll:

**SS gets coat**
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

...i wont.