the Moody Blues

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
henno

the Moody Blues

Post by henno »

without having done much of an effort in regards to a search.....

i listened to the first 4 hours of 'The Mooody Blues' time traveller 5 cd compliation today... (i had a feckin long drive to do...)... and i have to say 'why were this band never alerted to my attention before....!!!!???!!!???'

they have everything i like in a band... quirky, english, clever, progressive, melodical, intelligent, sonically agreeable and pomp.... i dont know much about their background and only searched them out as i love 'forever autumn' from the 'war of the worlds' jeff wayne cd....

have we any other moody blues fans out there.....???
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Re: the Moody Blues

Post by cwta eugene »

I've got their "Best Of" album. Never listened to it. Perhaps I'll check it out and let you know what I think.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I've loved The Moody Blues for pretty much as long as I've loved Floyd (over a quarter of a century). I've seen the twice live. The first time was just the band, and they did a mindblowing version of Legend of a Mind at that show, which is one of my favourite songs by them. The second time was with a symphony orchestra, which was pretty cool especially when they were doing stuff from Days of Future Passed. I love most of the their classic albums, and even some of their 80's stuff too, but my favourites are To Our Children's Children's Children and In Search of the Lost Chord (of course, On the Threshold of a Dream, Question of Balance, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Seventh Sojourn are all quintessential too). From the 80's, Long Distance Voyager and Sur La Mer were nice albums as well.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

The Moody Blues' Every Good Boy Deserves Favour was the very first "proper" LP that I ever bought using my own money back in the early 70s, and would still feature on my list of 10 all time favourite albums. They were the first rock band that I was into as a teenager when I'd only very vague ideas about who Pink Floyd were or what their music sounded like and I went on to buy most of their early albums, On the Threshold of a Dream being possibly my second favourite. I recently bought a DVD of them at the Royal Albert Hall back in 2000 and they were just as good as I remembered them from way back in the 70s.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I enjoy there music immensely. Went to Bournemouth ages ago to a concert of there’s had a fantastic time. I love the song of there’s called New Horizons. Can't think what cd it's from anyhow check it out.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

oldhippy wrote:I love the song of there’s called New Horizons
Thats really an amazing song. I only have Seventh Sojourn by them, but my dad has the entire discography. I think i'll check them out soon!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Ouh yes, a great band. I use to listen to them alot when i whas a kido, becouse my brothers loved them too...i'm not like collecting bootlegs from them but i heard a couple of albums.
Top music. Very emotional.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

The Moody Blues are great.

Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

The Moody Blues have always been in my top 5 favorite bands of all time. Along with Meddle and Led Zeppelin II, A Question of Balance were the first three rock albums I was exposed to as a young teenager, and all 3 of those albums continue to remain on my list of favorites. I don't care much for their later output though. I saw them live during the summer of 2005. Justin Hayward still sounds as he did when he first began his career! Graeme Edge needs to retire though, sadly. They are apparently in the process of recording a new album.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Oh, man...henno. On The Threshold of A Dream has GOT to be in my top ten of all time. My brother had it in his record collection back in the day (how many people have been turned on to great music because of their older brother/sisters record collection?) Although the songs could all work as "singles", it works as an "album". Very creepy cover artwork too. That definitely counted back then! Mike Pinder's Mellotron work was masterful. Nobody talks much about that guy. But Threshold is the one that I love. It's got a really vivid vibe to it.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Over the years I've been on again off again with this band...I guess the Mellotron gets on my nerves after a while. And, well, they just seem to lack an edge...like the are on the edge of being on the edge...I'd imagine they were something else in the late 1960's...but they sound a little dated and "easy-listening"...but, I don't mind them still.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

I like the Moody Blues. Especially 'Long distance voyager' is a wonderful album.
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

Of course you are my bright little star!

A brilliant band!
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

henno wrote:they have everything i like in a band... quirky, english, clever, progressive, melodical, intelligent, sonically agreeable and pomp.... i
Boy, you said it, henno, that pretty much sums up everything i like about them! I can agree also that sometimes they seem to sort of phase out into the vague, unknown land of the easy-listening, but then, when i least suspect it, they hit me from behind with something absolutely magnanimous and i am then struck with awe and wierd sort of contentment.

Oh man, if i thought Days of the Future Passed and In Search of The Lost Chord were really great, then Every Boy Deserves Favour blows them out of the water! Not to mention Threshold of a Dream. Personally, i'm most drawn in by their earlier, very 60's-sounding stuff, that adds to the general bounce of their music.

It took me a while to get into them properly since id only ever listen to Lost Chord and Our Children's Children's (Children's?) Children, etc. when doing really vexing homework. :P And i didn't really think i would manage to get too enthusiastic until i put on Every Boy.

Every Boy and Threshold are great albums to start with, as well as Lost chord. I personally, was given ALL of them by my aunt, and started with the earliest one (the best tactic to apply to about any unfamiliar group with LOTS of albums)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

My FAVORITE songs by the Moody's are from their "later" period...Sitting At The Wheel and In Your Wildest Dreams.

However, I also love Ride My See Saw, is it Legend Of The Mind? (the "Timothy Leary's Dead" song,) Nights In White Satin (of course...it's like their Stairway To Heaven,) and there are a couple of others that escape me right now.

Never heard one of their albums, though. I should maybe do that sometime.