Syd Barrett movie with Johnny Depp?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

Hey i been outta touch=serious family illnesses but i relaised TONIGHT= who could play the part of Syd i think convincingly ina movie! the illusionist Criss Angel! i thought so before and just saw him again..
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

hope you feeling better by now, Maisie :)
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Creek »

If Hollywood would stay out of it, I don't know maybe a U.K. company or an independant film maker. It would be a hard film to make, if it were to stay true to the real story.
CaseyDFloyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CaseyDFloyd »

Does anyone agree that this movie must NEVER, EVER be made. Remember what Oliver Stone to the Doors!? Depp and Kilmer are both great actors, but the only person who could ever portray Syd is Syd himself. I can see it now, all these little teeny-bopper type girls and jerk high school boys going to see this movie, saying that the music sucks, and laughing at Syd's decline, which I would become very upset about. The Floyd practically saved my life and I don't want people who know nothing about them to ruin their good names.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

Has anybody read the "Crazy Diamond" screenplay by Ted Shuttlworth?
narcissus
Axe
Axe

Post by narcissus »

CaseyDFloyd wrote:Does anyone agree that this movie must NEVER, EVER be made. Remember what Oliver Stone to the Doors!? Depp and Kilmer are both great actors, but the only person who could ever portray Syd is Syd himself. I can see it now, all these little teeny-bopper type girls and jerk high school boys going to see this movie, saying that the music sucks, and laughing at Syd's decline, which I would become very upset about. The Floyd practically saved my life and I don't want people who know nothing about them to ruin their good names.
This is what I've been saying! There is so much potential for disaster here.
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Re:

Post by Demolition Man »

CaseyDFloyd wrote:I can see it now, all these little teeny-bopper type girls and jerk high school boys going to see this movie, saying that the music sucks, and laughing at Syd's decline, which I would become very upset about. The Floyd practically saved my life and I don't want people who know nothing about them to ruin their good names.
"Who cares what it's about as long as the kids go?"

Right?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Syd Barrett movie with Johnny Depp?

Post by snifferdog »

When it comes to films like these, do real life people have any say in whether they are in the film or not? Seeing as David Gilmour was miffed at Nick Mason writing Inside Out, I can't see him being overjoyed at someone coming along and writing a fictional account.
jwm224
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jwm224 »

What is the ratio percentage that this project will take place? I want to see it... Even those that don't want it to take place... you will all watch it. It might turn out really good, and there's that chance that they won't mess it up... I think it was George Micheals who said it best, "You got to have faith..." Ok... ok... I promise to never use George Micheals in any state of metaphore or attempt to phrase him, not even in an emergency.
Sonny
Axe
Axe

Re:

Post by Sonny »

CaseyDFloyd wrote:Does anyone agree that this movie must NEVER, EVER be made. Remember what Oliver Stone to the Doors!? Depp and Kilmer are both great actors, but the only person who could ever portray Syd is Syd himself. I can see it now, all these little teeny-bopper type girls and jerk high school boys going to see this movie, saying that the music sucks, and laughing at Syd's decline, which I would become very upset about. The Floyd practically saved my life and I don't want people who know nothing about them to ruin their good names.
Oh, I completely agree! I really really hope there is never a movie about Syd or Pink Floyd. Johnny Depp is a great actor, but he's no Syd. He's way too old, looks nothing like Syd, and I honestly don't think he could pull it off. It's just an absolutely ludicrous idea. Just another way for Hollywood jerk offs to make money off a great band. Plus, if the movie is ever made, They will probably change so many things.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

The only way I could stomach any kind of Syd Barrett movie is if it were a British-produced documentary-type film. Anything Hollywood would produce for the screen would be totally sensationalised much like The Doors debacle.
Sonny
Axe
Axe

Post by Sonny »

Syd'sSexy wrote:The only way I could stomach any kind of Syd Barrett movie is if it were a British-produced documentary-type film. Anything Hollywood would produce for the screen would be totally sensationalised much like The Doors debacle.
Yes, that's the only way it should be done. If it is done by American Hollywood types, they will probably just shit all over the history of Pink Floyd.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Syd'sSexy wrote:The only way I could stomach any kind of Syd Barrett movie is if it were a British-produced documentary-type film. Anything Hollywood would produce for the screen would be totally sensationalised much like The Doors debacle.
The Doors was really a crappy movie, but when it first came out, the kids loved it. I know a lot of people who started listening to The Doors after seeing the movie, without ever hearing a song of theirs before.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Hudini wrote:The Doors was really a crappy movie.
What can't be denied though as that Val Kilmer is fucking brilliant in it :)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Val Kilmer is brilliant everywhere, even in Top Gun. :lol: I can't stand the sight of Kyle McLaughlan ever since I saw the abominable 'Dune'.