Pink Floyd in New BBC2 TV Music Series - 7 Ages of Rock

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pink Floyd in New BBC2 TV Music Series - 7 Ages of Rock

Post by Keith Jordan »

Pink Floyd are to feature in a new BBC2 TV music series called The Seven Ages of Rock. The seven part series of 60 minute programs explores rock music from the 1960's to the present day. Part two will feature Pink Floyd and was made by BBC Bristol.

NPF sent out a request last year asking people to send in footage of Pink Floyd from their 70s concerts as the BBC were lacking significant material from this era. Unfortunately, it seems they did not receive much footage that was broadcast quality. The BBC's Tony Higgins told NPF, "The footage appeal went well but in the end most if it was not of broadcast quality. But we have some great stills and creative use of existing archive so hopefully it should be an enjoyable watch".

The weekly series is due to be broadcast for seven consecutive weeks starting on Saturday 19th May 2007. The broadcast time is to be confirmed.

Full Info

Starting May 19, BBC Two takes us on a journey through the Seven Ages of Rock and explores the music that has been the soundtrack to our lives, defining each generation since the 1960's, from the crackly 45 to MP3s.

Seven Ages of Rock will, through the prism of iconic artists such as Roger Waters, David Bowie, Bryan Ferry, Phil Collins, Debbie Harry, Ozzy Osbourne, Johnny Marr, Dave Grohl, Noel Gallagher, Damon Albarnand Alex Kapranos, explore key eras in rock, telling the story of each age through the music itself. Each episode breaks down key tracks, providing a social context.

Notebooks ready, here’s a brief guide to the lesson plan:

1. The Road to Woodstock

The rock revolution of the 1960’s as seen through the life and music of Jimi Hendrix. This episode also explores the influence of rhythm & blues on a generation of British musicians such as The Rolling Stones, and shows how Bob Dylan and The Beatles transformed the ambitions of rock.

2. Between Rock And an Art Place

From the pop-art multi-media experiments of Andy Warholand the Velvet Underground to the sinister gentility of Peter Gabriel’s Genesis, this episode will trace the story of how artistic and conceptual expression permeated rock.

3. Blank Generation

A tale of two cities, class and race-driven London and bankrupt New York. Each city gave birth to a bastard child that changed popular music forever - punk. We will explore the music of The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones, Television, Patti Smith, The Damned and Buzzcocks.

4. Never Say Die

The longest surviving genre in rock, certainly the loudest, Heavy Metal is the most controversial and misunderstood of all rock genres, emerging at the tail end of the hippy dream. With Black Sabbath as the undisputed Godfathers, we follow their highs and lows, and meet Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Metallica.
'Don't tell anyone you don't own 'Blonde on Blonde'. It's gonna be okay'.
Jack Black in 'High Fidelity'

5. Global Jukebox

We follow the development of some the biggest names in rock in the 70s and 80s (Queen, The Police, Dire Straits) and examine how rock achieved a global influence on culture and politics through MTV and events such as Live Aid. We see how U2 effectively brought this era to a close, re-imagining what it meant to be a successful rock band.

6. The Last Rock Star

We trace the history of the American underground music scene that produced bands like REM, Nirvana and The Pixies, and why they resonated with ‘Generation X’ – offering an alternative to the established music industry and Reaganesque politics. Of course this includes a fresh look at the Seattle ‘grunge’ scene, culminating in the short life of Kurt Cobain – an artist whose triumph and tragedy continues to cast an inescapable shadow.

7. What the World is Waiting For

British Indie music was once seen as the bastion of the earnest ‘High Fidelity’ snob. Often political, indie was a way of defining oneself in a sea of vapid chart fodder, a redoubt against Blur v Oasis, indie was a marketing device, ultimately losing it’s integrity at Oasis’s Knebworth spectacle in 1996. Indie was mainstream. Indie was dead.

But was it?

From The Libertines to Franz Ferdinand and The Arctic Monkeys, indie labels reconnected to their fans, using both new technology and good old rock n roll to inspire and motivate a new generation to ditch the decks and pick up a guitar.

Rock is back.
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Is anyone going to record this? There are a lot of us who probably can't watch BBC. Thanks.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

really a shame that no good footage is around from this era of floyd... its when they were at the best. i guess this assures us there is no hidden gem of darkside from its era. :cry:
viewaskewser
Embryo
Embryo

Post by viewaskewser »

I'm assuming that they got a copy of the Harvested 8mm dvd. Does anyone know if this will be broadcasted on BBC America, for those of us on this side of the pond.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

very cool avatar, viewaskewser
theman4455245
Blade
Blade
Location: The Only Place You Can't Show Breasts On Television

Post by theman4455245 »

Will this be on BBC America, I may get screwed on this because (if you can't tell by what is says for location) I'm in America. Or will this go up on A tracker?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Dont know if it will be on BBC America but I dont think it will be on the NPF Tracker as the BBC will get me!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

This series looks like its going to be a must get for the dvd recorder, thanks for the advance warning Keith.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Stephen wrote:This series looks like its going to be a must get for the dvd recorder, thanks for the advance warning Keith.
I very much agree! Record away!!! ;-) It's my job to mention these things! 8)
theman4455245
Blade
Blade
Location: The Only Place You Can't Show Breasts On Television

Post by theman4455245 »

I didn't say the NPF tracker :wink: Just... A tracker

PS- Sorry for the offencive avatar.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/syd_barrett/news/9748

A rare Pink Floyd promo video for "Jughead Blues" is to be screened on TV for the first time, as part of a new BBC documentary series "The Seven Ages Of Rock."

The promo video was made by the Central Office of Information (COI) primarily for North American, Canadian and Australian television and is made up of small shorts including talking computors and see-through teapots.

"Jughead Blues" was the final video that Syd Barrett was included in before he was replaced by Roger Waters.

The new series will also feature a multitude of rare and never-seen-before film footage, including the first known broadcast of an alternate promo for the Floyd single "Arnold Layne" as well as home-made film footage of the band in 1967.

Previously unknown to Pink Floyd collectors, there is also a clip of the first film in colour of the band with David Gilmour.

The Floyd material will be part of episode two, a special on art rock - entitled "Between Rock And An Art Place."

Other rarities that "The Seven Ages Of Rock" have unearthed include a first broadcast of the Velvet Underground performing at the Annual Dinner of the New York Society for Clinical Psychiatry on January 13, 1966.

There will also be swathes of never-seen-before clips of David Bowie, including his show at the Rainbow Theatre on August 19 1972 and a perfomance of "Space Oddity" at the Ivor Novello Awards in May 1970. Both are being broadcast for the first time.

You can watch "The Seven Ages Of Rock" from Saturday May 19 on BBC2 at 9pm.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the heads up Keith. This sounds like its going to be a brilliant music series but most of all I can't wait to catch a glimpse of those see through tea pots.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

i hate not getting the BBC... i must switch to the dish.
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

David Bowie and Velvet Underground! Excellent stuff.