The Division Bell
75%

Total votes: 20

Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

AMLOR or TDB?

Post by Prkl »

Am I the only one that thinks AMLOR if better than TDB? Not that I like either of them that much, but I just think that TDB is a boring album with High Hopes really being the only highlight. As for AMLOR, I think Learing to Fly and Sorrow are fine floydish pop tunes, and the rest of it isn't THAT bad (apart from Dogs of War and A New Machine which no sane person could enjoy).
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

I think they're both utter crap, but if I was forced to choose one over the other I'd go with TDB. I think Cluster One and Marooned are OK. In comparison, MLOR really has nothing but crap songs IMO.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I have tried to listen Division Bell but I have always skipped to High Hopes, but I have listened Momentary Lapse many times. Those albums are not great, they're not good, they're something bad :). But I like Momentary's artwork :)
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

TDB - better lyrics, not as many crap songs.

and if you think about it as not being a Pink Floyd album, its not that bad ;)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Personally i like TDB artwork.

I don't really like either album, but i prefer TDB. I suppose the reason more people will (aside from AMLOR being crap) is because it sounded closer to the old Floyd and also it was deeper and has shorter songs (come on, a ten minute track like Dogs Of war.) Also the band sound more confident and revisit old ideas rather than just trying to totally change the band. I beleive TDB was made as a peace offering from dave to his fans over the travesty that was AMLOR.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like the division bell more as it has more depth in my opinion and more to think about. AMLOR was a waste of time and effort.
jizhomer
Blade
Blade

Post by jizhomer »

Wow!!

The pressures really on for me to come forward and announce that The Division Bell is one of my favourite Floyd albums.

Agreed, High Hopes is the highlight of the album but I also rate Keep Talking, Wearing The Inside Out (I know the solo at the end is very comfy numb, but hey, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it), I even love Cluster One.

Daves playing is just so... refined. Its a pleasure to hear him.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

kjnpf wrote:I like the division bell more as it has more depth in my opinion and more to think about. AMLOR was a waste of time and effort.
I would agree that TDB has more depth without a doubt. It definately has more structure to it as far as the theme goes. AMLOR does not have any theme and is more or less just a collection of songs, BUT I like AMLOR for a few reasons:

Keep in mind that for Floyd fans in 1987 (including myself) the feeling of hearing a new Floyd album was huge. I can still remember waiting by the radio to hear "the new song from Pink Floyd, Learning to fly". I was 21 at the time and had already been a Floyd fan for 5-6 years so this was really big. At the time I wasn't thinking " Gee, no Roger" or " Gee, Dave hired a bunch of studio musicians". I was just looking forward to hear it. So I think part of my like for the album is due to the fact that I was old enough at the time to anticipate it and enjoy it when it actually happened.

I will admit that "Dogs of war" and "a new machine 1-2" Aren't my favs but "LTF, Sorrow, OTTA I think are great songs in my opinion. PLUS, seeing it live like I did just reinforced it.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Just got both of them, i like AMLOR better so far, but TDB is still good. I love learning to fly and one slip
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

If I had to choose, I'd go for AMLOR over the bland-ass TDB. I don't consider it a Floyd record but it has one or two nice moments on it although I think the universal favorite track 'Learning to Fly' is a hideous chunk of 80s wishy-washy toss.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Though I love both of these albums. I would go for the Divison Bell... I love all the tracks! (EXCEPT TAKE IT BACK)!
ravingdrooling
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ravingdrooling »

i thought that this was a PF board...neither of those are pink floyd records...neither is the Final Cut or PATGOD.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

ravingdrooling wrote:i thought that this was a PF board...neither of those are pink floyd records...neither is the Final Cut or PATGOD.
If PATGOD isn't a Pink Floyd album, then what is it? Syd's first solo album? :roll:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Pink floyd were born and they made PATGOD. Arguably, that is the only Pink Floyd albums as one of the 2 co-founders of the band was eased out then after he became too much to handle. The others wanted to be a pop group and rake the money in at that point.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Damned good point, Keith.