Live with(out) guest artists?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
bassplayerforpulse
Axe
Axe

Re: Live with(out) guest artists?

Post by bassplayerforpulse »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
Yucateco wrote: What about Snowy White and Dick Parry who played on all ´77 concerts?
These two musicians were NOT on the stage for the Animals"77 concert on 07/04/77 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I would love to see, and buy, a video or DVD of that concert. Hopefully, some day it will be released.
I'd like to see a video of this show too. You've mentioned before they played DSOTM in its entirety. I saw the same concert in Louisville, KY., but the only encore was Money. They did use two backing musicians though.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
Yucateco wrote: What about Snowy White and Dick Parry who played on all ´77 concerts?
These two musicians were NOT on the stage for the Animals"77 concert on 07/04/77 at Madison Square Garden in NYC.
They were
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

Momma u fooling us??!
Sure there were extra musicians for both 77 (Snowy+Dick) and Wall Tours (surrogate band).
U never saw PF live or u were high.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

J Ed wrote:
and what about Steven Hawking?
did he ever rock out with the floyds onstage in 1994?
Yes, instead of using the bed that crashes into the stage via cable from the back of the stadium in On the Run, they rigged a 'space chair' for Stephen Hawking and sent him down the cable on Keep Talking. I believe it was the Oakland show. Good stuff.
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
These two musicians were NOT on the stage for the Animals"77 concert on 07/04/77 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I would love to see, and buy, a video or DVD of that concert. Hopefully, some day it will be released.
Oh, but they was. don't touch the brown acid man.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

cRaB wrote:Momma u fooling us??!
Sure there were extra musicians for both 77 (Snowy+Dick) and Wall Tours (surrogate band).

Not fooling.........and yes....I have seen every concert in the NewYork/New Jersey area since Animals'77. At the July 4,1977 concert, there were some members of the audience throwing firecrackers from the upper tier seats. During the intermission, it was announded by someone from MSG that Mr. Waters requested that fireworks not be used. Surprisingly, for a NYC audience, the fireworks stopped.

Really wish Floyd would release a video or DVD of that concert in NYC. That was I, and you, could see if there were additional musicians. Maybe I was breathing in too much of the air around me :D
bassplayerforpulse
Axe
Axe

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
cRaB wrote:Momma u fooling us??!

Not fooling.........and yes....I have seen every concert in the NewYork/New Jersey area since Animals'77. At the July 4,1977 concert, there were some members of the audience throwing firecrackers from the upper tier seats. During the intermission, it was announded by someone from MSG that Mr. Waters requested that fireworks not be used. Surprisingly, for a NYC audience, the fireworks stopped.

Really wish Floyd would release a video or DVD of that concert in NYC. That was I, and you, could see if there were additional musicians. Maybe I was breathing in too much of the air around me :D
Firecrackers were also thrown at the Louisville show. At one point I thought they were going to stop the show. As far as additional musicians there was another guitarist, who I'm sure was Snowy White, and another keyboardist that I suspect was Jon Carin.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

People... there were Snowy White and Dick Parry touring with the band in 1977... they were on stage EVERY concert of the 77 Animal tour.

No additional keyboarder, and especially not Jon Carin since he would have been a bit young for a tour since he was only 12 years old back then.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Snowy White played every concert on 1977 tour. On some of the concerts he even appeared for the encore in the absence of David Gilmour, who has been very disappointed by that tour.
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

j. carin??!
oh man... stop the madness :?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Maybe it was Harry Waters? :smt077
bassplayerforpulse
Axe
Axe

Yucateco wrote:People... there were Snowy White and Dick Parry touring with the band in 1977... they were on stage EVERY concert of the 77 Animal tour.

No additional keyboarder, and especially not Jon Carin since he would have been a bit young for a tour since he was only 12 years old back then.
Sorry everyone, I sure missed that one. I do however remember an additional keyboardist helping Rick.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

bassplayerforpulse wrote:
Yucateco wrote:People... there were Snowy White and Dick Parry touring with the band in 1977... they were on stage EVERY concert of the 77 Animal tour.

Sorry everyone, I sure missed that one. I do however remember an additional keyboardist helping Rick.
Nope, there was NO additional keyboard player on the 77 tour [-o<
bassplayerforpulse
Axe
Axe

Yucateco wrote:
bassplayerforpulse wrote: Sorry everyone, I sure missed that one. I do however remember an additional keyboardist helping Rick.
Nope, there was NO additional keyboard player on the 77 tour [-o<
I found this on Wikipedia.

The Animals tour was the first tour since their 1972 tour that Pink Floyd didn't use female backing singers. The musicians that augmented the band for the tour was sax player Dick Parry (occasionally playing keyboards too out of view of the audience) and guitarist Snowy White (who would also help out on bass guitar on some of the songs).

The additional keyboardist I saw was obviously Dick Parry. I remember Snowy playing bass on Animals and Roger on electric rhythm guitar.
manonthemoog
Embryo
Embryo

Post by manonthemoog »

I just listened to the 1978 King Biscuit interview with David Gilmour and he says that there was an "extra keyboard player and an extra guitar player playing along with us, because they became necessary." :shock:
I guess they felt they needed another keyboardist to duplicate some of the parts on Animals. I don't remember hearing a second keyboardist on any '77 boots. Of course these are not the best sounding recordings so its probably easy to miss the additional keyboards. I need to go back and listen more carefully to the Animals songs.

Who was this mystery player? Was it Dick Parry? I doubt Gilmour would have referred to him as an "extra keyboard player"