Waters best metaphor?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
henno

Post by henno »

Syd'sSexy wrote: The Cuyahoga is in the summertime when the water is stagnant and the algae have overtaken it.... :wink: :lol:

*hears Michael Stipe screaming in the background 'Cuyahoooooooga'.... excellent song!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Yeah, he could do that :D The way he did it in the fade-in of "Pilgrimage" :D
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

PublicImage wrote:
nosaj wrote:That is also not serious!
Nothing that isn't serious is correct.
Not necessarily

If you mean correct in a completely objective way then that is possibly true, but if we can subjectifly decide if something is correct or not then the entire genre of satire in literature and other arts could be considered both correct and not serious
JKealy
Blade
Blade

Post by JKealy »

I'm not impressed by the majority - gay intellectual shit I could come up with and did when I was about 13 but discarded cos it was silly and contrived. i mean 'the wall' - every track's another brick in it - wow, you're a clever one aren't ya!!!

animals - each song a different flavur of animal!

how about 'shapes'

track 1: parallelogram
track 2: square
track 3: triangle

'parallelogram' being a melancholy love song lmao - 'we're two lines, so near, but so far, though we run side by side, we'll never ever meet, ooooh parallelogram (backing vocals: parallelogram!)'

etc
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

JKealy wrote:'parallelogram' being a melancholy love song lmao - 'we're two lines, so near, but so far, though we run side by side, we'll never ever meet, ooooh parallelogram (backing vocals: parallelogram!)'

etc
:smt017

Parallelogram actually consists out of four lines...
JKealy
Blade
Blade

Post by JKealy »

ok then...

parallelogram (part one)

parallelogram (part two)

(not as if roger's adverse to using that trick)

part one reps the first two parallel lines

part two the others

an epic tale of two unfulfilled loves - crooned by rog

i seriously think pink floyd's lyrics denigrated with age - 'let there be more light' is amazing, really gets your mind going - hereward the wake, space landings, and eerie colours flying in the black black night.
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

I can't believe my favorite waters metaphor hasn't been mentioned here:

"She stood in the doorway, the ghost of a smile
haunting her face like a cheap motel sign."

beautiful
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

Ringorocks wrote:
The Great Pig In The Sky wrote:well, eyes like black holes in the sky is a metaphor....or maybe not? :?
No. This is a comparison due to the word "like".
Had it been a metaphor, it would be "His eyes are/were black holes in the sky", but that wouldn't really make sense. I even had to alter the lyric so I could make it make sense.

I really have no life.
To further this: C&P
A metaphor takes two nouns and not only compares them but actually states that from some perspective they are identical.
A simile - or to be like something - is to retain some irresolvable difference which means one can never fully substitute for the other. On the other hand, a metaphor actually is a substitution - it is an equation in principle.

Ergo:

A metaphor is an equation where a simile is an approximation.
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

simpledumbpilot wrote:I'll have to second ''Two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl'', inspired!

Chicks dig, dig D.I.G. dig, dig metaphors!
When i saw your location, i... started singing the Ant Rap. Now i have a distinct urge to go and watch the video. hopefully, when i die, whoever's upstairs wont know about this. :oops:

this isn't a metaphor, BUT its my favourite LINE, which is what i think alot of us have been submitting as 'metaphors';

Come at the end of my shift, we'll go and get pissed, but not now John, i gotta get on with this.

Fabulous!

I would also say that Animals is the album most wrought with Roger's intense metaphors, with Dark Side and WYWH as close seconds. Not the Wall, that one's ourightly telling you what he thinks, hah.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

JKealy wrote:ok then...

parallelogram (part one)

parallelogram (part two)

(not as if roger's adverse to using that trick)

part one reps the first two parallel lines

part two the others

an epic tale of two unfulfilled loves - crooned by rog

Double Core 2, anyone? :lol: :lol:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

orange floyd wrote:When i saw your location, i... started singing the Ant Rap. Now i have a distinct urge to go and watch the video. hopefully, when i die, whoever's upstairs wont know about this. :oops:
LOL, I think youre the first person to get it! I was going to change the location to ''The wild frontier'' at one point :)
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Post by Frankymole »

moom wrote:All of his late-Floyd stuff.
For example, "They can polish their medals and sharpen their smiles, and amuse themselves being kings for awhile"
Games, not kings!
Duncarin
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Duncarin »

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" is brilliant. Not a metaphot though, more like a fact.

"It all makes perfect sense, expressed in dollars and cents, pounds shillings and pence" that one is great too.
herramias
Embryo
Embryo

Post by herramias »

Perfect Sense prt1:
The song itself is a circle. I refer to the first verse line "turned his back on the garden...." and ending with the before mentioned "...in search of the garden of Eden." A great way to emphasize the individual parts in the song about "memory is a stranger, history is for fools" parts. That we have learned nothing from our mistakes. Not a metaphor but ingenius song.
From ATD:
"Man is a tool in the hands/Of the great God Almighty"
How using religion as a reason obspletes him from responsibility. And What God Wants shows the dual morality residing in the christian world.
All in all there are countless "gems". Now that is a metaphore. or is it?
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Waters best metaphor?

Post by Hogtown »

This is a nice thread.

It is now resurrected! :lol: I'm not the smartest, so I can learn so much by you posting in this thread.