Pink Floyd Books

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Pink Floyd Books

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Do you think I should purchase the book Pink Floyd: Through the Eyes of ... The Band, Its Fans, Friends and Foes by Bruno MacDonald? It sounds similar to Pink Floyd: The Press Reports by Vernon Fitch, a book I really enjoyed.

I'm definitely getting Which One's Pink by Phil Rose.

Any other recommendations? (Note: Please only recommend books that are still in print)
Ailbhe
Axe
Axe

Post by Ailbhe »

No ......I'd advise you not to buy it. The whole book contains about one or two worthwhile articles, one of them being a Roger Waters interview about the Wall. Moreover The Press Reports contains most of the stuff there.I personally would suggest A Saucerful Of Secrets if you dont have it already.
Hey, tell me about the Which One's Pink book when you get it! I'm going to buy Bricks In The Wall by Karl Dallas.......anyone any comments?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

"Which One's Pink" is a very thoughtful analysis of the albums from DSOTM through TFC.

I don't always agree with the author's interpretations, but at least he thought about the albums. He even goes into how the actual music supports the feelings the lyrics convey.

The analysis of The Wall includes some brilliant cross referencing of works on psychiatry that parallel Pink's neurosis/psychosis.

Well worth the price. I believe it can only be bought along with a copy of The Wall in Berlin.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I got my copy of Which One's Pink, and i have to say i thought it to be a very worthwhile purchase e.t.c because i'm not to interested in a band biography, i want to know more about the lyrics and the overall meanings of the songs rather than how hard it was to replace syd barret, so the book was for me the perfect book on the floyd.

The press reports was great to, i also have through the eyes off... which on my opinion is good at first, the A-Z of songs at the end is particularly good, but a lot of the artciles aren't very interesting atall and the book misses great periods and is especially brief around the AHM era of the band. Not really worth buying.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

I got Mind over Matter by Storm Thorgerson.

although its expensive even for the paperback, and theres mostly pictures, rather than actual information, there is a lot of about how Storm and Hypnosis designed the albums covers and the bits inside :)

its always cool to look at anyway :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

[quote="Furious"]I got Mind over Matter by Storm Thorgerson.

although its expensive even for the paperback, and theres mostly pictures, rather than actual information,quote]

A picture tells a thousand words!! :lol:
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I've read parts of Bricks In The Wall, its good, I thought.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I want Bricks in the Wall, but I thought it was out of print...So what's the deal with it?

I have SOS, PFE, PFPR, and MOM, and I am definitely getting WOP now.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I've got Crazy Diamond, the syd barret story to, amazingly moving book, i never knew until i read it just how much of a tragedy it truely was, i also never had an interest in Syd until i read i, now i've got a syd dvd (syd's first trip) and both studio albums, looking to buy opel soon. That book changed my view of syd.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Another great Syd book is LOST IN THE WOODS. As well as being a great insight into Syd, it is also just about the best book out there that describes the early days of Pink Floyd. You also get a pretty good idea of the circumstances that surrounded Syd's breakdown, apart from the usual 'acid casualty' story.