Syd Live

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Syd Live

Post by ironbaden »

every time I read story's about Syd's group " Stars " I'm left feeling that they only played one Gig...the corn Exchange and it went badly. However , If I'm not mistaken, there were actually several gigs Performed by Stars , maybe 7 or 8 , maybe others. My point of this ramble is .... how did the other gigs go? are there any known reviews? were they good , bad or Ugly? Just curious. Thanks. :D
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

The Stars gig at the Corn Exchange was horrendous and received terrible reviews. I wholeheartedly believe after Syd walked off the stage, knowing what a failure it was, precluded him from ever performing live again. Such a shame. I've heard some ROIOs from that show, and the acoustics....geez! Syd had to virtually scream the words to the songs, and you still could barely hear him!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Syd'sSexy wrote:I've heard some ROIOs from that show,
I didn't know that there are any in circulation...Where on earth did you hear a recording of this?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I lied. Sorry. They are the four tracks from Syd's appearance in Royal Festival Hall in June 1970. I get those 2 debacles mixed up. I apologize.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Ah, right ho! But yes, that recording of the concert at the Royal Festival Hall does sound truly atrocious, but then again, most recordings from that era sound terrible, as the recording devices were completely primitive.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I forgot to post this on my other response...

ImageImageImage

And I call myself a Syd fan? :roll:
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

If he wasn't so damn sexy you wouldn't have forgotten!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Touche!

I think it more a consequence of excessive alcohol consumption though...
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Did somebody mention alcohol?

Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

How dare you post a picture of my father on a public forum! I'm contacting the moderators immediately!
:evil:

ImageImageImage
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

So...... we've drifted off topic..... let me bring it back. Has anyone heard of any reviews of stars gigs other than the Corn Exchange. The Roio that you guy's have been talking about i believe was not a stars gig as David was playing bass. :D
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

ironbaden wrote:So...... we've drifted off topic..... let me bring it back. Has anyone heard of any reviews of stars gigs other than the Corn Exchange. The Roio that you guy's have been talking about i believe was not a stars gig as David was playing bass. :D

I've read (however reliable that is) that the few other gigs Stars did were at parties and such so I doubt any reviews were made.

Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Hmmm. I wasn't aware of that. I assumed (you know what that means) that Twink and Monck were "hand-selected" if you will, by Syd, to accompany him, and that once he quit there would be no reason for them to continue playing together.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

. . .
Last edited by lovescene4 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

lovescene4 wrote:
According to bassist Jack Monck, the early Stars gigs went well. A few days before the infamous show with MC5, Syd went to see his old band play at the Rainbow Theatre in London. I'm guessing the level of audio/visual sophistication they'd achieved by that time did not help his confidence.
this is very interesting, i wonder if he got a backstage pass! :D, i bet some fan was like whoa! i saw Syd in line at the bathroom! and his friends were nah man you've been doing too much acid.