Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
mosespa

Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Post by mosespa »

It's been being discussed in another thread that it might be nice if we had another project like Double Core to brew.

Seeing as Pink Floyd are obviously not inclined to reunite and produce a new album anytime soon, we might as well do it, eh? :D

It might be a little soon, because I certainly don't want to detract from Double Core while it's still spreading it's wings...but, with a new project, we're going to have to start completely from scratch.

Again, Double Core came with song titles and "songwriting credits" already established...we don't have another "gift" like that to work from; so we have to start from scratch. Unless everyone wants to simply recycle the same song titles and such and have a completely different group of people write and record songs with those titles (which I think would ultimately create too much confusion.)

Going with the idea of starting a whole new project from scratch, I decided to be the one to go ahead and begin the thread where we start discussing what sort of concept this album could have.

At the moment, I'm saving all my concept ideas for my own projects (which are all in various stages of "never going to see the light of day," :lol: )

So...any ideas?
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Right...Back To Square One, Anyone?

Post by cwta eugene »

Like I suggested earlier, perhaps we should make Syd's final LP, the one he didn't get to finish in '74. We already have some song titles-"If you go, Don't be slow", "John Lee Hooker", etc. I think it would be nice to write from Syd's point of view realizing that his old band, who had just written DSOTM, were fast on there way to becoming multi-millionaires while he was getting fatter from eating porch chops and living his days watching the color telley!

Or perhaps, where The Wall was mostly an autoboigraphy of Roger's with a bit of Syd's life placed in as well ( "I got nicotine stains on my fingers"), this time we could write it from Syd's point of view. Instead of The Wall, it could be called The Door or something, as in Syd felt comfortable behind the door of his Cambridge house like Roger felt comfortable behind his wall.

Just some suggestions to get us started. I really like this idea. 8)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Some good ideas, indeed :D

Just a couple of questions...because there ARE some things that I don't know. (Mark this day down on the calendar, I may never say that again :lol: )
cwta eugene wrote:1. Like I suggested earlier, perhaps we should make Syd's final LP, the one he didn't get to finish in '74. We already have some song titles-"If you go, Don't be slow", "John Lee Hooker", etc.

2. I think it would be nice to write from Syd's point of view realizing that his old band, who had just written DSOTM, were fast on there way to becoming multi-millionaires while he was getting fatter from eating porch chops and living his days watching the color telley!

Or perhaps, where The Wall was mostly an autoboigraphy of Roger's with a bit of Syd's life placed in as well ( "I got nicotine stains on my fingers"), this time we could write it from Syd's point of view. Instead of The Wall, it could be called The Door or something, as in Syd felt comfortable behind the door of his Cambridge house like Roger felt comfortable behind his wall.

3. Just some suggestions to get us started. I really like this idea. 8)
1. These song titles...are there actually songs that are circulating that have these titles? Even as ROIO misfits? (Mislabed tracks, mystery tracks, etc. etc. )

Even though we'd be using original material, the fact of using possibly existant songtitles in an admittedly "Syd" frame of reference, we could still draw unwanted attention from money hungry, empty headed guys in suits. We don't want that.

I like the idea of creating our impression of what Syd's last album might have sounded like, but I think it would be best if we created our own titles, too. Make them "Syd-ish," but without actually using titles that might already exist.

Hmmm...am I rendundant enough, yet? :lol:

2. I like this idea, as well...it might be a little depressing...but so was The Wall and The Final Cut.

Having said that, I really like the idea of a "rock opera" along those lines made out of the kind of music like Syd made.

3. I like this idea, too. Following the completion of Double Core, I thought that I might not even pick up a guitar for a month or so. But with the idea of another project coming along, I'm getting a little jazzed.

Anyone else got any ideas?

It really doesn't have to be a full-blown "concept," I suppose. "Themes" would work nicely, too.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

mosespa wrote:Just a couple of questions...because there ARE some things that I don't know.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

**checks pulse**

:lol: :lol:
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
mosespa wrote:Just a couple of questions...because there ARE some things that I don't know.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

**checks pulse**

:lol: :lol:
Did I detect some Diet Coke coming out of your nostrils?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

fatoldbob wrote:Did I detect some Diet Coke coming out of your nostrils?
LMAO!!! Actually I am drinking a beer at the moment, and I'm glad I didn't take a swig before reading either post! :wink:
Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

Dark Side of the moon part 2 maybe? , it could be called the bright side of the sun :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not but seriously, I think this album would have a great potential for a part 2!
Back to the moon 35 years later that would be cool 8) and it would be a great challenge as well!
Since this thread is about sharing ideas , this is mine! :)
If I come up with something else , I'll brought it up, so let's brainstorm together you Floydian Freak out there :D
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

How about Return of the Son of Looking Through The Knothole In Granny's Wooden Leg?

We could come up with an interesting four chord progression and interweave various interpretations into a single 45 minute track.

No vocals allowed.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

What do you think of these lyrics I wrote today concerning Syd?

Someday I’ll take the time, for the memories in mind
I’ll take me out some paper and a pen,
And I’ll dust off my guitar, the one with mirrors that shine like stars
And make the world a love song once again,

Someday I’ll put to bed, all the demons in my head
I’ll take a record out and play myself The Gnome,
Instead of hiding from the knocks, I’m gonna take off all those locks
And I will open up the door into my home,

Someday I might just sing out loud, I’ll hold my head up and be proud
And welcome back the smile I once wore,
I’ll grow back out my hair and let it curl without a care
And find some paint that I can spread upon the floor,

I’ll walk myself to where we used to play,
The Roundhouse will be standing tall, and UFO and All Saints Hall,
And we’ll all dance again to Games for May,

Someday I’ll call that Eskimo, the pretty girl I used to know
And ask her then if she’ll become my wife,
Someday I’ll take the time, for all these memories in my mind
If not in this one, then perhaps the afterlife?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

cwta eugene wrote:What do you think of these lyrics I wrote today concerning Syd?

Very nicely written lyrics CWTAE! :D They are definitely thought-provoking!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

fatoldbob wrote:How about Return of the Son of Looking Through The Knothole In Granny's Wooden Leg?

We could come up with an interesting four chord progression and interweave various interpretations into a single 45 minute track.

No vocals allowed.
Good idea. But what happens when somebody ends up spending 10 minutes playing each chord?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

cwta eugene wrote:What do you think of these lyrics I wrote today concerning Syd?

I like them...and they've given me an idea for a Syd-esque (I think, anyway) that I'll play with and see what comes out.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

This is rather ambitious, but we could try to do an album that emulated the style for each major era of Floyd, i.e., The Syd Era, The space rock era, the experimental/pastoral pre-DSTOM era, the classic era, the post RW era, or something like that.

Or, we could do a song cycle with 1-3 songs emulating each era (perhaps a double CD length) and following a story, perhaps the rise and fall of a fictious Pink Floyd-like band, that way people would get to pick songs to write from their favourite eras. I'd be willing to hammer out a rough story idea for something like that that we could then work on together. Like a Floyd album, we could layer in voices, like fake interview clips from the various eras of this ficticious band as they change. Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm really starting to like this idea! :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I'd be willing to hammer out a rough story idea for something like that that we could then work on together.
There's no need for that, the story already exists. Just make a couple of changes here and there and there you have it.
Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

Massed Gadgets wrote:This is rather ambitious, but we could try to do an album that emulated the style for each major era of Floyd, i.e., The Syd Era, The space rock era, the experimental/pastoral pre-DSTOM era, the classic era, the post RW era, or something like that.

Or, we could do a song cycle with 1-3 songs emulating each era (perhaps a double CD length) and following a story, perhaps the rise and fall of a fictious Pink Floyd-like band, that way people would get to pick songs to write from their favourite eras. I'd be willing to hammer out a rough story idea for something like that that we could then work on together. Like a Floyd album, we could layer in voices, like fake interview clips from the various eras of this ficticious band as they change. Actually, as I'm writing this, I'm really starting to like this idea! :D
Fantastic idea Massed Gadget, the ultimate PF tribute album ,an ode to Syd and to the other member of PF! 8) :)
This way it would touch all the fans of different Era's!