Stalking Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
luminous_grin
Embryo
Embryo

Stalking Syd Barrett

Post by luminous_grin »

Here is the reason that the Astral Piper forum was shut by it's owner, Dion Johnson

These allegations were posted on the forum - they originate from a source close to Mr Johnson

(note -I'm not presenting them as facts -merely the fact that they were posted and are the reason behind the forum being shut)

"Fact:
In 1998 while in the UK on holiday Dion shot the now infamous “Syd Barrett Stalker Video”.
Apart from secretly filming “Syd” he approached “Syd” in the middle of the street to have a chat, knocked on his door and left a gift on his doorstep.
On this trip he visited and filmed all the places relevant to “Syd”, eg Glisson Rd, Hills Rd, Whetherby Mansions, Cambridge Corn Exchange, etc.
On his arrival back in Australia Dion compiled all the footage, the end result being, “R. K Barrett - A Day So Dark So Warm”, produced by Reflecting Electric Eye Films. This video was sold on-line, it’s was for sale in a number of Alternate record stores, namely in Adelaide, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The Brisbane and Gold Coast videos went on sale after he moved to Queensland in September 2001 (on sale for $30AUD).
About 3 years ago he removed the videos from sale at these establishments (as it wasn’t selling that well), but continued to sell it at Record Fairs in Brisbane and the Gold Coast (last Record Fair at which it was for sale was approx 18 months ago). For these an “import” sticker was created and price stickers with pound symbols.
(The title “A Day So Dark So Warm” and the fictitious production company name “Reflecting Electric Eye Films” was used again in 1990 when Dion produced a short film for a film festival)

Fact:
In January/February 2002 while in the UK to attend the David Gilmour concert at Festival Hall, Dion went to Cambridge again to see “Syd”. Again he filmed the various places relevant to “Syd”. In the book “Madcap: The Half-Life of Syd Barrett, "Pink Floyd's" Lost Genius by Tim Willis, Dion is quoted as saying he was commissioned by the group, who erected the bench in the Botanical Gardens in honour of Syd, to tell “Syd” of the bench. The group didn’t know that Dion was going to tell “Syd” where the bench was located.
On the Astral Piper website Dion states “With increased work commitments I am only getting time to tend to this site once or twice a week. I need a lot of time to get this page loaded, as I want it to be just right. Plus I am painting some new work on canvas (of my recollection of this wonderful day) to accompany the page on this site, and I am NOT doing this page without the artwork!”
Dion went to the Botanical Gardens found the bench and drew a map of where the bench was located, went to the library and had a number of copies made. Went and knocked on the door of no. 6 St Margaret’s Square and excitedly, though hesitantly told “Syd” about the bench. At the time Dion had a video camera bag hanging from his shoulder. He proceeded to roll camera (hidden in the bag) as “Syd” opened the door. This meeting was recorded! When “Syd” passed away Dion considered selling this footage to the highest bidder (anonymously). When deciding to place a painting of this meeting on the site, Dion took several screen shots of said meeting and then took a number of shots of him to add to “Syd’s” image. This he edited in Photoshop in order to make it look like a painting. It hasn’t been placed on the website as it still looks too much like a photo. "

The allegations were denied and deleted - and the forum was subsequently shut down.

You can see screenshots of the doorstep video here:
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewt ... =latenight
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Stalking Syd Barrett

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Oh my...I wonder if I know you luminous_grin??? As we have seen, at least part of the allegations is true, namely the hidden camera during the doorstepping visit.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Thanks for the info, luminous
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Imo...and judging by the stuff that he did...that Dion guy should get some professional help.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Darn!!! I was a member of that forum... (Moonchild2)
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

You were Moonchild moom? :o I remember seeing you over there on a rare occasion or two!
HazeyJaneAgain
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HazeyJaneAgain »

Its difficult to know if the allegations per se were the reason for the Forum closing down.I did publicly ask Dion directly on two separate occasions if the allegations regarding the video were true but was unfortunately not afforded the courtesy of an answer.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

HazeyJaneAgain wrote:Its difficult to know if the allegations per se were the reason for the Forum closing down.I did publicly ask Dion directly on two separate occasions if the allegations regarding the video were true but was unfortunately not afforded the courtesy of an answer.
That's true Jane, in that we never did get acknowledgement from Dion, and we most likely never will. However, the two photos of Syd that surfaced last week were obviously taken during that doorstepping meeting, so we do know that the hidden camera allegations are true.
Jascierto
Blade
Blade

Post by Jascierto »

I was a forum member too though i never posted. But for months after that site went live i kept coming back to see if the "a bench for syd" section was updated, since the teasers kept promising something great, and kept stringing me along. I always wondered why the heck dion didn't just write that section, since it was the main part of the website i was interested in. It all makes sense now.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Syd'sSexy wrote:You were Moonchild moom? :o I remember seeing you over there on a rare occasion or two!
Moonchild2, as there already was one Moonchild. Yet maybe we did meet ;)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Some of the guys have issues on that forum, or atleast are a few steps away from reality. They know what colour Roger's door was at various stages on the 1990s! Jeezo. Also they say he looks "grouchy". Thats lame.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

:shock: :shock:

Am I being cyber-stalked?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Not by me, and if you are its betterthan having some shitstain turning up at your door pestering you about something you really prefer not to talk about, whilst stealthily videoing you for the benefits of some retarded failed old hippy types on the internet to wank over.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:49 am
By: Yours Truly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He definitely looks grouchy! No doubt about that! His door was brown, so these definitely were from the 90s before he painted it blue. I don't find them to be disturbing Mark, no more so than his facial expressions during the stalker footage or candid photos taken of him around Cambridge."

Discussion concerning the two recently released doorstepping photographs of Syd from 2002. I guess I am lame. Oh well!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

my breakfast. wrote:Not by me, and if you are its betterthan having some shitstain turning up at your door pestering you about something you really prefer not to talk about, whilst stealthily videoing you for the benefits of some retarded failed old hippy types on the internet to wank over.
I'd film him for just some seconds, but he wouldn't even notice. I'm not the type of guy in your description. I'd do it out of respect for him. It'd be, like, I'd seen my Sun, my greatest inspiration (the only other one'd be my future wife)... not that I'd seen a celebrity or something.